Roundtable 4: Workforce Housing
Workforce Housing Session 4
*Small group, so a more flowing conversation*
· Missing middle
· Want solution for rural housing crunch
· Shifting community acceptance around affordable housing developments
· Creative solutions
Affordable housing/deed restricted
· Could be tiered… could have exceptions (e.g. critical community role, like teachers)
Workforce housing (is this the same as employee housing?)
Employee housing: housing required for employee to provide; lose your job lose your house
· BC you can use the tourism tax if you can demonstrate housing needs (maybe not the missing middle)
· Xshaw – built rental housing for their teachers (Canmore talking about it too)
· Public-private partnership – town Canmore secured some for own staff (transitional housing, perhaps for missing middle)
· Parks Canada –provides across employee housing, mostly in the park
· Resort centres required to provide a certain housing percent (e.g. Malcolm Hotel) – this requirement in land-use bylaw and area structure plans (not missing middle)
· Can you tax second home owners (BC – three places, not AB; US at least some places, ok)
· CO – you can use a real estate transfer tax….
· Could you zone mixed use in your master plan and would that be a tool?
· Employee housing strategy to apply to businesses going forward; apply to new development (question is how to do to existing development).
· most base homes in expensive communities are luxury homes – only high end developers
· perception that all can’t live in a community but missing that need that city needs a community to support the community
· Downzoning = must compensate them