14 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Clabber Girl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
2 large egg
For the Filling
1. Place the frozen vegetables in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil. Cook vegetables until they are tender, about 5-10 minutes. Drain and set the vegetables aside.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until just barely tender. Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and flour. Stir until well combined. Then add the cream and stir continually while cooking until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Pour sauce mixture over vegetables, add the cooked chicken and stir everything together until coated well with the sauce mixture. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
For the Cornbread Topping
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, and salt and stir to combine together. Add the milk, melted butter, and eggs. Stir together until mixture is well blended and smooth.
2. Spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the vegetable mixture in the baking dish. Spread out the cornbread mixture to cover the filling. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 -24 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden on top.