Gateway Regional High School
8th Grade Social Studies
firstname.lastname@example.org (This is the best form of communication)
8th Grade: All information will be posted on Google Classroom.
8th Grade: Creating America. Students will study United States history from the developing of The Colonies all the way to the Civil War. Creating America will allow students to develop critical thinking skills from multiple sources. Through interactive approaches students will make personal connections to the people, events and issues that form the panorama of American history.
Course Expectations and Assessments
- Tests-50% - usually 3 per marking period.
- Quizzes-35% - usually 5 per marking period
- Classwork-15% - everyday class assignments
Major Assessments for the upcoming year.
- 1st Marking Period: #MyColonialLife Project Unit 2 Assessment Benchmark 1
- 2nd Marking Period: Unit 3 DBQ Essay Unit 4 Assessment Benchmark 2
- 3rd Marking Period: Unit 5 DBQ Essay Unit 6 Assessment Benchmark 3
- 4th Marking Period: Unit 7 DBQ Essay Unit 8 Assessment Benchmark 4
- There will be a review given for every test.
- Retests are for tests only. There are no retakes on quizzes.
- You can only retest if your classwork/homework is up to date (for that particular unit) on the day of the original test.
- Late work will have points deducted.
Required and Recommended Materials
- A chromebook everyday.
- A trapperkeeper or folder for occasional handouts
- A set of earbuds
- Extra help is offered. Contact your teacher for available times.
Rules and Expectations
- A charged Chromebook is needed everyday.
- A Pencil or Pen.
- Only water is allowed at your desk. If anything else is brought into class, you will be asked to either put it in your locker or throw it away. If you play with your water bottle (excessive noise) you will be given the same alternatives.
- No food is allowed in the classroom. If anything else is brought into class, you will be asked to either put it in your locker or throw it away. Gum is permitted as long as it is not a distraction. (You show it...You throw it!)
- All phones need to be put away before class starts. A warning will be given to put phones away. The 2nd time, you will have to put your phone in front of the class for the rest of the class period. You may use your phone in class, for instruction, with teacher permission.
- Please leave your backpack in your locker. You really only need your chromebook and a trapper keeper for occasional handouts.
- Be careful of plagiarism. We will review what is and what is not plagiarism. Do your own work.
And above all else:
- TRY YOUR BEST AT ALL TIMES!
- SMILE! YOU LOOK GOOD DOING IT!