ORRC_logo_200.jpg

Return to OregonRoadRunnersClub.org

Board Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Oregon Sports Office Conference Room
6:00 p.m. to  7:50 p.m.

ATTENDANCE

Times

In Attendance: Steve Wright, Alan Smith, Hal Brockman, Mike Pagalan, Jacob Campbell, Noel Tavan, Meg DuMez, Randy Grant

           Excused: Dave Cook

           Guests:  Jean Knaack, RRCA Executive Director; Janne Boone-Heinonen, Red Lizard

AGENDA ITEMS

  • Call to Order, Announcement and Introductions

6:00 p.m.

6:01 p.m.

  • Welcome Jean Knaack
  • 2020 RRCA Convention Updates

*Website updates, hotel site visit, food,

*Group runs -- ID local volunteers for leaders, turn spots; provide longer route options; range of paces; RunSignUp; Morning runs -- formsite(?); post fun run shirts and medals provided by Leslie Jordan and Ashworth respectively for both days.

*Friday -- park blocks to PSU, McCormick, Tom McCall (approx. 5k)

*Saturday -- Waterfront to Tilikum Crossing Bridge to Steel Bridge (approx. 5k)

*Recruit volunteers 2-3 months in advance, Red Lizards anticipated to lead Saturday run

RunSignUp; at runs, volunteer wear their local club shirts.  At hotel, wear ORRC provided conference shirts.

*Education sessions

*Keynote speakers (Oregon Sports Authority)

*Sunday -- Nike? -- Find connection (Jean will reach out)

6:05 p.m.

  •   Board Committee Reports (Consent Items)
  • Treasurer - Steve (filling in for Dave)

*Net profits and registrations numbers are down, but profit still positive YTD.

*Expenses (prof services) to be further broken down for June meeting

*Expenses up significantly -- need to analyze by race to determine source(s) for June meeting

*Finances need to be topic for RD workshop

  • Membership - Alan

*Stable (approx. 800; 80% individ.)

  • Race Operations
  • Vernonia - Steve

*Registration down

*Down 17% revenue (greater mix of half to full runners)

*Expenses up (shirts, flaggers)

  • Hagg Lake - Steve
  • P&L - too early to call

*Registration numbers down from last year

*Road survey (price a bigger factor than 2018; Areas to improve: awards ceremony; keeping course open and food avail.; course markings)

  • Dual Duel - Jacob, Mike

*Good learning experience

*Good results for first time with new RDs and new date; timing issues -- need to change date to get Jeff Huber

  • UTLR - Alan, Hal

*Memorial Day; Lake Oswego permits secured; question about legal wording on insurance certificate; registration down about 10%

  • Summer Solstice - Alan, Hal

*June 20 (Thurs) at Zoo

  • July 4th - Alan

*Thursday in Wilsonville (Mentor Graphics)

  • Garlic Festival - Steve

*Aug. 10

  • Best Dam Run - Steve

*Mid-Sept.; April and Peggy RDs

  • Greenway Trail
  • Blue Lake - Alan and Hal

*October

  • Autumn Leaves - Noel and Jacob

*Registration open

*May need to relocate start/finish

  • Turkey Trot - Steve, Alan, Hal, Dave Cook

  • Equipment and Storage - Hal

*Three May rentals; multiple inquiries including Wine Country Half and Brooksee Portland Marathon

  • Marketing/Social Media - Randy, Meg, Mike

*Active social media; need more content from RDs 

  • Administration - Steve

*Jobs available for board and non-board members

*Take over from Alan; distribute newsletter; surveys

  • Co-Treasurer

*Steve and Dave Cook to meet with Doug and Paul

  • Legal Counsel - Charles Greef, Esq.

*Charlie is backward runner on half marathons; straightforward on legal advice though

 6:20 p.m.

OLD BUSINESS

  • Hal 
  • # 10 - To contribute time, talent and financial support to the larger Oregon community.  This is in conjunction with developing a strong and large volunteer base needed to support community and ORRC events.
  • Meg 
  • # 3 -To provide training and education programs for runners, running coaches, race directors, race volunteers and other special interests that emerge as priorities of the sport emerge.
  • Noel

  • #3 - To provide training and education programs for runners, running coaches, race directors, race volunteers and other special interests that emerge as priorities of the sport emerge.

  • Randy
  • #9 - To work with members to actively engage the next generation of runners to participate in ORRC events and administration to ensure the long-term stability of ORRC, the sport of running, and develop future leaders for the sport.
  • Jacob
  • #3 - To provide training and education programs for runners, running coaches, race directors, race volunteers and other special interests that emerge as priorities of the sport emerge.

     6:50 p.m.

  • Board Self Assessment - Steve

      6:52 p.m.

*Consider roles to take on for conference

*Jean K. will provide more detail on blocks for volunteers

      6:54 p.m.

  • Proposed addition to Registration Waiver  question for Jean Knaack - Steve and Jacob

*RD ejection of sexual predator language in waiver

*Sex offender registry not a protected class

*Permitted races not a public space -- persons can be ejected

*Proposed wording to be sent to RRCA for approval by Steve

      7:05 p.m

  • July 4th - proposal to have ORRC match donations from participants for Reason to Run program with limit of $500 total ORRC contribution (document link) - Alan

*Approved earlier via email

      7:10 p.m

      7:12 p.m.

*Will review with Will Cortez

      7:13 p.m.

  • Mike Blackmore, Oregon Association of Oregon USAT&F, Linfield head XC coach, asst. track coach; looking for host of USATF event (Blue Lake 5k). Sanction fee of $95 to national office. Event title: Oregon Association Open (19-39) and Masters 5k Championship. Blue Lake Race Directors will respond to Mike regarding whether accept Mike’s offer to host 2019 Oregon Association Open (19-39) and Masters 5k Championship.

      7:14 p.m.

*Jean Knaack will hammer out schedule and determine roles for club vs RRCA

  • Custom gear for RDs -- Noel Tavan (get link)

*What is budget? Noel will prepare proposal for June board meeting.

*Create permanent budget line for RD gear?

     7:15 p.m.

NEW BUSINESS

     

  • Increased cost drivers

*Increased revenue from 2017 to 2018

  • Awards - $10k to $38k - set a base price

*Medals are awards

*Noel gathering info from RDs to help ID best practices/costs

  • Permits, licenses - $38k to $53K guess where?

*Additional $15k from zoo charge

  • Professional Services $28K to $41K- $2.8k pictures, Athletic (*New timer Athletic Timing is more expensive than Huber), increased registration, certify (*More courses certified);

       7:25 p.m.

  • Issue Hal credit card - Steve

*Moved and approved

       7:35 p.m.

ROUND TABLE

               *Mike: Permitting in Portland?

               *Alan: All races can use more volunteers; new incentive policy ($45 v 10k) to be run by RDs at June 30 meeting.

               *Steve: new RunSignUp non-profit program; webinar next Wednesday

               *Noel: Question for Jean on Autumn Leaves; will check with Andy (RRCA) on western regional championship in 2020. Question to Steve on 2019 State Championship - why wasn’t Autumn Leaves chosen.  As it turned out, form had 2018 race date included, rather than correct 2019 date.  Changed, resubmitted and Andy listed the event as a 2019 RRCA Championship Series event.

      7:45 p.m.

ADJOURN

      7:50 p.m.