Tairangi School Procedure Statement
CARE AND PROTECTION NAG 3 Personnel
NAG 5 Health & Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- In all decisions relating to these procedures the paramount consideration is the welfare, safety and interests of the child.
- The Keeping Ourselves Safe programme will be taught school-wide as set out in the Phys Ed and Health Implementation document. This preventative education is designed to enhance children’s safety and awareness.
- Staff of CYFS will train our staff to help them identify suspected abuse and/or neglect and to be able to respond appropriately. Training will occur every two years.
- If a child discloses they have been sexually, physically or verbally abused, listen and support them. It is important that you say you believe them and that it is not their fault.
- Do not question or interview the child but immediately following the disclosure write down the information given and check that comments and events surrounding the concern have also been recorded.
- Inform the Principal of the disclosure. The Principal will ensure that the child has a responsible adult supporting them through the process and that the support role is clearly defined. The Principal will notify CYFS or the Police. Following notification we will await further contact.
- After notification support will be put in place for staff members to whom the disclosures were made.
- In the case of a report to the school by a third party, the first course of action is that the school will direct the third party to a helping agency without becoming involved. The school may be involved later. The identity of any informant will be kept confidential.
- Where a staff member is concerned about possible abuse or neglect of a child they may discuss it with a senior staff member. Any factual concerns or observations about the safety of a child are to be documented and filed in the incident folder in the Principal’s office. The Principal will be informed and then may seek advice on the appropriate action.
- In the case of allegation of abuse made against a staff member, the Principal will inform the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees. Both will then inform the staff member who will be advised to seek legal and/or union representation. CYFS and the Police may be informed. The school will inform the union if the employee is a member. The staff member may be suspended on full pay once an investigation has begun. At this stage the rest of the staff will be informed. Close liaison with CYFS and the Police will occur throughout any investigation. Any complaints or allegations will be recorded from the outset.
Care and Protection Procedures Flow Chart of Action
Child or young person discloses
abuse or abuse is suspected
Education and training for
everyone working in the
If immediate danger or safety
is an issue act with urgency
Listen to the child or young
person and reassure them
they did the right thing
Any factual concerns or
observations about the safety
of a child or young person
should be documented
Inform the Principal
Document any objective
observations and anything
said by the child
Ring NZCYFS or the Police
Await further contact from
NZCYFS or Police before
Get support for yourself
from appropriate persons
Points to Note:
- Documentation may subsequently be used in court as evidence for either side.
- Avoid making judgments, simply record the facts
- Interviewing of suspected abuse victims is a specialized procedure best left to those who are trained in such techniques.
- The child advocate should be responsible for ensuring that the child’s welfare remains paramount.
File:careprotect35.doc Procedure Statement – Care & Protection