Head of Department, Humanities
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 350 students in standards 6-12 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500.
Students engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
Head of the Humanities Department
The Humanities curriculum helps students understand overarching themes and ideas connected to civilization, culture and society, and develop argumentative, debate and research skills.
Heads of Department at Avasara Academy uphold the highest professional standards, exemplify reflective practice, contribute to the overall development at Avasara through work on the Instructional Team, and lead the following in their departments:
- Proactively build a healthy school culture that supports students' academic, extra-curricular, and socio/emotional needs and values all staff members, students, families, visitors and supporters.
- Provide instructional leadership by maintaining a focus on high student achievement, analysing student data to inform instruction, and keeping abreast of current affairs and developments in the area of Humanities teaching.
- Set departmental goals and enhance coordination across the curriculum.
- Work in partnership with the Leadership and Instructional Teams to achieve departmental objectives.
- Serve on, and lead committees as required.
Instructional Planning and Delivery
- Plan and design curriculum.
- Model curriculum design and guide others through a gradual release of responsibility.
- Oversee the planning and design of the following curricula:
- World History in Standards 6 to 9.
- Global Perspectives and Research IGCSE in Standards 9 and 10.
- Economics, Global Perspectives and Research, Psychology and Sociology AS and A levels in Standards 11 and 12.
- Make and contribute to decisions related to external examinations.
- Teach classes in the department, modeling best practice in planning, instruction, and assessment.
Teacher supervision, support and development
- Provide feedback on planning and assessment.
- Regularly observe and give feedback to teachers.
- Identify, and find ways to remediate, skill and knowledge gaps in teachers and/or the department.
- Conduct 1:1 meetings with teachers and provide for transparent, constructive and ongoing evaluation of faculty.
- Ensure that all students make appropriate progress in learning in a safe, positive, and challenging learning atmosphere.
- Plan and facilitate department meetings.
Personnel, Resources, and Space
- Recruit teachers and determine curriculum assignments.
- Manage resources and rooms.
- Manage ordinary leave requests.
- Develop and administer the departmental budget.
Dispositions of the Ideal Candidate:
- You enjoy working with children.
- You have a sound understanding of how learning happens.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions to problems.
- You are extremely driven.
- You are highly organized and manage complex systems
- You are flexible and can adapt to change.
- You are a highly reflective practitioner.
- You are an excellent manager and know how to delegate, set goals, and identify areas for development.
- You are responsive to feedback from multiple stakeholders within the organization.
- You are an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Interdependence, Fortitude, and Optimism.
- You believe wholeheartedly in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- M.A./M.Ed. degree or equivalent in a Humanities subject is preferred.
- Fluency in English.
- Proficiency in Hindi and/or Marathi.
- At least five years’ teaching experience.
- Experience teaching a Humanities subject.
- Experience teaching English Language Learners.
- Experience with instructional coaching.
- Experience with instructional leadership
- Experience using data to drive instructional practices and curriculum development.
- Experience with exceptional independent or international school programs.
Location: Pune, India
Compensation: A competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience, will be provided.
Start Date: May 2020
To Apply: Email email@example.com with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position.