Greenville County Schools (GCS) eLearning will begin March 18!
All students are expected to continue with their lessons using the resources provided by the school district.
Here is a summary of the GCS “Parent eLearning Information” page in Spanish to help our Spanish-speaking families and children have equal access to learning. Complete information is provided in English at this webpage:
Please call your school’s Spanish-speaking representative, or your child’s homeroom teacher if you have specific questions. If you still have questions, call our Hispanic Alliance Outreach Coordinator, Dina Estrada, at (864) 256-0760.
WHAT IS eLEARNING?
- eLearning means that students will be learning and completing school work by connecting with their teachers online through a program called Google Classroom.
- Google Classroom is an online platform that your child’s teacher will use to provide homework, hold classes, and send grades and feedback, all in one place. It is VERY IMPORTANT that your child can access Google Classroom on the internet, or that he or she has paper copies of all school work. Even if you do not have internet at home, as long as you can access the internet from time to time, the assignments will download to Google Classroom for your child to access offline.
- Students will need to complete all assignments in order to review content and learn new content needed for next year.
HOW LONG WILL WE USE eLEARNING?
- eLearning will be used for regularly scheduled school days for the rest of March (March 18 - March 31), except for Friday, March 20 (teacher professional development day), and Monday, March 23 (student holiday).
- Schools may continue to be closed in April. If so, students will continue to use eLearning. GCS will provide more information to families when this decision is made by the Governor.
HOW TO BEGIN USING eLEARNING:
- Students in 3rd grade or higher will use the Chrome Book computer provided by the school district to access Google Classroom.
- Teachers will respond to questions through their Google Classroom or directly to a student through the student email during their regular class schedule.
- If your child is in Pre-Kindergarten through 2nd grade, you can pick a up a packet of work from your child’s school or you can download their work from their teacher’s website. If you do not have a personal computer, internet access, and a printer, read the instructions below under “What to do if you do not have internet access at home.”
- GOOGLE CLASSROOM TUTORIAL
- Follow this link to instructions with pictures: http://bit.ly/3b88nTi
- Hispanic Alliance translated this into Spanish from the English version provided by GCS.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS AT HOME:
- If your family does not have internet access or a printer, you should pick up school work during regular school hours (7:30 am - 5:30 pm) on Wednesday or Thursday, March 18-19. If your school provided a schedule of hours for pick up, please go during these times if possible.
- Teachers are creating most assignments so students can access them on their Chromebooks without the internet. Electronic homework assignments for grades 3-8 can be downloaded without access to the internet. For instructions on how to do this, click here (instructions from GCS translated by Hispanic Alliance).
- Students without access to the internet may call the teacher work phone during the teacher’s regular class schedule.
- If the student does not have internet access, all work will be due within ten days of returning to school.
OPTIONS FOR INTERNET ACCESS
- You and your student may access the wifi internet in the parking lot or bus drive of any school facility in Greenville County Schools. Parking in these areas is allowed between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm. Do not come into the office to connect to Wi-Fi as we are trying to maintain social distancing as much as possible.
HOW TO GET STUDENT CHROMEBOOKS REPAIRED
- We will be stocking each Career Center with 500 spare devices.
- Student Chromebooks that require repair can be swapped out for another device at one of our four Career Centers during the hours 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday - Thursday.
- This will be a drive-through repair center where parents and students do not need to get out of their cars.
- If the parent cannot get to a Career Center, they should contact the District Help Desk at 355-4357.
- Career Center Locations:
- Donaldson Career Center, 100 Vocational Drive, Greenville, SC 29605
- Enoree Career Center, 108 Scalybark Road, Greenville, SC 29617
- Golden Strip Career Center, 1120 East Butler Road, Greenville, SC 29607
- Harley Bonds Career Center, 505 North Main Street, Greer, SC 29650 (Use Main street entrance)