Assisting in a code / BLS
For a code in the OR:
- Make sure there is an ambu bag in each room you are assigned to.
- When code is called, be available at bedside, bring crash cart if not already in the room.
- Inquire from the anesthesia provider as to what they require.
- Bring required equipment or supplies to the OR (may need vascular cart or airway cart)
- Provide anesthesia personnel with adequate space to work.
- Clean and restock the equipment utilized during the code after the situation is resolved.
For a code outside the OR:
- Check the code bag each morning and make sure it is adequately stocked. This should include a working handle, blades, ET tubes, CO2 monitor, tongue blades and stylets.
- When code is called, grab the code bag and report to the location of the code.
- Hand the anesthesia provider supplies from the bag as needed.
- Restock the code bag after the code is resolved if any equipment was utilized during the code.