CORPORATE PRAYER FASTING GUIDE
I beseech you therefore; brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
-- Romans 12:1
Put your flesh where it belongs . . . under submission. One of the most powerful lessons you can learn during a fast is how to put your flesh in its rightful place, which is under the authority of God. Your flesh may throw a fit. It might try to sabotage you and tempt you to break the fast or change the guidelines to satisfy its desires. But we are called to walk in the Spirit and not by the flesh. You can work on your self-control muscles during the fast and realize that you don’t have to give in to the whims of your flesh. This is one of the most powerful lessons you can learn during your fast.
We believe that as we humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face and turn from any wickedness, He will hear from heaven, and will forgive our sin and heal our land. Now, His eyes will be open and His ears will be attentive to the prayer made in this place, according to 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Psalm 133:1-3 tells us that when we come together (corporately) in unity, there the Lord has commanded His blessing. Corporate prayer was practiced throughout the Bible. In Acts 13:1-3 as they ministered to the Lord and fasted corporately, the Holy Spirit gave specific directions.
In 2 Chronicles 20, Jehoshaphat, overwhelmed by an invasion, called the people to fast and pray. This corporate prayer and fasting resulted in Judah’s victory over their enemy – without a fight!
In Ezra 8:21-23, Ezra called a time of corporate prayer and fasting to seek God’s wisdom and protection. “Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might fast before our God to seek of Him a right way for us, and for our little ones… so we fasted and entreated our God for this, and He answered our prayer.
PREPARATION TIME - July 29-August 4
Open your heart to the Lord, seek His will for your fast and submit yourself to Him. He will give the strength you need as you commit to Him and allow Him to direct your steps as you prepare.
DATES for Fasting and Prayer -
Sunday, August 5 @ sunset to Sunday, August 26 @ sunrise
Prepare yourself spiritually:
• Confess every sin that the Holy Spirit reveals and accept God’s forgiveness (I John 1:9)
• Forgive all you’ve offended and forgive all who have hurt you (Mark 11:25; Luke 11:4; 17:3-4)
• Surrender fully to Christ as your Lord & Master; refuse to obey worldly nature (Romans 12:1,2)
• Begin your time of fasting and prayer with an expectant heart (Hebrews 11:6)
Perhaps there is a habit to break or a new discipline to embrace. Are there relationships that need healing? Start preparing your spirit now so when you begin your fast you are ready.
Prepare your soul:
• By clearing as many distractions as you can. Distractions can come in many forms including busyness, attitudes, fears and other emotions that are not consistent with God’s ways.
Prepare Your body:
• Start tapering off caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, sugar, candy etc.) so that you are totally free of the substance when you begin your fast. For most people it takes about seven days to withdraw from caffeine. This step is essential if you want to avoid painful and debilitating withdrawal symptoms.
If you have health issues
• Be sure to follow the advice of your physician as you pray to your Great Physician. Due to medical needs or special issues, you may need to modify the fast.
• Keep the core of the fast and make the slight adjustment. This is the same for pregnant or nursing mothers and for athletes who expend a lot of energy.
Get support and encouragement
Whether you are an adult, teen, or child a great way to have support and encouragement is through an accountability partner, a family member or friend. Decide how often you will connect, daily, 3 times a week etc. This will help you stay on track.
Family altar time - daily
As a family, we must establish a family altar in our homes! Most families should already be doing this but if not, this will be a great time to start. Make this a fun and exciting time for your family. Decide as parents/family when you will meet to discuss the daily focus. PRAY together.
Corporate times of worship & prayer
Make every effort to attend our times of corporate prayer and worship.
HEART2HEART intercessory prayer meetings
Every Tuesday @ 10 am - Anthem Campus
August 14 @ 10 am - Prescott Campus
August 5 @ 5 pm - Gilbert Campus