OREGON ROBOTICS TOURNAMENT & OUTREACH PROGRAM
INCLEMENT WEATHER AND EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY
The safety of the team members and our volunteers is the most important consideration. The Oregon Robotics Tournament & Outreach Program (ORTOP) use that consideration to guide all decisions when deciding to cancel, postpone or delay an event.
- As the FIRST Affiliate Partner for Oregon, ORTOP has sole authority to cancel, postpone or delay an event if forecast data from the National Weather Service indicates it may be unsafe for a majority of the teams/volunteers to travel to and from the event.
- If the site host closes their facility because of weather, health or any other emergency related reasons, the event will be canceled.
- Coaches and parents must always assess their own travel route for safety and make their own decision to travel. The safety of of the FIRST Community is the most important consideration; please keep this in perspective.
- Tournament cancellations or delays will be posted to the ORTOP.org Homepage immediately upon the decision to cancel has been made.
- ORTOP staff and Tournament Directors will email both the primary and emergency contact email addresses with notifications or updates. Staff may request confirmation of receipt of this message.
- If necessary, the third method of contact is by phone using the emergency phone number provided by the coach when registering.
- If any of this information has changed, please update your Tournament Director and ORTOP.
- Because event cancellations occur at the last moment, funds are already expended for the event, therefore, ORTOP will not refund tournament fees for canceled events. If an event is canceled, it is often impossible to reschedule it. Site hosts have booked their facilities months in advance and the FIRST season dictates specific deadlines to determine advancement. If an event is rescheduled, teams will not be expected to pay again.
- Advancement slots left open by an event cancellation will be assigned by lottery from teams affected by the cancellation or based on a compiled Advancement list based on awards from the previous level of event.