EAST CENTRAL ISD
Responsible Use Agreement (RUA)
School Year 2020-2021
Our Core Business for Growth:
"We aim to cultivate literate problem-solvers who are prepared to thrive in an interconnected world with a dynamic economy."
Connected students and staff are encouraged to interact in ways that are safe, legal, and responsible.
This Responsible Use Agreement (RUA) supports our vision of technology use and upholds in our users a strong sense of digital citizenship. The school district will educate all students about appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites, in chat rooms, and cyberbullying awareness and response. This policy applies to all East Central Independent School District (ECISD) computer networks and resources, and all devices connected to those networks.
- The purpose of an ECISD user account is to engage in connected learning and sharing opportunities via facilitated access to the ECISD network.
- ECISD user accounts are owned by the ECISD, subject to digital archival when feasible, as well as subject to the Open Records Act. All digital files associated with user accounts may be retrieved by ECISD staff at any time without prior notice and without the permission of any user. The ECISD reserves the right to monitor all accounts and any content stored in, created, received, or sent through the ECISD computer network in order to maintain system integrity as well as to ensure responsible use.
- Student's pictures, names, work, etc.--in alignment with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)--may be published online unless parents/guardians notify the campus principal in writing that they do not wish for student information to be shared. When identifying a student in a picture or video, first name and last initial only will be used at all campuses except the middle school and high school. Groups of student names, as for awards, teams, etc. may be published without any identifying picture of the individuals.
NOTE: Parents/Guardians/Guests who choose to photograph or video record ECISD school related events/activities and subsequently distribute or otherwise publish the photographs or video recording through any means (including but not limited to - Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube) assume any and all potential risk in the event of any complaint from other students who may appear in the photographs or video recording and whose families do not wish for their student’s image to be distributed or otherwise published.
- The ECISD employs GoogleApps for Education and Google Classroom to provide district-wide email for students and staff and provide a virtual classroom environment. These services are deemed necessary for District functions. A parent/guardian signature on the acknowledgement form in the Student Handbook serves as record that consent is given for the parent/guardian’s child to use these services under school district supervision. Other services may be used provided sufficient notice is provided to parents and the campus administrator.
- A Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) compliant, content filtering solution is in place in order to prevent access to certain sites that may contain inappropriate material, including pornography, weapons, illegal drugs, gambling, and any other topics deemed to be of non-educational value by the ECISD. ECISD cannot guarantee that all inappropriate content will be blocked by the filter. Staff and students are responsible to immediately report any access of inappropriate materials so that proper steps can be taken to prevent future access. The ECISD is not responsible for the content accessed by users who connect via their own mobile service (cellphones, air-cards, etc.).
- Technology is to be utilized in conformity with the laws of the United States and the State of Texas. Violations include, but are not limited to, the following: a) criminal acts such as cyberstalking, child pornography, email harassment, vandalism/hacking networks, cyberbullying; b) libel laws which involve defaming people through published materials; c) copyright violations; d) student privacy protection (COPPA); and e) safeguarding internet safety (CIPA).
Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT)
Many district locations offer the option of Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT). Please check with your Campus Technology Coordinator (CTC) as to whether BYOT is available.
Guidelines for staff and student usage are provided below:
- Personal Devices: Staff may use a personal device in place of (or along with) their district assigned devices only with appropriate anti-virus/anti-malware software. When staff leaves district, removal of any licensed ECISD software from their device(s) is required.
- Technology staff do not repair personal devices or provide install or setup services for non-district assigned applications.
- Accessories: ECISD may provide district-owned accessories that can be installed on a personal device. These district-owned accessories will be maintained according to the currently established procedures in the ECISD, and must be surrendered/returned prior to staff member's last day.
- Access: Staff will have access to ec.guest wireless (CIPA-filtered, internet access only) as appropriate.
- Broken Personal Devices: Staff devices that are damaged or stolen while on ECISD property are the responsibility of the owner, and the ECISD cannot be held liable for the replacement or repair of a non-district-owned device.
- Data Charges: Staff understand that any data and/or SMS/MMS (texting) charges will not be reimbursed by the ECISD.
- Account Management: Staff are to avoid adding or using personal user accounts (e.g. Apple ID, GooglePlay store ID) on district-owned mobile devices (e.g. iPad, Android). Exceptions are allowed only for specific administrative functions.
- Personal Devices: Students may use a personal device in class for instructional use only with teacher permission.
- Technology staff do not repair personal devices or provide install or setup services.
- Access: Students will only have access to the ec.guest network (CIPA-filtered, internet access only) that the ECISD has provided.
- Broken Personal Devices: Student devices that are damaged or stolen while on ECISD property are the responsibility of the owner, and the ECISD cannot be held liable for the replacement or repair of a non-district-owned device.
- Data Charges: Students (and parents) should understand that any data and/or SMS/MMS (texting) charges will not be reimbursed by the ECISD.
- Account Management: Students are to avoid adding or using personal user accounts (e.g. Apple ID, GooglePlay store ID) on district-owned mobile devices (e.g. iPad, Android). Exceptions are allowed only for specific administrative functions.
District Account Management
In accordance with the District mission, goals and our vision for technology, staff and students will require accounts in third party systems (e.g. Google Apps for Education, Google Classroom) managed by the ECISD. These ECISD accounts will be used at school for school related projects but may also be accessed outside of school and are essential to achieving teaching, learning and leading goals and objectives. The use of these accounts will help our students to master effective and proper online communications as required in the PreK-12 Technology Applications Standards.
Electronic Media Guidelines for Communication with Students
Electronic media includes all forms of social media, such as text messaging, instant messaging, electronic mail, blogs, electronic forums, chat rooms, video-sharing sites, editorial comments posted on the Internet, and social networking sites. Electronic media also includes all forms of telecommunication, such as landlines, cell phones, and Web-based applications.
In accordance with administrative regulations, a certified or licensed employee, or any other employee designated in writing by the Superintendent or a campus principal, may use electronic media to communicate with currently enrolled students about matters within the scope of the employee’s professional responsibilities. All other employees are prohibited from using electronic media to communicate directly with students who are currently enrolled in the District. See policy at DH(local).
Campus and/or classroom web pages are the preferred means of student communication. If electronic media/communication tools (e.g. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) are available, it is recommended that they be used responsibly and safely.
Guidelines for Use of Electronic Media
Below are guidelines for the use of electronic media tools that are not within the scope of school district services - see policy at DH(local):
Non-District Google, Facebook, Instagram, Periscope, Snapchat
ECISD students and employees should not "friend" each other or communicate on these sites except in professional, academic manner that is public and viewable by all.
Postings should be brief and professional.
Students should follow the educator's posts.
Educators should not follow students posts
(Requires campus administrator approval)
Changes in times, dates, bus schedules, programs, activities, etc.
Messages should be brief and professional.
Pertinent information only. Parents should be informed. This should not be a requirement as some students may not have access to texting or may be charged per text message.
As role models for the district’s students, employees are responsible for their public conduct even when they are not acting as district employees. Employees will be held to the same professional standards in their public use of electronic media as they are for any other public conduct.
Web Publishing Policy
Students publishing on a district or school website will do so under the direct supervision of a classroom teacher or school administrator. Supervising teachers and administrators will be held responsible for ensuring students are aware of all web publishing policies that are located in the district employee handbook. Supervising teachers and administrators are responsible for all material students post to a district or school sponsored website.
Disclaimer of Liability
East Central ISD shall not be liable for the user’s inappropriate use of the District’s technology resources or violations of copyright restrictions, users’ mistakes or negligence, or cost incurred by users. ECISD shall not be responsible for ensuring accuracy or usability of any information found on the Internet.
Data contained in the ECISD technology resource systems remain the property of East Central Independent School District. Electronic mail transmissions and other use of ECISD technology resource systems including Internet access and data storage shall not be considered confidential and may be monitored by authorized individuals at any time to ensure appropriate use for educational purposes.
The following actions are not permitted and could result in the consequences outlined per the Handbook and District policy:
- Users may not attempt to disable or bypass the ECISD content filter, including the use of wireless internet cards or personal hotspots.
- Users may not illegally access or manipulate the information of a private database/system such as gradebooks and other student information systems.
- Users may not install unauthorized network access points, or other connections that may not effectively integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Users may not launch denial of service attacks using personal or district technology (e.g. DOS, DDOS), hack, or engage in behavior that attacks the network or internet access.
- Users may not send, save, view, forward, or create harassing or offensive content/messages. Offensive material includes, but is not limited to, pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit material, sexual comments, jokes or images that would violate school policies. The school policies against harassment and discrimination apply to the use of technology.
- Users may not use their accounts for non-school related activities including but not limited to:
- Using the Internet for financial gain, personal advertising, promotion, non-government related fundraising, or public relations
- Political activity: lobbying for personal political purposes, or activities such as solicitation for religious purposes
- Use their District email or district-provided/managed services for personal gain, to engage in actions deemed inappropriate* to others subject to District policy.
*In addition to behavior described above, campus administrators and immediate supervisors will deem what is considered to be inappropriate use of the ECISD computer network. They may request the suspension of an account or network access at any time. Student discipline will be referred to campus administration, while staff behavior will be referred to the staff member’s supervisor or the ECISD Personnel Department.
Board Policies/Regulations: CQ & DH(local)
In brief, do no harm to others through your access and use of district technology; "district technology" includes access to the network, the internet, all devices connected to it, including district-owned as well as BYOT/BYOD technologies.
Note: This document takes effect on the first day of school. All users will be expected to adhere to the provisions outlined within it.