Black River Independent School Committee

Date/Time: 03/07/2019 @ 6:30pm

Location: Black River High School Middle School Library

Agenda

  1. Call to Order-Called to order by John @ 6:48pm
  1. Roll Call-Joann Wilson, Uli Donohue, Melissa Perrino, John Bannon, Suzy Buckley, Marissa Selleck; Karen Surma @ 7:33pm
  2. Approval of Agenda: Additions & Deletions-SB made motion to pass, MP 2nd; Agenda passed

II. Approval of Minutes

             A. 02/21/2019-Reviewed aloud by MS; Motion by SB, 2nd by JW; Passed

             B. 02/28/2019-Motion by JB, 2nd by MP; Passed

III. Business

            A. Updates

                1. Fundraiser Contact via MP: Reached out, waiting for response; UD can

                follow up as well.  MP will also look into designing a (giant) sign.

                Possible sub-committee: KG, Pat Pullinen, Jerry Tucker, Suzanne Garvey,

                & Karen Surma;

                MS: Email is drafted, add topic of creating list to items for subj-committee

                to attend to (group separate emails for sub-committee only)

                MP: Especially after discussion with Pat Pullinen, start planning a sub-

                committee for athletics (reach out to Pat P, Joe Gurdak, Howie Paul);

                JB: Suggestion to request adding above-mentioned as associates, UD can

                add members to website, maybe create separate links so as not to over-

                design main page of BRA website.

                        *To follow up on to form sub-committee

                2. Interviews/Town Meeting-OVTV interview is now available; was just a

                short update/discussion between MP, MS, SB, & JB.

                Town Meeting-Attended by MP, JB, & MS; presented update at the end;

                well-received.

                JB: Building update-Fire Marshall did review building, his finding is that as

                long as the configuration of the building is not changed/altered upgrades

                are not required; also, Mike Tuomisto (BRHS Maintenance) says the

                building structurally is in good shape (roof, foundation, etc); monetary

                figures to be drafted/shared.

                3. Event Planning via MP/MS-Suggestions from Homestyle Hostel is

                to hold a similar but bigger event than what we’ve discussed in the warmer

                season @ Plymouth State Park, right on the water (huge draw!)

                        *Follow Up with filling in event calendar: Rotary, BRHSMS School

                        Fair, Floodbrook Fair, etc.

              B. Discussions

                1. Facebook Donation Link Option: Several experts have suggested to

                utilize this resource; upon further research it is also a free app for

                non-profits & fairly easy to set up; also, look into using the Boosts app

                        *Follow up w/ potential marketing advisor as an option

                2. 501(c)3 Application Upgrade-UD has been plugging away at it; lots of

                details to clarify.

                        *Follow up w/ lawyer’s advice

                3. BRA Mission/Vision Review-JW will draft talking points; print out

                Mission/Vision to compare with side by side w/ talking points for next

                week’s meeting.

IV. Public Comment-Karen Surma can assist with spreadsheet lists

V. Executive Session: Review Board Structure-Postponed

VI. Suggested Items for Next Meeting

Rotary Luncheon

Mt. Holly Outreach

Calendar of Events

Lawyer Update

Marketing Update

VII. Adjournment-Adjourned by JB @ 8:01pm