Pre-solo Written Exam – DA20
Answer the following questions in the space provided, using the FARs, AIM, Chart Supplement, and POH. If you reference one of these sources for an answer, be sure to note it for your future reference.
- What type of engine does the Da-20 have?
- What is the engine horsepower?
- How many gallons of useful fuel does the Da-20 hold?
- What type of oil should be used in this engine?
- Please show the speed on the Da-20 (in Knots) for each item below, and define in your own words the significance of each speed and how it is used:
- What is the maximum demonstrated crosswind components for the DA-20?
Crosswind: _______ Kts
- What is the service ceiling of the DA-20?
- What is the takeoff distance to clear a 50 foot obstacle on a standard day?
- What is the landing distance over a 50 foot obstacle on a standard day?
- What is the maximum RPM setting? ____________________________
- Please describe the loss of engine procedures for the Da-20.
- What is the maximum gross weight of the Da-20?
- What is the empty weight of the Da-20?
- What is the useful load of the Da-20?
- With full fuel, how much weight can you carry in Da-20?
- What preflight actions are required before a flight not in the vicinity of an airport? Before any flight?
- List the minimum equipment and instruments that must be working properly in your aircraft for flight.
- How many hours are required between consuming alcohol and flying? ______________ What is the maximum blood alcohol content to legally operate an aircraft?
- What altitude should you fly when operating in level cruising flight to the East at more than 3,000 feet agl?
- How many fuel sumps does the Da-20 have? _________ Why is it necessary to drain fuel from the fuel sumps?
When should this be done?
- What type and grade of fuel is used the Da-20?
- How do you check the oil level in the Da-20?
- Will the engine run with the master switch turned off?
Why or why not?
- What is the maximum allowable flap setting for takeoff in the Da-20?
- During a magneto check, what is the maximum RPM drop?
How much difference is acceptable between the left and right mags?
- Draw a diagram of the runways at your airport. Label each runway.
- Draw a runway and a “normal” traffic pattern. Label each leg.
- Which turn direction is standard for a traffic pattern? _______________________ What is traffic pattern altitude at your airport?
- How do you enter and exit the traffic pattern at an uncontrolled airport?
- List the following frequencies at your airport:
- Describe, “Wake turbulence”. In which type of aircraft and in which configuration is this most prominent? What is proper procedure to avoid wake turbulence?
- When are you required to wear a safety belt? Shoulder harness?
- What must a pilot do before entering each of these airspace classes?
- What is the minimum fuel requirement for VFR day conditions?
- If the altimeter setting is not available at an airport, what setting should you use before departing on a local flight?
- What must you do before performing flight maneuvers?
- When practicing Steep Turns, Stalls, and Slow Flight, the entry altitude must allow a recovery to be completed no lower than ____________ feet AGL.
- When two aircraft of the same category are converging head-on, which way do you turn to avoid the other aircraft?
- Give three situations that would necessitate a go-around.
List the procedure for a go-around:
- What documents and endorsements are you required having in your possession to legally operate the airplane as a student pilot?
- Do you need your logbook in your possession when you fly solo?
- What endorsements do you need to have in order to fly solo?
In the pattern:
On a cross country flight:
- What are limitations your instructor may place on your solo endorsements?
- What are the limitations of a student pilot, as stated in Part 61.89 of the Federal Aviation Regulations?
Instructor Statement: Logbook endorsed: ❑
I have reviewed this pre-solo written exam with the student and have determined that the answers, as corrected by the student, are complete and correct.
Instructor Signature: Date:
Student Signature: Date:
US Sport Aircraft Page of Pre-Solo Written Exam