venture: IN RESPONSE
An Artistic Performance Series presented by
A Call to Artists
[ Dare to do something audacious in response to the current cultural, social and political climate]
Forty106 Dance Project recognizes and appreciates that dance is a puzzle piece uniquely shaped to fit in the larger, delicately intricate puzzle of the arts. Forty106 Dance Project is committed to continuous artistic development through dance education, collaboration, and exploration of “self” through dance and art. venture is a project series presented by Forty106 Dance Project that allows artists of all genres to workshop, create, collaborate, and present work based on the theme of the series presented.
Forty106 Dance Project is committed to continuous artistic development through dance education, collaboration, and exploration of “self” through dance and art. Dance is a key puzzle piece in the arts, uniquely designed to delicately complement diverse art mediums. venture is a project series that engages artists of all genres to workshop, create, collaborate, and present work based on the theme of the series presented. venture: IN RESPONSE is the first series – artists are asked to submit work created “in response” to the current cultural and political climate. Work will elicit personal reflections learned during this pandemic season.
ELIGIBILITY | ARTIST | ARTWORK REQUIREMENTS
Performing and Visual artists nationwide are called to submit work that aligns with the venture: IN RESPONSE project theme.
Artistic mediums can include, but are not limited to:
- Short stories
- Mixed Media
- Artist collaboration is highly encouraged
- Performance length pieces should be no longer than 7 minutes in length
- Final artwork must be submitted no later than the Monday, September 28, 2020 at 7:00pm
- Final artwork ready to set up and be displayed, Friday, October 2, 2020
- If additional equipment is needed for display or performance, please indicate this upon submission.
HOW TO APPLY
Application Fee: $10 PAY HERE
Applicants are asked to complete the Venture Series Interest Form. This form will include a brief statement of interest, an artistic statement/proposal of work, and a list of any potential props or equipment needed.
SELECTION COMMITTEE | SELECTION PROCESS
- The selection committee consists of fellow artists (who have not submitted work for venture: IN RESPONSE), donors, community members and Forty106 Dance Project partners at Steamboat Dance + Fitness.
- The selection committee will review all submissions.
- The selection criteria will be based on written submission form and relevancy to the theme of the project series.
- Submission acceptance:
- Up to will three performance pieces (length and medium dependent)
- Up to 7 visual pieces (size dependent).
- All artwork relevant to the theme of this series, artwork in response to the current cultural, social and political climate will be considered. Emphasis on personal growth is recommended.
- Once final artwork submissions are selected, artists will be able to schedule rehearsals or a guided tour of the studio.
- Visual artists are required to send weekly sample works to guarantee completion.
- Performing artists are required to send weekly rehearsal footage of progress to guarantee completion.
- Performing artists will be allotted 4 hours of studio time to rehearse. (Additional time over the initial 4 hours will incur a cost to the artist: Steamboat Dance + Fitness studio rental rate is $30/hour.)
COMMISSION ON SALES (Visual Artwork sold through/at event)
80% of sales go to the artist
20% of sales goes to Forty106 Dance Project
- Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 7:00pm - Deadline to submit interest form
- Friday, August 28, 2020 - Artists notified of selection by email
- Monday, August 31, 2020-Friday, September 4, 2020 - Rehearsals/in-studio guided tours
- Fridays, September 4, 11, 18, & 25, Oct 2, 9, 16 at 5:00pm - Weekly progress submissions due
- Monday, October 19, 2020 at 7:00pm - FINAL Artwork SUBMITTED for installation
- Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - FINAL DRESS REHEARSAL of performance pieces
- Thursday & Friday AM - SET UP/INSTALLATION
- Friday OR Sunday October 23 or 25, 2020 at 6:00pm- EXHIBITION DAYS - venture:IN RESPONSE
If you have questions or require additional information about this project, please contact Forty106 Dance Project Founder and Artistic Director, Meg Southcott, email@example.com, 970.638.3841