To Make 2 Loaves
2 pkgs active dry yeast (NOT quick rise)
1 cup sugar
2 cups warm water
½ cup vegetable oil
7 cups flour
3 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 Egg yolk brushed on at end
For two loaves (for 1 reduce amount to list above)
1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Make a dry well of flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Add oil and eggs to the bowl with the yeast and warm water
4. Add the oil/egg/yeast mixture to the dry well.
5. Knead well for ~5 minutes. (If the dough is too stringy add water- the dough should be more sticky then dry)
6. Put in greased bowl and let double in size (1 hour).
7. Punch down and knead well again. Let rest 5 minutes.
8. Shape challahs (this recipe yields 2 or more challahs if you divide the dough). Put in lightly greased pans and let rise again (1 hour).
9. Mix 1 egg yolk with a little water and brush top of challahs.
Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes. If you can—bake on parchment paper.
Remove from pan. Let Cool before eating.