Biodiversity Heritage Library
STRATEGIC PLAN: 2018-2020
Inspiring discovery through free access to biodiversity knowledge.
Mission (from Bylaws, Appendix I)
The Biodiversity Heritage Library improves research methodology by collaboratively making biodiversity literature openly available to the world as part of a global biodiversity community.
BHL must be trustworthy, reliable and accountable to its users, sponsors, members and partners. We operate with transparency and adhere to the highest ethical standards to ensure this trust and to ensure access to BHL digital content now and into the future.
The BHL serves the world of biodiversity researchers and those interested in biodiversity through aggregation and stewardship of the digital files and through improving discoverability and user interfaces and increasing opportunities for research and interpretation.
By engaging with user communities across the globe the BHL will support discovery
and innovative uses of open access biodiversity information to facilitate dialogue about scientific issues within social and cultural contexts.
Working across institutional and political boundaries, the BHL engages with partners across the globe in building content, repatriating literature, supporting partners, innovative approaches to long- term capacity building and sustainability of this global resource, harmonising content and rights issues.
The BHL stimulates curiosity about nature and culture, inspiring people to learn, explore, and better understand their role and impact in this world.
The BHL aspires to leadership in the realms of digital libraries, collaboration, and open access for biodiversity literature.
Goal 1: Relevant Content
Build and maintain the BHL as the largest reliable, reputable and responsive repository of biodiversity literature and other original materials
Develop a collection of relevant publications by ...
- Working with Partners to plan and select content from their collections to ensure digitization is optimally targeted;
- Increasing the amount and quality of article level access in BHL;
- Increasing permissions agreements with licensors to provide access to in-copyright materials;
- Regularly curating available resources to improve access and discovery.
Add original material and archival sources by ...
- Expanding access to archival material and field notes through the BHL;
- Exploring new material types (artwork, photographs, etc.) to add to BHL.
Explore and understand the scope of biodiversity literature by …
- Ensuring integration of BHL content within the global biodiversity community’s research ecosystem;
- Analyzing collection strengths, weaknesses, and gaps in the BHL corpus;
- Determining the percentage of public domain biodiversity relevant publications digitized to date.
Goal 2: Tools and Services
Develop services and tools which facilitate discovery and improve research efficiency of BHL content
Plan for BHL’s responsive design (i.e., compatibility for mobile devices) for improved global awareness and accessibility
Ensure continued clear priorities and leadership for technical infrastructure and direction by...
- Developing a clear technical plan for improving BHL user experience;
- Encouraging re-use of BHL content by ensuring the biodiversity community is aware of the availability and reusability;
- Enriching the BHL experience through full-text searching capabilities and incorporation transcriptions of non-print content.
Identify resources needed to achieve the technical plan.
Goal 3: User Engagement
Increase global awareness about the BHL and biodiversity issues through outreach, learning and education, branding, and collaboration with existing and new user communities
Increase Awareness of the BHL Program, Services, Partners and Impact by...
- Engaging with audiences on social media;
- Sharing news and updates via emails, annual reports, press releases, and blog series;
- Producing content that highlights BHL’s impact on research.
Grow the global BHL audience by...
- Collaborating with Partners around the world to promote BHL;
- Managing a library of outreach materials (digital and physical) for use by worldwide partners;
- Attending and presenting about BHL at conferences and events around the world.
Increase engagements with and usage of BHL content by...
- Implementing content marketing strategies (i.e., campaigns, exhibitions) that encourage user engagement with collections and partners;
- Implementing tools and services on the website that allow users to easily share and engage with collections;
- Providing citizen science opportunities that allow audiences to enhance collections.
Goal 4: Membership and Partnerships
Grow BHL consortia membership and partnerships while fostering cross-institutional collaboration that continues to serve as a model for digital library development
Increase consortia institutional membership of BHL by ...
- Defining and documenting compelling reasons to join BHL at the Member level and advocating benefits of participation to potential new partners;
- Exploring feasibility of expanded partnership structure to be more inclusive for a range of institutions (e.g., in terms of size and budget) while maintaining financial sustainability and operational capacity;
- Increasing and reinvigorating partnerships across the world for more comprehensive coverage and participation in all corners of the globe.
Grow relations with other biodiversity projects by ...
- Establishing and maintaining formal working relationships with other biodiversity organizations.
Goal 5: Mission Enabling
Ensure our success through increased financial strength, effective administrative support, and organizational excellence
Establish the financial sustainability and security of the BHL by …
- Develop and maintain risk management and sustainability plans for BHL’s financial and corresponding technical infrastructure;
- Identifying and recruiting prospective donors for endowment creation;
- Building and engaging community of recurring individual donors (e.g., raise $10,000 annually in individual donations through appeals);
- Increasing participation locally at partner institutions as well as collaboratively across the consortium (i.e., increasing in-kind contributions);
- Identify significant grants and develop relevant proposals to support strategic goals and initiatives in meaningful ways;
- Collaborating with biodiversity and other organizations in grant opportunities.
Maintain effective administrative support and organizational excellence by ...
- Ensuring communication strategies with our users are open and responsive;
- Adhering to transparency in the development of policies, procedures, workflow, governance, partnerships, and finances;
- Fostering improved stewardship of BHL Members through Executive Committee and Membership Committee activities.
Maintain role of center for excellence in digital libraries by…
- Sharing best practices at appropriate conferences to explain what BHL is and does, how it operates, and the impact it has made;
- Serving as a resource for expertise in digital libraries;
- Continuing as a trusted contributor to other national and international aggregators;
- Pursuing continuous improvement of BHL’s digital library services through commitment to user driven development and intentional innovation.