Many students’ lives today are filled with media that gives them mobile access to information and resources 24/7. Outside school, students are free to pursue their interest in their own way and at their own pace. The opportunities are limitless, borderless, and instantaneous. In an effort to put students at the center and empower them to take control of their own learning the Hudson City Schools will allow students to use personal technology devices. Students wishing to participate must follow the responsibilities stated in the Responsible Use Policy as well as the following guidelines.
For the purpose of this program, the word “device” means a privately owned wireless and/or portable electronic piece of equipment that includes laptops, netbooks, tablets/slates, iPods, cell and smart phones. No gaming devices are allowed (to include: Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable PSP, etc.)
Any student who wishes to use a personally owned electronic device within the Hudson City Schools must:
- Read and sign with parent/guardian
- Submit signed agreement to the main office.
- The student takes full responsibility for his or her device and keeps it with himself or herself at all times or locked securely in their locker. The school is not responsible for the security of the device.
- The student is responsible for the proper care of his or her personal device, including any costs of repair, replacement or any modifications needed to use the device at school.
- The school reserves the right to inspect a student’s personal device if there is reason to believe that the student has violated any School Board policies, administrative procedures, school rules or has engaged in other misconduct while using their personal device.
- Violations of any Hudson School Board policies, administrative procedures or school rules involving a student’s personally owned device may result in the loss of use of the device in school and/or disciplinary action.
- The student must comply with a staff request to shutdown the device or put the screen to sleep.
- The student will not be allowed to charge their device while at school.
- The student may not use the device to record, transmit or post photos or video of a person or persons on campus. Nor can any images or video recorded at school be transmitted or posted at any time without the express permission of a teacher.
- During school hours the student should only use their device to access classroom related activities. Accessing classroom related activities on a mobile device looks like:
- The device is used only for academic purposes
- The device is on the desk and visible to everyone in the classroom
- The device is only used when the teacher prompts students
- When accessing audio content, earbuds are used
- The device is NOT under the desk or hidden while in use
- The student will use the “Student BYOD” wireless network while in school. Use of cellular (currently 3G & 4G) wireless connections is not allowed.
As a student I understand and will abide by the above policy and guidelines. I further understand that any violation of the above may result in the loss of my network and/or device privileges as well as other disciplinary action.