Introduction to Question One & its terms of service
Question One hosted its first quiz in 2003 and has since grown in popularity to around 100 venues across London and beyond. We offer carefully researched quizzes presented by the 'best fit' people suited to the personality of each venue and its customers.
Our popular format consists of two rounds of 20 general knowledge questions in each. This provides the foundation to the unique entertainment provided by each Quiz Host and is tailored to each venue. Amongst the questions is a series of picture puzzles which we source and print out as part of our service. Quizzes incorporate a short comfort break in between each round to encourage customers to top up their refreshments while the Quiz Host gathers half-time scores.
Our Quiz Hosts
We pride ourselves in working with a diverse pool of talented individuals who help create an identity and following for each venue’s quiz. We aim to match the best-fit personalities to individual venues. To help with business continuity, we also provide equally talented cover on those occasions when the regular Quiz Host might not be available. We invite regular feedback from venues so that we get a better understanding of which Quiz Hosts work best at each venue. This strengthens the rapport with customers.
We are keen to work closely with venues to provide marketing support, whether it's through providing posters and artwork or to help publicise your quiz with tweets and posts. Your quiz will be searchable on our Quiz Finder (questionone.com/london/events) which is popular amongst keen quiz fanatics, eager to find a venue close to where they live or work. We offer additional free services to enhance your Twitter feed directly, and are happy to discuss these. Experience shows that our most successful quizzes are where we work in partnership to ensure all marketing requirements are fulfilled.
We have developed a special scaled fee that adjusts according to attendance, which helps ensure that what is paid by customers gets invested back into the quiz experience. Your venue’s flat-rate fee is £60 plus £1 for every person (plus VAT) who takes part in the quiz. This means you will pay less during those quieter periods that may be caused by changes in the weather, TV or sports schedules. The benefit is that you only pay more as the number of people taking part increases, reflecting the benefit to the pub of more trade attracted to the bar. This also acts as an incentive to Question One and our Quiz Hosts to work closely with your venue to attract more customers to the event. Tailored rates apply for special events such as wedding receptions, private or corporate functions.
Unlike some other quiz companies, you keep the quiz entry fees. For example, if you have 35 players, at £60 + £1 per player, you would pay £95 + VAT. If you charge £2 per player, you would have £70 of entry fees to put towards prizes and the quiz. Excluding the cost of prizes, the net cost of your quiz would be £25.
We are always happy to help with any queries that you might have!
Question One Ltd. (UK)
+44 (0)20 3318 7666
Please see the next page for our terms & conditions of service
The small print.. (Terms & Conditions)
- At the end of the quiz, the Quiz Host reports player numbers electronically to Question One (Q1) for invoicing. The Quiz Host also obtains sign-off from your venue staff for attendance figures and passes all entry fees to your staff. We recommend that your venue keeps its own log of attendance numbers for accounting purposes.
- Question One Quiz Hosts do not take entry fees, prizes or quiz invoice payments on behalf of Question One. Entry fees are collected on behalf of the venue.
- Entry fees and prize offerings are determined by your venue. We can offer recommendations and advice.
- A £35 cancellation fee applies to quizzes cancelled within 24 hours of the start time. Cancellations must be confirmed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the case of a 'special event' where the quiz falls on a public holiday with a pre-determined fee, 100% of that fee will be payable for cancellations within 24 hours and 50% of the fee payable for cancellations within 72 hours.
- Our fees cover the provision of all quizzing materials: pens and our popular black & white printed format. If you wish to advertise or discuss other special features with your quiz, please contact us to discuss.
- We will exercise our statutory right to claim interest (at 8% over the Bank of England base rate) and compensation for debt recovery costs under the Late Payment legislation if we are not paid according to our agreed credit terms.
- From 2016, new customers are required to sign up for payments using GoCardless/BACS direct debit, unless your venue is part of a company where we have existing payment arrangements in place.
- In the event that the customer falls behind with payment in excess of the agreed terms then Question One reserve the right to cancel the quiz with 24 hours notice which may be rescinded if a payment plan can be agreed.
- By agreeing to quiz with Q1 you agree to a minimum of 4 contiguous weeks quizzing to establish the quiz. Please note it may take up to 8 weeks to establish a following.
- Both parties agree that once a successful quiz (more than 20 participants on average) has been established by Question One after the first 8 weeks of service (after starting a new quiz or taking over from an existing event), that this forms a contract of supply between Question One and the venue, whereby the venue cannot replace Question One as quiz hosts without 6 weeks notice of termination. In the case of immediate termination, the venue agrees to pay for 6 weeks of quizzing at the average cost of the previous quiz nights since commencement.
- If a contract of supply has been established, but the average number of participants has fallen to below 20 over a period of 6 months, the venue may cancel with at least 24 hours notice.
- We may loan you audio equipment if requested. Your venue is responsible for installation, maintenance, repair or replacement of component parts including batteries for the equipment. Your venue is responsible for returning this equipment in the condition it was loaned in. Alternatively, equipment may be purchased. Please contact us for more information. Question One accepts no responsibility for your venue’s audio system.
- In case of a termination of a contract of supply, the equipment must be returned at the venue’s expense, or purchased at the current retail value, which will be added to the final invoice.
- Venues are responsible for the safe storage of any jackpot money, and should be treated with the same security as any other cash handling. Quiz Hosts are not to take the money with them after the event, and must have the total amount signed off each night. Any discrepancy or missing jackpot balance must be made up by the venue and Q1 take no responsibility for missing funds.
- Question One recruits, trains and supports Question One Quiz Hosts, who operate under an exclusive contract with Question One Limited. Inducing a Quiz Host to breach their contract with Q1 is tortious, and may render parties liable for damages.
- In the case where player numbers exceed that which the Quiz Host can reasonably be heard naturally without shouting or having to repeat questions to different sections of the space, the venue agrees to use a PA or wireless microphone to assist the presentation and prevent damage to the voice of the Quiz Host.
- Entry fees are optional and determined by the venue, who may choose to do the following:
- Pool entry fees in whole, or in part to finance prizes.
- Book entry fees as income.
- Account for the fees in some other way.
- Question One will work with you to facilitate how you want to handle entry fees and document the procedure. Entry fees are collected by the Quiz Host prior to the quiz and handed to staff who confirm and sign-off player numbers and monies collected at the end of the quiz.
Revision Date - 20/11/17
Question One Ltd. (UK) Reg co no. 05591905 84 Parkhill Road, London, NW3 2YT