Future Focussed Learning
Our children are entering a world that is looking for abilities far different from the traditional. We want them to be able to collect, synthesise and analyse information and then work collaboratively with others to apply that knowledge. They need to learn how to learn and to respond to the constantly changing technologies and social and global changes in the world.
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
The learning needs of students in the 21st century are different to those of previous generations. The NZ Curriculum reflects this need with a strong focus on promoting digitally capable, global citizens. Technology is moving at a fast pace and many of the careers we are preparing our students for, do not yet exist. Skill-sets no longer revolve around merely learning facts, as this information is now at our fingertips. E-learning and BYOD provides a structure for delivering a responsive curriculum and this learning at primary will help foster a smoother transition to intermediate.
Bring Your Own Device allows students to have one-to-one time on a device that is set up to their specifications for their learning. This has many benefits, including:
• enabling students to take increasing responsibility for their own learning
• empowering students to learn at a pace and place as well as a way which suits them
• teaches students how to discern what tool will best help with their learning
• encouraging and enabling teachers to more easily implement personalised learning
• prepares students for a future where they are likely to be working in an environment with increasing amounts of technology and IT/collaborative/cloud based tools.
How does Google Suite for Education (GAFE) work?
The Google Apps for Education suite offers apps for email, calendar, blogs, documents, presentations and website creation as well as Google Drive, which is a way of organising all of the work done on these apps. The use of these apps are free and can be used in ‘the cloud’ - a collaborative environment where others can access and work on documents together in real time. GAFE allows students to access their work from school, home, the local library - anywhere with an internet connection.
What is Hapara Teacher Dashboard?
Hapara Teacher Dashboard is an interface which brings together the tools of GAFE in an overview style so that teachers can access, set tasks, mark and comment on work completed in the GAFE suite. It gives teachers the ability to oversee an entire class of work, like they would a class set of exercise books. It also allows teachers and senior school staff the ability to oversee all the activity of any student account. This gives the ability to do a range of things, including, but not limited to: changing passwords if students forget them or suspending an account if the Student Responsibility Agreement is breached.
Why a Chromebook?
• Chromebooks work seamlessly in the Google Environment
• Cloud-based storage
• Automatically complete software updates without disruption
• Less on-device distractions