AkASL Meeting Notes: October 2018
Date & Time: Tuesday, October 9, 4:15-5:15 pm
Link to Google Hangout: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/akla.org/hwkuy90zbg
Meeting Roles: Facilitator: President | Time-Keeper & Interrupter: President-Elect | Note-Taker: Secretary
Meeting Called to Order:
Approval of Minutes: September Meeting Minutes. Approved.
Jill Gann, Deborah Rinio, Deborah Tice, Katie Conover, Pam Verfaillie, Karina Reyes, Janet Madsen, Julie Doepken, Caitlin Jacobson
Laura Guest, Karla Barkman, Michelle Carton, , Raandi Miller, Dona Helmer, Shelly Logsdon/Erika Drain
President’s Report / Jill
- Spent 6 hours at the AKLA meeting it was very good. I think that the new proposal is a good thing. We will talk about this in old business.
President-Elect’s Report / Janet
Past-President’s Report / Karla
- Attending a conference Oct. 9-11 so will not be attending meeting live. Sorry.
- Signed MOA with ASTE and sent to Amanda Adams, ASTE Past-President.
- Got an email and contract from Tiffany Whitehead. Can be found in this folder. If the contract looks okay to all of you, I can sign and send back to her.
- We need to put something on website advertising the workshop, plus get it set up in Wild Apricot so folks can register online.
- Link to information on State School Board Conference. I got an email from Laurie Miller that I forwarded to the board. It would be $600 for us to have a table.
- I sent an email but have not heard anything regarding Principal’s conference.
Membership Report / Katie
- 31 current members, 46 pending renewals (Oct. 1 is the renewal date, don’t worry)
- I’m working on some new logo ideas. Nothing is ready yet…
- I met with Sara Saxton yesterday (AkLA) and discussed getting more commercial/institutional members
- Stacey (AkLA) said there is a way to create a “view only” account in WildApricot. Who would like anytime access to membership information?
- Redesigned membership form is available online (thanks Raandi!)
Treasurer’s Report / Laura
Grant Report / Caitlin
- Proposal for 2018-19 grants is to the right in the comments box. (see spreadsheet for more info)
- Comments on changes to Google forms:
I sent out a few of the changes I’ve made so far on the forms and our website. A few of you had great suggestions! I will continue to edit and send out changes to you all.
- Outstanding question on requests for Midwinter:
We have 2 Midwinter requests so far. Both do not serve on committees. There is very limited programming at MW, and I wonder about the cost to attend vs the learning benefit. Many new members don’t realize there is no programming at MW, and sign up before the full schedule is released. Would it be more beneficial to encourage those members to attend AkLA? Is there any recommendation from the Board on this matter?
- Question on using PD grants to attend non-library conferences to promote AkASL: one of our eBoard members is asking about this. Has this been done before? Does it matter if the member is presenting? Example would be AK School Boards or AK Principals. How have these conferences been paid for in previous years? Is it only Anchorage members that attend, so the question hasn’t come up before?
- Region Reps - please share link to grants page on our website with your folks! We need help getting the word out! Here it is: AkASL Travel Grants
Battle of the Books Report / Ericka & Shelly
- 27 In-state registrations; 14 out of state registrations
- Practice questions will be released to those paid Oct 15th.
- Drawing for $325 book donation will take place on Oct. 15th for all paid districts
Puffin Report / Karina
- Working on t-shirt ordering information. I did a mock-up (since I don’t have an official design from anyone.). Check it out here but DO NOT EDIT, please!
- About $11 per shirt if ship to one address; adds $5 per order to ship to each individual
- If we pre-order, it’s a minimum of $250, but we don’t deal with money they work directly with the company
- Deborah suggested selling shirts through conference registration if we decide to do pre-order
- Katie said her husband had ideas for logos and will work on that
Webmaster’s Report / Raandi
- I have fixed all the items referenced at F2F. Emails are now linked to board members names to avoid phishing scams. Looking @ Pam’s idea of integrating AASL standards into web site.
- I have a meeting @ 4:30 tonight regarding a training on the UofM’s We-Explore platform which supports tech integration and inquiry. Attending with 2 science teachers with whom I collaborate often.
Award’s Report / Janet
- Janet will contract previous donors to make sure they are willing to donate again this year
- A new spreadsheet has been created and Janet will share it to awards committee members soon
Region Reps Reports
Region 1 (Northern) / Debi
- Have several pieces of feedback for “around the state”
- Started a revised feedback form, but think with the ‘compliance/non-compliance’ issue, it may be unnecessary
- Have a submission for the logo redesign. Speaking of - should membership have a little more time to get their ideas in for rebranding? How do we get them more involved?
- Found a good source for table top signage (link in ‘to do items’ - but think we should wait for rebranding
Region 2 (South Central) / Julie
Region 3 (Anchorage) / Michelle
Region 4 (Southeast) / Pam
Advocacy Report / Deborah
- Debi T. and I met to plan
- I have a meeting scheduled with Commissioner Johnson and Patience Frederiksen on October 10th to discuss the standards.
- NSLS & AK Standards Comparison Flier
- I will be presenting at the state board of education meeting December 6 or 7th.
- Template for Alaska School Board Resolution. Use comment feature on document or email email@example.com feedback by October 14.
- Tana Martin (Tanana Middle School Librarian) and I will be presenting at the Alaska Principal’s Conference October 21-22
Affiliate Assembly Representative’s Report / Dona
AKLA Proposal / Jill
- This is the latest after discussions at the AKLA meeting. It looks pretty good and two emails are not necessary One would join AKLA and then choose the AKASL Roundtable which would not have an additional cost.
- Discussion about whether to survey membership at this point. Debi T. feels like we still need input from membership. Deborah and Janet suggest informing membership and reinforcing the relationship and collaboration with AkLA. Pam suggests approaching it like a sales pitch and explaining why it’s important to be a member.
- MOTION: Katie makes a motion to accept AkLA’s proposal. Pam seconds. Pam suggests that we clearly indicated that we are a roundtable of AkLA on the website. Caitlin suggests doing a counter offer with a two-step process so that we do half of it one year and full amount the second year. Jill suggests moving forward due to the lengthy process. Katie points out that this is a great stride forward in improve the AkLA / AkASL relationship. Vote passes unanimously.
- There were discussions of having a line item in the AKLA budget for the Roundtable to cover our usual dues. They were willing to discuss a percentage too. But they liked the line item the best. We still need to ask for an amount. - Tabled to December meeting
$30,000 - $39,999
$40,000 - $49,999
$50,000 - $59,999
$60,000 - $69,999
$70,000 - $79,999
$80,000 and over
Battle of the Books Registrations / Laura
- AK Districts Registered 2012-13 to 2018-19
- I can add the Out of State if anyone thinks we need it. I think we were doing this to see who has dropped out so we can figure out why (no coaches, no money, new people unaware of program)
- Tabled to next month - share data with BoB and request they follow up with districts that have stopped registering
Action Items / Jill & Deborah
Paint pARTy / Deborah
- The Louise Miller Art Gallery in Juneau offers paint pARTies for $45 per person and will coordinate with us to offer one at the conference. I don’t have the conference date and time yet but it will be Friday or Saturday evening.
- Do we want to proceed?
- Do we want to offer food / bar?
- How much do we want to charge?
Advocacy Bootcamp / Deborah
Motion to use a consent agenda for all reports / Deborah
- Deborah made a motion to use a consent agenda for all reports. Debi T. seconds. Janet suggest that the agenda be made very clear. Pam says we don’t need to do them as a consent agenda because we aren’t voting to add them to the minutes. Suggestion to instead put reports at the end of the agenda. No vote taken.
Logo design suggestions will close December 1
Adjourned at 5:32pm
Next Meeting: November 13, 2018 4:15pm