ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-05-28 17:00 UTC (11:00 AM MDT and 19:00 CEST)

Where

Øystein Godøy is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Polar Semantics Working Group

Time: May 28, 2019 8:00 PM Oslo

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/6557451500

One tap mobile

+16465588656,,270406740# US (New York)

+17207072699,,270406740# US

Dial by your location

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 720 707 2699 US

Meeting ID: 270 406 740

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ayC9CfPOg

Agenda and minutes

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Ruth Duerr, Øystein Godøy, Allison Gaylord, Peter Pulsifer, William Manley, Pier Luigi Buttigieg, Shannon Christoffersen, Mark Schildhauer
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2019-05-09
  1. Approved.
  1. Review of action items
  1. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete
  1. Ruth has a presentation with a bit of a summary of the matrix 
  2. Bill also had a presentation at that IARPC meeting; direct link to PDF.
  3. Ruth actually is working on the matrix to move it forward
  1. Peter/Øystein to review results of b and add anything from their work
  1. Still pending.
  1. Peter to talk to Mark/Peter Fox re students to do this (modelling/visualisation the matrix from 4b) work
  1. Preliminary discussions, but nothing concrete yet.
  2. Still pending, but part of broader discussion and related to a proposal in preparation.
  1. Mark to contact US LTER Info Mgrs about the Polar terms questionnaire
  1. Email requesting input sent to all US LTER Info Mgrs on 2/19.
  2. direct discussion with Info Mgrs from Toolik (LTER ARC) and Beaufort Lagoon
  3. use of WorMS, ITIS for taxonomy, and USA LTER Control Vocab; nothing Arctic specific or strongly cryospheric
  1. Øystein will inform WMO and ask for contributions
  1. Done, but no feedback received so far. Probably due to ongoing time consuming preparations for congress for both WIS and WIGOS.
  1. Ruth/Øystein to look at the vocabulary repositories for ANDS
  1. Ruth has looked at this. Keeping this open.
  1. Øystein to create an outline of a “one pager” on semantic workshop suggestion for the Third Polar Data Forum based on notes from Peter. Ruth, Mark, Bill and Pier Luigi to contribute.
  1. Done
  1. Øystein to add information on WMO vocabularies to the questionnaire.
  1. Done
  1. Pier Luigi will add some text to the introduction to semantics for the TPDF to establish context for participants not into the technical details.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Peter to update the preliminary material describing the training session on semantics during TPDF to identify it as training and guided hackathon.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Øystein to push review of the TPDF semantic training and guided hackathon information material. Should be reviewed by slack announcements and full draft available early June for posting in TPDF website (can be amended later).
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Pier Luigi to prepare background information for PANGAEA on existing vocabularies and related activities covering the cryosphere that can be used in the context of MOSAIC data management. Øystein will contribute.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Third Polar Data Forum (TPDF)
  1. Discussion of one pager on semantics.
  1. Peter indicated that the first ½ day should be for everyone, remaining part for data center people and people that can help populate repositories. The last part ½ day will be more hands on for people that want to try contribute.
  2. Pier Luigi will add some text to the introduction to establish context for participants not into the technical details. This should describe the issues which are addressed.
  3. It was agreed that it would be good to include some examples that show the benefit, but it was not agreed on any specific examples. Those interested should contribute.
  4. The expected audience is beyond the technical community, need to create a broader context.
  5. The activity should be announced as training and guided hackathon. Peter to update the preliminary text that is out.
  6. The next revision should be ready by early June (first draft, can be amended later).
  1. Review by announcing revisions on Slack.
  1. Further discussions on TPDF
  1. Peter announced that US people who have requested funding will receive word on their requests in the next few days.
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire
  1. Results are available in https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  2. Ruth informed that she is still processing the data repositories matrix (about 80 repositories) from the Polar Data Planning Summit. This work is to be closed in a couple of weeks. This improve information on which semantic resources, if at all, that are being used by the data repositories.
  3. Pier Luigi suggested that if enough information is gathered a white paper (e.g. EOS) should be developed.
  4. It was agreed to use RDA to connect beyond this group..
  5. Further decisions on how to progress with the information should be made in September.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Øystein informed that there will be a WMO meeting in September (hosted by UKMO) on how to engage/utilise NetCDF/CF in the context of WMO activities and WMO governance structures.
  2. Pier Luigi informed that AWI is participating in MOSAIC and that PANGAEA will host the data. PANGAEA is interested in developing cryosphere vocabularies. They should reuse existing rather than starting new activities. Pier Luigi will establish a link to this group and Øystein will contribute with information on WMO GCW and YOPP.
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1700 UTC.
  2. Next meeting will be June 18, at 11 am MDT = 1700 UTC = 19:00 CEST.
  3. There will be no meeting in July.
  4. Meetings are starting up again as normal in August (tentatively 20th at 11 am MDT = 1700 UTC = 19:00 CEST)
  5. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.