Tairangi School Procedure Statement
HIV/AIDS & OTHER BLOOD BORNE VIRUSES
NAG 5 Health & Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- Staff will exercise precautions in the treatment of all children.
- When a child enrolls at school the Principal will seek any information regarding HIV/Aids infection or whether the child has any other Blood borne virus/illness.
- Any information gained in this manner will be treated as confidential and information will be kept to a “need to know” basis.
- In dealing with injury all children will be treated as if they have a blood borne virus.
- Before treating a child who is bleeding, make sure you cover any cuts and abrasions with a water proof dressing.
- Surgical gloves must be worn on all occasions when treating an individual.
- Dispose of used gloves, soiled dressings, sanitary towels tissues etc in the medical room rubbish bin which will be cleared regularly.
- Wash hands thoroughly when you have finished treatment.
- Enter details into the accident book.
- Contact Caretaker who will:
- Sterilise all surfaces contaminated by blood.
- Dispose of any dressings, gloves etc
- Thoroughly clean any other contaminated areas.
- The portable first aid kits will include disposable gloves, tissues, plastic bags for contaminated waste, a disinfectant.
File:HIVAIDS5.doc Procedure Statement – HIV/AIDS Blood Borne Diseases