Bemidji Curling Club Board Meeting
January 19th, 2021
Call to Order: 5:35 pm
Meeting Minutes Approved
1st: Conrad Kelly
2nd: Stu Noble
Meeting Agenda Additions:
- Stove Payment
- John Board Seat Replacement
- End of Year Meeting
- Club Improvement Meeting
- Lockers, Membership, Etc.
Meeting Agenda Approved
1st: Stu Noble
2nd: Dave Wilford
GM & Ice Report:
- The Clearwater Bonspiel last weekend was postponed and looking to reschedule
- Ice will be washed this weekend!
- Waiting on Eric J for membership info to help make sure all members have paid dues
- Board reviewed financial documents through end of December
- Checks were received for hosting State Events
- BHS was charged $3,000 and BSU was invoiced as well
- Other expenses included Hood Cleaning $700.00, Plant Switches $1878.30, Main Furnace $2850. These expenses should be covered by our Improvement Budget from the city.
- Lanny thinks the city should be approached to increase this budget as years past it was as high as $15,000. Dave suggests to find out the city’s fiscal year and have plans for how the money would be spent to show to the city.
- Amanda will send Eric Fenson information for accountant to log into Square.
- New register is going great! Just waiting on cord to move the register to the back bar for better flow of service for bartenders. Pitcher buttons need to be updated.
- DS Beverage let us know that Lake of the Woods will be moving to bigger kegs, this has been one of our most popular.
- Cathy and Paul are going with the flow and appreciative that they can be at the meetings to help know what is going on at the club.
- Eric J Absent
- Too many people involved with member registration is creating a delay to verify membership dues are being paid.
- Eric Fenson will take over Membership List and updating Curling Club Manager to help keep one source updated.
- Jordan is stepping back from Marketing Duties
- Requests for Social Media updates can be sent to other admins or board members can request for Rob to make them an admin on the page to post themselves.
- Board will look into any other members who may want to take over this role.
- Curling Rocks Bonspiel is coming up. Two day event with 25 teams registered.
- Blue Ox went well, grossed $3000 from entries and games. Club received rent payment. Might have had more attendees if it hadn’t been a hockey weekend.
- Will resume after curling season.
- USA Curling is not giving a firm answer, informed BSU to not factor our event in. BSU Hockey Coach said to let him know this time next year for the 2025 Season.
Olympic Learn To Curl Events:
- First Learn to Curl event will happen nest Wednesday. Learn to Curl portion begins at 5:30 for 1 hour and then pizza and the women’s Olympic game will be on up in the bar. Second event will happen the following Wednesday.
- NBC Sports might come and film clips at the club to stream during the game.
- Bar will be priced as Bonspiel Pricing for these events.
- There will be a registration button for the event on the square to make payment easy.
- Came and went
- Working with Curling MN was interesting. Good competition and online streaming and scoring went well.
Paul Bunyan Bonspiel:
- Posters have gone out.
- Unsure if it will happen but is scheduled for the first weekend in March
- Registration looks better, still unsure and will decide tomorrow if it will happen
- If event does not happen donations that have been received will still go to the sheriff’s department
Club Event Broadcasting:
- Not on Twelfth End Sports yet but we are streaming on YouTube
- Club may want to look into upgrading the video equipment. Bill Sanford offered to help look into this and Juniors would be willing to help with costs.
- Stu & Myles have both renewed.
Rock Handle Engraving:
- Eric J purchased a handle -yay!
- No updates on number stickers. Club should consider having numbers engraved on handles as well to help look more professional. May be a good summer project to have all numbers added at once.
Pins & Merch
- Should hold off on new merchandise purchases until next season and let old stock run out.
- Dave will get costs of sweatshirts that were sold at Blue O to board to vote on selling at the club.
- No members reached out after email about new TV to replace the none working one in the lounge.
- Juniors would be willing to help in covering costs.
Tables & Chairs
- Club will look into having a community rummage sale after the end of curling season.
- Lots of chairs and tables that can be sold and lots of things around the club could be considered to sell to help clear unneeded items out.
- Members of the club could come with their own table of things to sell. Could have the bar open, sell snacks, and charge nonmembers to have table set up to sell items. Would be a great way to have community involved with the club.
Senior Men’s State
- Looking to host at Bemidji in 2023 on Jan 20—22
- 16 Team Minimum
Motion To Host Passed
1st: Stu Noble
2nd: Conrad Kelly
State Signs for Juniors:
- 3 Banners are needed
- Board will reach out to Isiah Woodworking to see if he is able to help get these done
Juniors & BCC Relationship Discussion:
- The Junior Program will be listed as a Sub Committee in our Board Welcome Kit and other documents to help members know how the relationship works
- The Board would like to invite a Juniors Committee Member to the Club Board and attend meetings like the bartenders, etc to help further build the connection and relationship between the two groups.
- Lanny left meeting early
- Questions about installation and payments
End of Year Party:
- Stu would like to figure out an end of season wrap up party
- Would be a nice way to end the season together similar to the Open House. Food, drinks and community.
Motion passed to Adjourn Meeting
1st: Conrad Kelly
2nd: Myles McDanel
Meeting Adjourned at 7:28pm
Next Board Meeting: Wednesday, February 23rd, at 4:15pm