Morning Arrival and Car Rider Dismissal
Morning Car Rider Drop Off
Morning drop off begins at 8:30AM. The drop off point is behind the school. Begin in front of the school and follow the drive around to the back to the sidewalk to the shelter. Adults will come out at 8:30AM to begin letting students out of the cars.
- Have your student ready to leave the car when it is appropriate - an adult will open the door for them.
- Say your good-byes before or as they leave the car.
- Drive away carefully for the space is tight.
- As you follow the drive to the front of the school, be careful passing cars coming to drop off their children.
- The adults have duties beginning at 9:00AM and must leave the drop-off area at this time.
- Any student to be dropped off after 9:00AM must report to the front office to sign in. Parent must accompany.
Afternoon Pick-Ups From the Office
To ensure quality educational instruction time at the end of the teaching day, please refrain from picking up your child after 3:00PM from the office. However, if there is a need to do so, send a note in the day of the dismissal or call ahead of time (before 2:45PM) so arrangements can be made for your student to be ready and to minimize instructional disruption. Those coming to pick-up early without prior arrangements, can be asked become part of the car rider line for their child(ren) to be dismissed to them. At the end of the school day (3:40PM) and students begin to be dismissed to parents, (3:45PM, unless they are slow getting to the cafeteria) the process is quick usually ending at or before 4:00PM.
Car Rider Pick-Up
Hartwood has three separate areas we use for Car Rider Pick-up at the end of the school day.
- Before 3:15PM, car riders begin lining up in the lower parking lot. At 3:15PM, cars in line may move forward and line up in front of the school. Space is limited. Depending on spacing between cars, there is only room for no more than 10 cars at one time. School ends at 3:40pm. Car rider students report the cafeteria to wait to be called that their ride has arrived. Cars begin leaving by 3:45pm. As cars leave, others in line move forward making room for cars in the lower parking lot.
- When the lower parking lot is filled (space for 13 cars), following cars line up across Hartwood Road in the church parking lot. As cars in the lower parking lot move forward to the front of the school, cars in the church parking lot move forward to the lower parking lot. Be careful not to come across Hartwood Road when there may not be enough room for the last car to get off Shackelford Well Road. We must keep this clear for other traffic and busses to get to the bus ramp.
- As car riders move forward from the lower parking lot to the front of the school where students are to be picked up, busses must use the same entry to the bus ramp. Car riders must keep the entry clear and the area at the front of the bus ramp clear so when ready, the busses may leave without interference of cars in the way.
- The last car in line leaves school by 4:00PM - depending on number of car riders and how well students listen for their names. Please instruct your child(ren) to pay attention to the person in the cafeteria calling out when they are to leave.
Car Rider Guidelines
- Be respectful when you arrive, line up at the end of the line. Look to make sure there is no one in the lower parking lot before you go the school and there is room so you don't line up in front of the bus area in the bus ramp. Look to make sure there is room in the lower parking lot and room to get completely off the road. If there is no room, please go to the church parking lot.
- Line up in single file for safety. We do not want any student to cross in front of any cars.
- Any car rider student waiting after 4:00PM will be in the office to wait to be signed out. Please be on time. If you are running late, please call the office to inform so your child can be notified that they are not forgotten.
- Parents / drives are responsible to make sure the student is properly buckled into the seat belt.
- Once your child in buckled in, you may pull out carefully to proceed to Shackelford Well Road.
- PLEASE pay attention in car rider line beginnig at 3:40PM. Put away your Smart phone, tablet, book, whatever you bring to occupy your time waiting for your child. Your attention at this time should be on moving forward when appropriate and safety. If the person in front of you does not notice the line has moved forward and there are several car lengths available, honk to get their attention. Some school do not permit drives to have electronics or books out while in line.