Audition Video Guide - Quick Hits
- Video is 20-30 minutes long and includes a lesson plan as an attachment to the application
- One continuous lesson that includes:
- Introduction to new material, AND
- Guided practice, AND
- Teacher and audience (of at least 3-5 people) are in the frame and clearly audible
- Your audition video should feature a student-centered classroom that highlights students engaging with rigorous content. Please do not submit footage from a review lesson.
How will the Audition Video be evaluated?
Teaching samples will be evaluated using the Essential Practices, which is used to evaluate instruction across all DC Public Schools. For more information about the Essential Practices, as well as DCPS’ evaluation system, IMPACT, please visit our website here. Teacher audition video evaluation criteria include:
- Is the lesson objective-driven?
- Are students actively engaged in the learning experience?
- Are all tasks and activities connected to one another and effectively promote student understanding?
- Are students engaged in meaningful and rigorous work?
- Does the teacher check for understanding effectively and at appropriate times?
No access to a classroom?
- Footage of your own classroom, or a colleague’s classroom) from the current or previous school year
- Footage of a sample/mock lesson in which you teach to a group (3 -5) of adult peers (i.e. friends, colleagues) or students. This does not need to take place in a traditional classroom setting.
How to Upload Audition Video- You can use your phone!
- Visit Google Drive and log in (or register) using your Gmail username and password
- Click “New” → “File Upload” → Once uploaded, right click on your File and select “Get shareable Link” → Make sure “Link sharing” is On → select “Anyone with link can view” under “Sharing settings”→ Copy the video link (click “Done”) and paste in audition video tile on your Candidate Dashboard. Remember to also attach the corresponding lesson plan.
- Create an account or sign in → click on “upload” icon (upwards arrow with horizontal line under) in top right → from computer: select audition video file (save file as “First_Name Last_Name Application” OR from cell phone, share audition video from phone to YouTube with same file name → select “Unlisted” for privacy setting → Copy the video link and paste in audition video tile on your Candidate Dashboard. Remember to also attach the corresponding lesson plan.
If you have more than one video file, please use Google Drive. Our system can only accept one link per applicant. As such, you will need to save each file in to one folder. From there, you will want to upload the folder-specific link to your application (as opposed to the video-specific link).
Please see the full-length Audition Video Guide to see in-depth requirements, upload steps, and FAQ responses.
For additional questions, please reach out to the Teacher Recruitment and Selection team at email@example.com.