Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings

12.05.18 at 5:30 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire

BOD Approved on 12.17.18

  1. Work Session: Special Community Member Forum
  1. Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member (via phone)
  1. Absent from BOD: Melissa Gould
  2. Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
  3. Sign In Sheet: See sign-in sheet, names of those in attendance to be inserted before approved
  1. Introduction - Kelli Jackson, President
  2. Community members may use this time to speak to the board; three minute time cap please.  For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at bod@kivacharter.org.  Please note that issues concerning personnel matters need to follow the Communication Pathway and Grievance Procedure.
  1. Questions / Comments from the Community:
  1. What can we, as parents, do to help save our school?
  2. Is this a building issue?
  3. What is the time frame on the building?
  4. Is the decrease in enrollment due to transportation?
  5. Were we at full enrollment per our contract for October count?
  6. Is the District willing to negotiate our enrollment numbers due to unexpected factors; especially considering enrollment decline is mainly due to building issues.
  7. Can we provide the District with a recovery plan?
  8. Is there another building we could occupy within the District’s boundaries?
  9. How are we going to save our school?
  10. Is the Re1 Board making a decision on Tuesday, December 11, 2018?
  11. Can we transition after the end of the school year?
  12. A few parents expressed that they would prefer to transfer at break rather than in the spring.  Others expressed this is not a factor for them, they want to push on.
  13. What would the appeal process look like with the District?
  14. We need to decide what we are going to do for the benefit of our children - we can’t keep hanging on to hope.  We can’t just keep waiting.
  15. What does it look like for kids that are not going to go back to the District?
  16. Where are we at with hiring a new Head of School?
  17. Can we organize a private school?
  18. You can take what you would be willing to pay for private school and contribute that to the school right now - as long as the District will work with us.  We don’t have to keep surviving on the minimum amount in the budget, this community could do more.  Although Re1 would not allow for potential contributions to be considered in the projected budget, if contribution were made then they would become a part of the budget.
  19. We hope the district will allow us the chance to see that we can potentially raise funds.
  20. Why aren’t we being treated the same way as any other school in this district?
  21. If we are about the kids, then we let them stay until the end of the year.
  22. How did we go from negative articles in the paper to potentially shutting down our school?
  23. Communication has been opened back up since the previous HOS has been gone.
  24. Had we known more, we would have come sooner.
  25. We need more than just emails, we need papers sent home.
  26. You can’t believe everything that is the newspaper.
  27. There has to be an alternative building.
  28. If you look at this from a business perspective, we are on the brink of great things - unless you think the whole idea of your organization is flawed.  You have just had a few bad quarters.  The issues presented can be addressed and corrected.
  29. In order to reach the whole child, we need to have a stable home.
  30. Look at our scores the first year, they were great.  After growing too quickly, our scores went down.  Moving forward we can control growth and it will naturally help our scores.
  31. Having schools of choice in our district benefit everyone.  It is not wise for the District to remove a school of choice.
  32. We should take the risk - even if it means shutting down later on.
  33. Maybe my kids can’t bring up the scores, but they are succeeding and growing.
  34. Why do we have to surrender?  Does that benefit Re1?
  35. Crow Canyon is a great place for an education - our kids will develop skills there that will never show up on tests.
  36. Battle Rock students wrote persuasive essays today on why schools of choice are important.  One Kiva Middle School student is working on a video that demonstrates why schools of choice are important.
  37. When is this Board going to make a decision?
  1. Answers / Clarification from BOD:
  1. Building
  1. We hired an asbestos manager yesterday.  She will communicate with the Children’s Kiva Building Corp (CKBC) and the CDPHE on its behalf.  She will be overseeing everything to do with asbestos in the building and guiding the CKBC forward.
  2. We do not have a timeline on the building right now.  If we had it, we would certainly share it.  As soon we have more information, we will share it with you.
  3. CKBC owns the building, not the school.  It’s sole purpose of existence is for the school.  However, all costs related to the building belong to CKBC.  If they can not meet their financial obligations, the building will be surrendered to the bank.
  4. The Building and Location Committee has looked at every possible location in this area for our students, including but not limited, to the old Walmart Building, the old Empire Electric, Johnson Building, various churches, and many more.
  1. Enrollment
  1. Our contract states that we will have 95 FTE.  Our October count was 87 FTE.
  2. We have lost 18 percent of our students since this last move to Crow Canyon, with more students leaving.
  1. We are in breach of contract in the following areas: budget (including statement from the audit, not meeting the audit and other financial deadlines, and use of TABOR), academic performance, enrollment.
  2. As a community, no matter how this board votes, we need to stay united and positive for our children.
  3. Communication
  1. We have been communicating with the District through this process.  This sudden decision came about due to increased concerns regarding our contract and the best time to transition students.  The District set this date for us on November 30, 2018.
  2. We will make every effort to provide communication to you via email, text, website, and hard copies when appropriate.
  1. Overall preference of the community present: do not surrender.
  1. Lori Haukeness, Re1 Superintendent’s Comments:
  1. Personally invited our Kiva Community to a special meeting on Monday, December 10, 2018 at 5:30 pm at the District Office, 400 N Elm.
  2. The reason for the December 11th deadline is due to what we feel is in the best interest of the students.  A transition at a natural break will be best for the students.
  3. Emphasized and sympathized with the difficulty of dealing with asbestos issues.  When the E/M S BOD says they do not know the time table of the building, they truly do not know.  It is out of their hands.  The state works at their own pace and will not conform to others schedules.
  4. Accreditation - for the students in our district, we should not have any schools on Priority Improvement Plans or in Turn Around status.  As the Superintendent, I will shut down any school that is not serving the students well.
  5. We would like the E/M S BOD to make a decision before Tuesday’s Board meeting.

  1. Call to Order - Special Meeting
  1. Kelli called the meeting to order at 7:15 pm.
  1. Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member (via phone)

Absent from BOD: Melissa Gould

Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD

Community Members: None

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

  1. Motion to Adopt Agenda: Stacey moved to approve the agenda as presented.  Motion seconded.  No discussion.  All in favor of the motion.  Motion carried.

  1. Business:

  1. Discussion of IHOS
  1. Option of hiring IHOS or Contractual Advisor
  1. Due to this being an “interim” position, we have been advised that we can offer the position prior to being posted for 14 days.
  1. Cayce moved that we approve the Letter of Hire for Jon Orris as IHOS should the Board decide to continue forward with the Charter as is and with the ability to offer that letter effective the date the decision is made by the Board.  Motion seconded.  No discussion.  Roll Call Vote: Stacey - aye, Tamia - aye, Cayce - aye, Holley - aye, Jordan - aye.  Motion carried.

  1. New Business
  1. Cayce asked if we could hold an Executive Session to seek legal counsel prior to our making a decision.  Although we have consulted with our lawyer through this process, it would be beneficial to discuss this with him in more detail.
  1. Kelli: arrange a time that we can meet with our lawyer in an Executive Session.

  1. BOD Report to Kiva Konnect Newsletter or Community, if applicable
  1. Cayce: provide Lexi and Morgan an update from our meeting regarding upcoming Re1 and E/M S Board Meetings for Kiva Konnect.

  1. Next Meeting(s)
  1. Executive Session with our lawyer, time and location TBD.
  2. Special Board Meeting - Monday, December 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm at Children’s House, 1204 E Empire.

  1. Adjournment - Stacey moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 7:47 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of