Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
11.13.18 at 6:30 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 12.17.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary (via phone); Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: Andrea Witkowski, Crescent Rossiter, Daniel Rossiter, Joel Cosper, Sara Parks, Rebecca Milholland, Kayla Maynard, Alyce Billy, Trena Yazzie, Emily Wisner, Angie Seeley, Carter Pape, Megan O’Rourke, Shannon Pixler
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Melissa moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. Discussion: Cayce requested the addition of a verbal report to item V.a. Hiring Committee Update. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Hiring Committee Update - Cayce
- Report, Verbal
- The committee has received applications for the IHOS position. The committee has organized an interviewing panel and has a list of questions for the applicants. Interviewing will begin as early as next week.
- The Hiring Committee needs approval from the Board to use funds for advertising for the IHOS position.
- Cayce moved to approve an allowance of up to $500 for advertising expenses for the Interim Head of School position. Motion seconded. Discussion: Finance Committee has not approved this, but there is money in our budget to cover this expense. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- IHOS Update - Alexia
- Crow Canyon
- School will resume tomorrow morning at Crow Canyon Archeological Center (CCAC).
- Transportation is still in the works.
- Note: Transportation was an original waiver when we started the Charter.
- Right now, we plan to use CCAC campus through February, this will allow the building to be near completion.
- We have more space at CCAC than we did previously.
- Gates Building will house the upper and lower elementary classes.
- The Lodge will house the middle school, teacher workroom, computer lab, and cafeteria.
- Linda Whitehead, ESS, has been able to service students with IEPs the last few days - great experience.
- Current Volunteer Needs
- We had an excellent turn out on Saturday to help transfer items from the zircons to CC.
- Additional volunteers came to help assemble shelves.
- Additional materials were accessed at the storage unit.
- Emily Wisner picked up additional items for the staff.
- Positive note - additional Montessori materials were found in the storage shed at Children's House from the Manaugh program.
- Current Material Needs
- Teachers are still developing lists of needs.
- Other organizations are willing to loan us materials for the time being. Alexia will contact them as needs arise.
- Transportation Needs
- Please contact Alexia if you are having hardships with transportation.
- Building and Location Update - Stacey
- Presentation of Kiva Community Update 11.12.18
- No additional comments
- New Business
- No new business.
- Special Community Member Forum: Community members may use this time to speak to the board; three minute time cap please. For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your name prior to speaking.
- Kelli shared the following letter prior to opening the forum:
- Opening Letter for Community Forum 11.13.18
- Megan O’Rourke, a student, addressed the board concerning an issue with a teacher. Prior to going into any specifics, Kelli thanked Megan for her courage in coming before the board, but encouraged her to follow our Communication Pathway regarding her concerns.
- The following document has been created and hyperlinked referencing comments during this portion of the meeting:
- Questions and Answers: Special Community Member Forum 11.13.18
- Next Meeting
- Next BOD meeting(s)
- Regular Board Meeting - 5:30 pm (Work Session), 7 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, November 26, 2018 at Children’s House or Crow Canyon
- Adjournment: Stacey moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:28 pm.
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary