WISE FOOL NEW MEXICO
YOUTH OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Position Description December 2017
POSITION SUMMARY: The Youth Programs Coordinator is responsible for youth programming that occurs in schools through our Circus Comes to Schools programs including TeenBUST, and in other settings off-site. This position is both an administrative position, managing existing programs, and a leadership position, which strives to further integrate Wise Fool’s social justice and self-empowerment values into youth programming, and expand programs to reach targeted and underserved youth. They act as a representative of Wise Fool, making sure that all inquiries about Wise Fool youth outreach programming are answered promptly. Applicants should have a passion for circus and social justice, speak Spanish, and have or be willing to develop experience teaching youth.
SCHEDULE & COMPENSATION: $15/hour for 8 hours per week ($6,240/yr, schedule may vary seasonally) plus access to studio for training. Youth Programs Coordinator is encouraged to teach youth classes as qualified for additional compensation ($29.10/hr lead teacher, $19.40/hr assistant teacher). Possibility to combine with Office Coordinator position.
REPORTING TO: Artistic Director
PRIMARY DUTIES: Overseeing and directing all programming in the schools and other outreach programs, including, but not limited to
Scheduling & Administration
- Schedule classes with school representatives.
- In coordination with the Artistic Director develop and implement a budget for each youth outreach program
- Work with Programs Director to bring students from the Circus Comes to Schools program into studio programming, including marketing studio classes/camps to parents and doing outreach to parents whose children may need tuition assistance
- Maintain at least five “office hours” weekly, primarily engaged in work related to youth outreach programs, but also responsible for answering the phone, assisting anyone who walks in asking for information, and carrying out other front office tasks.
- Assist with administrative needs of summer camps.
- Hire and contract Instructors, with an eye toward diversity, particularly with respect to race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation age and income.
- Attend and assist Program Director in developing content for lead teacher meetings prior to each session and work with teachers to ensure preparedness & adequate equipment/supplies
- Attend Wise Fool anti-oppression and staff/teacher trainings.
- Assist Programs Director & Artistic Director with teacher evaluations.
Outreach & Communication
- Engage in outreach that promotes a diverse student body, particularly with respect to race/ethnicity, gender, age and income. This includes specific outreach to schools, Spanish-speaking parents, and promoting scholarships to appropriate youth.
- Communicate with teachers and parents/guardians about programming in schools
- Host at least one “open house” annually to encourage families of Circus Comes to Schools students and other targeted families to check out the Wise Fool studio and enroll students in programming.
Planning & Assessment
- Assist Program Director & Artistic Director with developing curriculum appropriate to Wise Fool’s social circus and social justice focus.
- Assist with the development of “ladders of progression,” i.e. providing pathways for youth students to develop skills that ultimately may lead to teaching/performing work with Wise Fool.
- Develop short and mid-range goals for youth outreach program and communicate program needs and goals to grantwriting team, assist with grant activity development, and track grant-funded activity for contract compliance.
- Implement and refine evaluation protocols for youth classes. Present outcomes to Artistic and Managing Director.
- Work with community members to book performances for teen troupe.
- Work with staff to ensure video/ photography documentation is created
- Experience with youth education and curriculum development.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, using Microsoft Office and social media.
- Experience creating and managing budgets, using Excel and/or Quickbooks.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to organize multiple programs at a time and to plan ahead.
- Involvement in social justice, anti-oppression, and self-empowerment activities.
- Experience teaching/performing circus.
- Experience with website content management and registration software.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 4, 2018. Position hiring immediately.
ABOUT WISE FOOL NEW MEXICO
Wise Fool New Mexico ignites imagination, builds community, and promotes social justice through performances and hands-on experiences in the arts of circus, puppetry, and theatre. Each year Wise Fool provides over 2000 New Mexicans with hands-on programs and performs for over 18,000 people across New Mexico and the U.S. www.wisefoolnewmexico.org