Log into Chromebook when no internet is available
In order to log in without an internet connection, the user must have logged in to the Chromebook at least once when it was connected to the Internet. When a new user logs in to a Chromebook, a profile for that user is built in the background and is what allows the user to login when the Internet connection is removed.
Step 1: From the login screen, click the "sign in as an existing user" link:
Step 2: Enter your full email address and log in as you would normally.
You should now be logged in to your local Chromebook profile.
Work on Google Docs, Sheets, & Slides offline
Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad
If you aren't connected to the internet, you can still create, view, and edit files on:
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
Use Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides offline
You can save the most recently opened documents on your computer.
Before you turn on offline access
How to turn on offline access
- Open Google Drive.
- At the top right, click Settings Settings.
- Turn on Offline setting.
- To work offline, in your Chrome browser, open Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- If you want to use offline access for another Google Account, make sure you're signed in to the right Chrome profile. Learn how to switch Chrome profiles.
- You can also turn on offline access from Docs, Sheets, or Slides settings. If you turn on offline access for Docs, Sheets, Slides, or Drive, then the rest will also be available offline.
- Alternatively, to turn on offline access, open any Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation, and click See document status Turn on Turn on.
Turn off offline access
- Open Google Docs.
- Click Menu Settings.
- On the right, turn off Offline.
Make specific files available offline
If you have enough storage, some of your most recent files will be automatically saved offline. To manually select files to save offline:
- Follow the steps above to turn on offline access in Google Drive.
- Open the Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides home screen.
- On the file you want to use offline, click More .
- Click Available offline. A check mark will appear in the bottom left corner to show that the file is available offline.
Tip: You can also make a file available offline by opening a Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation, and clicking File Make available offline.
Check if a document is ready for offline use
- On your computer, open a file in Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- Click See document status .
Tip: If your document is not ready to edit offline, an explanation will appear.