Iowa City Eels Swim Club
Cubes Group Description:
Cubes training reinforces fundamental skills introduced in Frost with more routine conditioning, a pointed emphasis on turns, and a number of stroke specific drills. Most Cubes swimmers start in the Frost group, and range from ages 9 to 12. Cubes compete in all home meets, ISI Championship meets, and at least one meet a month; swimmers should expect to eventually swim longer, more challenging events, including 200s of stroke, 200 IM, and the 400/500 FR. Practices place a strong emphasis on following instructions and increasingly consistent performance. Swimmers are expected to contact a head coach for makeup practices if they can not meet the minimum number of workouts each week.
Practices 10 min stretching / dryland -- 60min in water; can run slightly late if sets/drills need to be repeated 3+ practices / week required; please communicate with head coach if participating in multiple sports Required equipment: water bottle, swim cap, goggles (kick boards, pull buoys, etc. are provided by ICE)
- Swimmers are expected to play an active role in their event selection each season. Cubes are encouraged to participate in any meet open to the group, and should consider setting up a goal meeting with the head coach to plan a meet schedule. This meeting also serves as an introduction to long-term goal setting, and is required of 2nd season Cubes, ages 10+
- Skills can help smart swimmers get better, but athletes need more than technique to push themselves competitively. Cubes are expected to follow through with race reviews and assigned warm ups / cool downs, display race mentality & genuine sportsmanship, and demonstrate near complete independence from coaches and parents during competition.
- Cubes race strictly within their age groups, but swim a wide range of distances and events. Swimmers should expect to compete in all four strokes regularly, and gradually begin familiarizing themselves with Silver, ISI State, and Central Zones qualifying times relative to their personal bests.
- Cubes are expected to review their races with a supervising coach before and after every event they participate in, including those at the end of meet sessions. Cubes should practice consistently in the days and weeks surrounding all meets, and should look to begin making connections between practices and competition daily.
*Group Progression Standards (Waves)
- Legal starts, turns, and finishes for a 100 of each stroke; legal 200 IM
- Can complete a 1000-1200yd set holding good streamlines, stroke technique
- Solid understanding & execution of lane etiquette, basic pace intervals, and safe pool entry / exit
- Can complete 8x50 FR on 1:00 averaging :40; 4x50 flutter/dolphin kick on 1:20 averaging 1:00
- Personally motivated to move forward into higher training group
- Full participation in Championship meets when qualified, begin reducing conflicting sports/activities
*Final decisions regarding group placement are up to the head coach, without exception