ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group
Meeting Agenda & Minutes
January 23, 2018 18:00 UTC
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/527322292
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16465588656,,527322292# or +16699006833,,527322292#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833
Meeting ID: 527 322 292
International numbers available: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=NlM_jVg2oPMJFrCSdmp9MWa1f9N8F8s8
Or an H.323/SIP room system:
220.127.116.11 (US West)
18.104.22.168 (US East)
22.214.171.124 (Hong Kong)
Meeting ID: 527 322 292
Agenda and minutes
- Round table (who is attending)
- Ruth Duerr
- David Baker
- Bill Manley
- Øystein Godøy
- Adoption of agenda
- David asked for addition of an agenda item under item 6.
- Review of minutes of previous meeting
- No updates to existing document are registered, no comments to the minutes were received and the minutes are now considered accepted.
- Quick update on collaboration tools
- The external website under SAON/IASC Arctic Data Committee site is updated.
- Links to collaboration tools have been included in the website.
- A short update on progress is suggested for each meeting held.
- Further discussion on how to utilise Slack. Should we use SlackIn to let people join without invitation? NSF ADC is offering to help establishing this. Check http://slack.dataone.org/ to see it in action.
- Discussion and decisions
- Concerning the discussion on the external website, it was decided that minutes of the group should be published in the website. The minutes are considered public after the subsequent meeting has reviewed and accepted the minutes. Minutes are linked directly from the Google Drive, but in order to avoid unintended editing documents are locked for editing prior to publishing them. Ruth Duerr will check how to do this.
- Following the brief status update on collaboration tools, the discussion asked for a review of the various collaboration tools and identification of the primary purpose for each tool. In order to facilitate this a small document will be provided for the next meeting. This document will identify some use cases and tools an lead up to a discussion in the group on which tools to use for which purpose. David Baker will provide this document. The deadline is February 13th.
- Overview of relevant vocabularies
- Review of the Google form template (see Action Item list from last meeting below).
- SiriJodha to look for URIs for semantic resource type definitions and update the Semantic Resource Types document and form appropriately.
- Ruth to use radio button style for semantic resource type question, with short definitions on the Google form
- Ruth update form to include the possibility of many URL’s with different types: SPARQL end point vs web site vs repository link vs name space
- Ruth update form to include formats as check boxes: HTML, SKOS, OWL, JSON-LD, RDF-XML, RDF-Turtle, RDF-N4, Other (require fill in)
- Ruth provided a status report. All her changes requested above have been applied. The discussion revealed that a question asking for information on the governance structure of the resource should be added. Potential approaches can be Non-profit, Project, Community, etc, other? Ruth Duerr will update the form in time for the next meeting when it will be discussed further.
- Brief discussion on requirements for vocabulary management tools
- Øystein informed that there are activities in the context of the WMO Global Cryosphere Watch developing a vocabulary for description of variables in the context of the WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS). This development engages a number of experts in the field and there have been a discussion on tools to simplify this work which currently is undertaken using spreadsheets. In order to engage the experts in the field, tools should be simple to use and provide a clear benefit over spreadsheets. Some initial high level requirements are:
- Tracking of dialogue
- Tracking of decisions
- Import/export functionality (Interoperability)
- Discussion and decisions
- Before tools are listed and discussed, it is wise to start with use cases and a requirements document. There should not be focus on tools before the requirements are clear. Øystein Godøy will initiate a document that is structured hierarchically along two pillars, technology and business requirements. David Baker will help develop the document and Ruth Duerr will review.
- Update on CASRAI/CODATA IRIDIUM Glossary and seeking Polar Data reviews (David)
- David gave an update on activities. A working group has just started activities and would like the Polar Semantics community to ensure that the polar context is evaluated while reviewing terms. Ideally this would mean contribute to the review once or twice a year. David Baker will provide more background material (text for the agenda item and 1 page of background information) for the next meeting. Further discussion is postponed to the next meeting.
- Outreach strategy
- Deferred from last meeting
- Postponed to February 20th meeting as the attendance during this meeting was too small.
- Awareness updates (roundtable)
- Ruth provided information on the work done on the WMO GCW glossary. The GCW glossary is essentially a compilation of terms from existing vocabularies. This implies that a number of terms have slightly inconsistent definitions. Øystein informed that this is a problem since the GCW glossary is used to define the vocabulary for cryosphere variables in WIGOS.
- Ruth informed about the Glacier vocabulary hackathon February 2. If interested ask Ruth who will provide information. One week later there will be a debrief. Part of an ongoing series. Ruth will provide further information in slack.
- Next meeting
- Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1800 UTC.
- Next meeting will be 2018-02-20 18:00 UTC