Patient Service Representative
Westside Children’s Therapy
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
Westside Children’s Therapy is a leading provider of pediatric therapy in Illinois. Westside's services include physical, occupational, speech, behavior, feeding, and neurofeedback therapy to children with developmental disabilities. Westside operates private therapy clinics in the suburbs of Chicago.
Westside has grown substantially in recent years - developing from a small family business into a mid-sized company. Growth has been steadily strong with the company expanding 40% year-over-year for the last 4 years. This has created an urgent need for new levels of business management, including this new Human Resource Specialist role.
Westside Core Values & Beliefs
1. RELATIONSHIPS - Westside believes in helping its patients families feel supported, so much that patients consider Westside an extended member of their family and the clinic a second home.
2. TEAMWORK - Westside believes in the power of teamwork. We work together respectfully and refrain from actions that take away from becoming a more cohesive team. Our teams work together to provide the best possible, end-to-end experience.
3. COMMUNICATION - Westside believes in continuous improvement through constructive feedback and open communication. We feel comfortable identifying opportunities for Westside to get better, and we communicate ideas with a positive, forward-thinking attitude. We always communicate professionally and proactively.
4. GROWTH - Westside believes in growth both for employees as individuals and over the long term, of the organization. Without growth, we restrict the collective impact we can have on children in need.
5. ATTITUDE - Westside believes in creating a "work hard, have fun" culture where employees genuinely enjoy coming to work and being part of the Westside family. Each employee's attitude positively strengthens the culture.
6. INITIATIVE - Westside values action and decisiveness over inaction. We neither let issues linger nor emptily complain. Instead, we develop solutions and act.
7. EFFICIENCY - Westside does not exist to maximize profit, yet we must nonetheless be an efficient, productive, and profitable business, or else we limit our ability to achieve our purpose.
Westside Children's Therapy provides high quality pediatric therapy and fosters a family-centered environment.
Company Current Mission
Westside's current mission is to become the most respected and admired pediatric therapy company in the Chicagoland area. Amid growth, Westside will remain vigilant in prioritizing our sole purpose of providing the highest quality pediatric therapy experience.
Our culture is non-negotiable. We love it too much. If you are uncomfortable with anything we do, that’s okay. We might not be the best fit for you. But if you read this and jump with excitement, then let’s talk. This is who we are:
- We laugh a lot at work and think that work without laughing feels too empty
- We take our jobs seriously but not ourselves
- We sometimes forget that “our kids” are not really our kids
- We get really excited about throwing a Halloween party in our parking lot every year
- We provide stipends for coworkers to go out to dinner together
- We don’t like big egos or people feeling like “their status” makes them exceptional – we view ourselves as an equal team all fighting for the same thing: great quality of care
- We occasionally hide links to “Rick Roll” videos in our email chains
- Sometimes we play oversized Jenga before we leave the office on our early release Fridays
- We seem to have a strange proclivity for pranks
- We once had a staff meeting interrupted by a singing woman dressed in a chicken suit (people shrugged off that experience alarmingly quickly)
- We are almost universally Blackhawks fans and will go to games for staff events
- One of our favorite staff events is going to a Cubs rooftop for a game even though half the time is spent stopping for bathroom breaks on the way there
- Our co-workers are our friends
- We are authentic
- We hug a lot
- We think big
- We are willing to be vulnerable and give/receive feedback frequently
- We think of ourselves as a “Team of Teams” – inspired by a book from our monthly book club
- We are solution oriented, not complaint-oriented
- We are not afraid to make mistakes, and we openly admit to our mistakes
- We are proactive and prefer action over inaction
- We treat all disciplines and teams as equal – that especially includes our billing and admin teams. They rock just as much as our therapists.
- We live with deep passion – if you’re going to spend the majority of your week doing something, you might as well spend that time making a huge impact!
Patient Service Representative Position
- Excellent interpersonal skills - an ability to build relationships quickly with employees. You will become an advocate and trusted advisor for all of our employees.
- A burning desire to improve others - if this job had to be boiled down to one phrase, it would be: help people grow. You need to first understand the employees and then put them on a path to becoming a greater version of themselves.
- Effective communication skills - an ability to engage productively in sensitive conversations with employees around compensation schedules, promotion tracks, concerns areas, and skill development.
- Have a strong ethical and moral compass - having instincts to always do right by employees, patients, partners, and job applicants and to never stray from the business’s core mission of helping families and employees
- Have an enormous sense of possibility and an unwavering can-do attitude - a challenge should excite you. We are looking for problem-solvers who are eager to “figure out a way” when given problems to solve.
- Be a great listener - an ability to learn an industry, a company, and a staff very quickly
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills - an ability to formulate ways to not just solve status quo issues but to also execute on next-gen activities that advance our employee development initiatives
- Humility - an inclination to give credit to others when things go well and to look to self as a possible source of blame when things go wrong
- A respect for data – Must have an ability to track, analyze, and interpret employee data. Our company operates utilizes data to advise HR decisions.
Patient Service Represenative Responsibilities
• Handle all non-billing telephone calls
• Be responsible for therapist schedules in our electronic appointment system
• Be responsible for scheduling all new patient evaluations and basic benefit verification
• Handle all changes in scheduling of appointments
• Manage and keep organized all patient charts
• Keeps all patient information up to date and accurate
• Makes sure all patient forms are current
• Ensure that all referrals, scripts, and authorizations are current and valid
• Be responsible for making sure all evaluations and progress notes are faxed to the appropriate physician and returned timely
• Notify patients of cancellation concerns and applicable fees
• Collect co-pays and patient payments from patients in person
• Responsible for general upkeep of the office
• Responsible for making sure office supplies are stocked
Most importantly, though, the admin MUST have a welcoming, kid-friendly attitude that represents the spirit of a caring, pediatric therapy clinic.
- You will not be given a handbook on “this is how it has to be.” Instead, you will need to constantly recreate the handbook to make Westside the best it can be. And this needs to excite you. We are looking for builders who want to make something better.
- You will be our human resource leader. Our hopes are that our last 4 years of groundwork have been appropriately guided, but if you have to tear down to build anew, so be it. Embrace the vision, adjust as needed, and boldly propel our employee development processes as far as you possibly can.
- In many cases, there is not going to be a right or wrong answer to a decision. And people are going to look to you to make the call. Be comfortable with having to make decisions amid inevitable uncertainty. Our philosophy is that action is better than inaction.
- Constantly listen for feedback and get better.
- You should have one ear to the ground throughout all interactions with employees. You should view them as a reliable feedback source on how we can support them better.
- Solve Westside’s toughest HR problems.
- You need to embrace the challenge of taking on the toughest HR problems head-on, and this should not intimidate you. We are looking for people who can rise to the challenge.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications
Please e-mail resumes to:
Additional company information may be found at