The Age of Exploration
Message from the King and Queen:
Hello crewmembers…You have been hired to work directly with a famous explorer from our country. We have a few tasks for each of you on this lengthy journey. We know there has been little documentation if any at all of the places you and your head explorer are about to embark upon. We need you to complete the task listed….
- We need a detailed map diagraming your journey from beginning to end. (100 points)
- Either a poster OR scribblemaps.com
- If this is a poster it needs to be in a size that would be large enough for all townspeople to read as they are passing by on the streets.
- This map must be color coded. (Green = Continents, Blue = Oceans, water & settlements = other colors)
- Your journey must be completely displayed with a line(s).
- On the map indicate the sighting/finding with a number. (1-10)
- A key/legend must be created to coordinate with your journal entries, home country and destination(s).
- Informational sections outlining the key facts about your explorer.
- We need you to keep a detailed journal of your voyage. (100 points)
- As a team we need ______ documented sightings/ findings from your quest. Each will be indicated on the map according to where they took place and labeled in the key/legend.
- These must be kept in an organized journal.
- Each person must contribute equally to the journal entries
- This must be written in your own words, in the first person.
- Each entry must be at least one paragraph 7+sentences.
- Each entry must be dated and signed by the writer
- These sighting/findings could be (land, people, items, waterways, other civilizations etc)
- One entry must include a primary source quote with citation.
- All sightings/findings are MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- All journals are submitted to edmodo as well for your portfolio.
- We need to hear about your success and how it will help our country. (100 points)
- You will be asked to present your findings (journal) to the King or Queen and all townspeople.
- This presentation will include all members of the crew
- All members must stand in front for credit. Leaning/sitting loses credit.
- You must speak clear and loud.
- As you are presenting your journal we need you to indicate your findings on your newly created map of your journey.
- We need all crewmembers to work cooperatively throughout the journey (100 points)
- Your group will consist of 1 famous explorer and two other crewmembers.
- All crewmembers will contribute to all required tasks.
- Voice levels in the group must remain at a level 1.
- All members will provide a grade for other crewmembers after the presentation.
Henry the Navigator – Europe & Africa
Treaty of Tordesillas – S. America, & N. America
Amerigo Vespucci – Europe, N & S America
Hernan Cortes – Europe. N America
Francisco Pizarro – Europe, N. America & S. America
John Cabot – N. America, Europe
Samuel de Champlain - N. America, Europe
Henry Hudson - N. America, Europe
Jacques Cartier - N. America, Europe
Hernando de Soto - N. America, Europe
Robert de Lasalle - N. America, Europe
Francisco Coronado - N. America, Europe
Marquette & Jolliet – N. America
Ponce de Leon - N. America, Europe, S. America, Africa
Extra Credit - Ferdinand Magellan
#20 I can research my explorer
- I am__________
- Dates alive
- Early biography info
- Who they sail for
- What they sail for-goals
- Voyage(s) dates
- Voyage(s) key events
- Landing point(s)