Local Wellness Policy
Kaizen Education Foundation dba South Pointe Elementary School promotes healthy schools by supporting wellness, good nutrition, and physical activity as part of the total learning environment. South Pointe Elementary School is dedicated to providing a school environment that enhances learning and development of lifelong wellness practices.
- The school will participate in the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program and the Summer Foods Program.
- Food served on campus will meet all Nutritional Standards designated by the USDA.
- All students will have an opportunity to eat healthy, well-balanced meals at no charge.
- Provide students with a school environment that is safe, clean, comfortable, and allow adequate time and space for consumption of meals.
- South Pointe Elementary School does not participate in selling food items or Smart Snacks.
- Students will have access to free, safe, and fresh drinking water throughout the school day.
- The school will provide skim and 1% milk to students.
- Soda will not be available for sale on school grounds.
- Students will be exposed to Fresh Fruit and Vegetables 8 times per month.
- Nutrition education shall be integrated within the comprehensive health education curriculum and be taught at every grade level.
- Students will be encouraged to start each day with a healthy breakfast.
- The school shall support the nutrition education program and be linked to the school meal program.
- The school will provide nutrition education through the use of the school's announcements, newsletters, and website.
- Students will have access to nutritional education provided by caterer (Food Rules).
- All stakeholders will be provided the opportunity to give feedback on wellness goals through our website, e-mail or open house events.
Physical Education & Physical Activity:
- Physical Education classes are available for all students in all grade levels.
- All students in grades K-5 shall receive daily supervised recess.
- Students in grades K-5 will receive approximately 120 minutes per week of physical education instruction in addition to 80 minutes of recess per week.
- The school promotes physical activity through school events such as Field Day and Turkey Trot.
Promote Student Wellness:
- The school will create a school health advisory council (SHAC), to develop, monitor review and revise the Local Wellness Policy annually. The SHAC, which may consist of NSLP coordinator, parents, students, school administrators, Physical Education Instructors, Board Members, will serve as a resource the school for implementing these policies.
- Menus will be posted on the school website and sent home with students monthly.
- The school will use website and other social media to help promote school meals and wellness
- Policy recommendations are available via e-mail and at the Local Wellness Policy meeting.
Implementation and Monitoring:
- To ensure implementation of the LWP, the policy will be posted on the school website. Maria Miramontes will be responsible for monitoring policy implementation and distributing pertinent information to the schools.
Local Wellness Policy Revised August 8, 2018