Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
11.30.18 at 4:30 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 12.17.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 4:37 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member; *Note - Melissa Gould called in at 5:15 pm
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Motion to Adopt Agenda: Stacey moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. Discussion: Cayce requested two addition items be added to VII. New Business. (a) Schedule of Board members attending Re1 Board meetings. (b) Communication regarding recent articles in the Journal. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Executive Session
- C.R.S 24-6-402 (4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of potential IHOS compensation.
- At 4:47 pm Stacey moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of potential IHOS compensation. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried. Kelli stipulated that all E/M S BOD members and Alexia Hudson-McGrath, IHOS be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend.
- At 5:04 pm Cayce moved to invite Urulu Yazzie, FD into the Executive Session. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Stacey moved to exit out of Executive Session at 5:14 pm. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Hiring and Evaluation Committee
- Under ‘Special Notes’ on the website, the following was posted on 11.29.18:
- The Hiring and Evaluation Committee would like to inform the public as of 11.29.18 that the following candidates are being considered for the Interim Head of School position:
- Carter, Sam
- Orris, Jon
- Pope, Jeff
- IHOS Discussion
- Cayce gave a verbal report of the hiring process.
- There were three applicants that were interviewed.
- The committee recommends Jon Orris as their first choice as candidate for the IHOS position.
- The board will not take any action until December 13, 2018.
- New Business
- Schedule of Board members attending Re1 Board meetings.
- Cayce suggested a rotating calendar.
- Cayce: attend Re1’s Board Meeting on December 11, 2018.
- Tamia: create a doodle poll for Re1 Board Meetings.
- Communication regarding recent articles in the Journal.
- Next Meeting
- Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:00 pm at Children’s House
- Adjournment - Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:27 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary