How to Prepare for
Young Leaders Program
While you are at Young Leaders, you will be unable to leave for shopping and other tasks. As such, you should come well prepared for the adventure that awaits.
You will receive polo-style uniform shirts, recreation t-shirt, backpack, lanyard, name tag, and other appropriate gear upon arrival. In addition, please bring the following items with you to Young Leaders:
- 3 pairs of black pants/slacks
- 8 Undershirts
- 8 pairs of underwear
- 8 pairs of socks (black recommended)
- 1 comfortable nice black shoes.
- Your shoes are important. They should be comfortable, yet wearable for lots of standing and walking.
- They should also look nice, as you will be wearing them to the Capitol and to meet dignitaries.
- 1 athletic shoes (no cleats).
- feminine hygiene products
- 1-2 Towels
- Bedding, EITHER sheets and blanket OR sleeping bag
- Shorts (optional, for physical training and athletics)
- Casual attire (for in the dorms after hours)
- Other personal accessories
During Young leaders, you are expected to wear the standard uniform at all times, except the following:
- After you are in your dorm at night
- Recreation period(s)
The standard uniform includes a shirt, lanyard, and name tag which are provided. It also includes the black pants, socks, shoes, belt etc as indicated in the Personal Gear section, above.
Do not bring a backpack, purse, bag, or satchel. You will be issued an official Backpack as part of the program. Unauthorized backpacks, purses, or other bags are not permitted.
For the recreation periods you may wear shorts, t-shirts, etc.
Do NOT Bring
- Weapons, simulated weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives, or other dangerous devices
- Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana (in any form), e-cigs (vaping) or illegal drugs
- Pornography or inappropriate reading materials
- A backpack, purse, briefcase, satchel, bag, etc. (You will use the official YL backpack).
- Check out all the rules here.
Violation of the Rules can and will result in you going home.
You will need cash or credit/debit cards for the following items:
- $20 for parking if you bring and plan to park your own automobile or motorcycle.
- Money to buy extra shirts, polos, hoodies, etc.
- Additional cash for snacks, drinks, clothing items etc. from the General Store.
- Registration fee after the cut-off deadline is non-refundable, except in specific circumstances, such as death or hospitalization.
- A small processing fee may be charged for both online and offline transactions.
- All medication, prescription or not, must be reported and/or checked in to the medical officer upon arrival.
- Backpacks, handbags, and other items are not needed at Young Leaders Program. We will provide you with a regulation backpack for use during the program. If you bring any of these items you will need to leave it in your room.
- All of the following items are the responsibility of the student. Theft, while very rare at Young leaders, is possible with the Open Campus policy at Willamette University. Exercise common sense and care when considering whether or not to bring the following items:
- Cell Phones (Note: All cell phones must be kept on SILENT and used only when appropriate and in accordance with the Cell Phone Policy).
- iPods and MP3 players
- iPads or other tablet computers
No effort will be made to locate lost or stolen items. You assume all risk by bringing expensive equipment to Young leaders.
How to Prepare for Young Leaders Program