How to Prepare for
Young Leaders Program
While you are at Young Leaders, you will be unable to leave for shopping and other tasks. As such, you should come well prepared for the adventure that awaits.
You will receive polo-style uniform shirts, recreation t-shirt, backpack, lanyard, name tag, and other appropriate gear upon arrival. In addition, please bring the following items with you to Young Leaders:
(Note: we provide uniform shirts.)
- 3-4 pairs of any combination of pants/slacks/shorts/skirts in khaki (brown)
- “Cargo style” are fine!
- Similar to these (shorts) or these (pants) or these (skirt) in brown/khaki
- Check out Good Will for great deals!
- NO leggings, sweats, spandex, or other similar clothing.
- 6-7 undershirts
- 6-7 pairs of underwear
- 6-7 pairs of socks (black recommended)
- 1-2 pairs of comfortable black shoes.
- Your shoes are important. They should be comfortable, yet wearable for lots of standing and walking.
- They should also look nice, as you will be wearing them to the Capitol and to meet dignitaries.
- No Cleats.
- Personal toiletries
- Feminine hygiene products
- 1-2 Towels
- Bedding (EITHER sheets and blankets OR sleeping bag)
- Shorts (for physical training and athletics)
- Casual attire (for in the dorms after hours)
- Sweats, pajamas or other evening attire as the bathhouse may be a short walk from your cabin.
- Other personal accessories
During Young leaders, you are expected to wear the standard uniform at all times, except during the following situations:
- After you are in your dorm at night
- Recreation period(s)
The standard uniform includes a shirt, lanyard, and name tag which are provided. It also includes the khaki/tan pants/shorts/skirt, socks, shoes, belt, etc. as indicated in the Personal Gear section, above.
You will be issued an official backpack as part of the program. Unauthorized backpacks, purses, or other bags are not permitted during the program. You may bring one to and from camp to carry your belongings here and then back home.
For the recreation periods you may wear shorts, t-shirts, etc.
DO NOT BRING:
- Weapons, simulated weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives, or any other dangerous devices.
- Drugs or Alcohol of any kind except prescription or approved OTC medications, including (but limited to) tobacco (in any form), marijuana (in any form), e-cigs (vaping) or illegal drugs.
- Pets, except for trained and registered support animals as required by law. Please declare any such animal in the Accommodations section of the application or inform the Superintendent. Animal waste and behavior are the responsibility of the student/owner.
- Simple Rule to Remember: if it isn’t allowed at school, it isn’t allowed at Young Leaders.
Please check out all the rules here.
Important Note: There is only one consequence for breaking the rules at YL… and that is going home. Please don’t risk it.
You will need cash or credit/debit cards for the following items:
- If you drive a car and intend to park it the cost is $20 for the week. If your parents drop you off there is no charge.
- Money to buy extra shirts, polos, hoodies, etc.
- Additional cash for snacks, drinks, clothing items etc. from the General Store
- Registration fee after the cut-off deadline is non-refundable, except in specific circumstances, such as death or hospitalization
Note that a small processing fee may be charged for both online and offline transactions.
- All medication, prescription or not, must be reported and/or checked in to the medical officer upon arrival.
- Also, while you may bring a backpack, purse, bag, etc. please note that they are not allowed during the program and will have to be left in your cabin. All students will use the official YL backpack during the week.
- You are welcome and encouraged to bring the following items, however they are the responsibility of the student. Theft, while very rare at Young leaders, is possible.
- Cell Phones (Note: All cell phones must be kept on SILENT and used only when appropriate and in accordance with the Cell Phone Policy).
- iPods and MP3 players
- iPads or other tablet computers
You assume all risk by bringing expensive equipment to Young Leaders Program.
How to Prepare for Young Leaders Program