BRENTWOOD HALF MARATHON
TERMS & CONDITIONS for 2024
Event Rules & Guidelines
The following event rules and guidelines are intended to ensure the safety of all participants and to be compliant with applicable UK Athletics regulations for participant performance records and event liability.
All entry fees are non-refundable unless a request is made within 7 days of making the entry and the event organiser retains the right to refuse entry to anyone declaring false information on their entry form, not making the required payment, or otherwise failing to meet the stated entry requirements.
- An email address is required for all entries and all correspondence will be via email. A separate email address for each participant is preferred but not essential.
- Each entrant is automatically signed up to the event newsletter which will include important event information. Entrants can opt out at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or unsubscribing at the bottom of the newsletter. This action is not advised as you will not receive important event information.
- To register for the Brentwood Half Marathon you must be 17 years of age or older on event day. All entries for runners under the age of 18 on event day must be approved by a parent or guardian.
- Runners who enter the Half Marathon as UKA Affiliated and receive the £2 discount MUST be currently registered on the official England Athletics database. Runners who enter incorrect Registration Numbers will not be entered into the event and will forfeit their entry fee.
- Each participant must agree to the Terms & Conditions before participating in the event.
- All participants take part at their own risk.
- Registrants must be able to complete the full distance, start line to finish line, within the event time requirement. For the half marathon this is 3 hours (15 minute/mile pace). This means the course will close at 15 minute/mile pace, after which, no times will be available.
- The event time requirement and age minimum apply to all forms of entry and event participation.
- All participants must note details of any health problems or medication on the on-line entry form and the reverse side of their race number.
- By taking part, all participants confirm that they are happy for their names and any footage or photographs taken during their participation to be used to publicise any future events organised by the event Organisers.
- Transfers between runners are permitted but must be done through the official entry website within the deadline established for entries and transfers. Failure to use the official transfer facility will result in disqualification.
- It is the responsibility of the original entrant to ensure the Race Pack is handed to the transferee. No duplicates will be issued.
- All entry fees are non-refundable for any reason and may not be deferred toward a future event. Registration closure will be 6 days before the event or earlier if event participation reaches the established capacity.
- No responsibility will be accepted for lost, damaged, illegible, delayed or mislaid entries.
- Customers have the right to cancel any entry made over the internet providing it is done within 7 days of the original entry date. Consumer Contract Regulations 2014
- EVENT DAY
- Participants must follow instructions as given from all event officials including race staff, volunteers, medical personnel, security officers and city officials throughout the duration of the event.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event. This means, for example, that urinating or defecating anywhere on or near the course shall be strictly prohibited except in toilet facilities. Anyone violating this rule of conduct shall be disqualified from the event and will be asked to leave the course.
- Every participant shall be provided with an event bib number, which shall be conspicuously worn on the front, during the event. The event bib number is to be worn as issued. No participant shall be permitted to participate in the event without the appropriate bib number.
- Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, Nordic sticks, rollerblades, unauthorized bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted on the course.
- The half marathon course will remain secured until the 15 minute/mile pace. The Sweep Vehicle will operate at 15 minute/mile pace. If you are passed by the sweep vehicle your status reverts back to that of a pedestrian and you are expected to use the pavement if you decide to continue. We strongly advise you against continuing and we will ask you to join the sweep vehicle. If you do continue, we will be unable to guarantee that road closures, marshals and drinks stations will be in place. Before starting the race, please give careful consideration to your ability to complete the course in the allotted time.
- THE START
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognized starting times.
- All participants must be positioned behind the starting line when starting.
- COURSE MONITORING
- Any participant who refuses to obey the directions of the event official, city official or course marshal, or who conducts himself/herself in an unsportsmanlike manner, or who is offensive by action or language to officials, volunteers, participants or spectators may be disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in the event, at the discretion of race officials.
- Any participant who has been found by a course marshal, event official or surveillance equipment to have gained an unfair advantage by intentionally shortening the route of the race ("cutting the course") shall be immediately disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in the, at the discretion of race officials.
- Any person who participates in the event without a current official event bib number or timing device or a bib or chip not officially assigned to him/her is subject to removal and disqualification from future events.
- No persons are authorized to be on the course unless they are registered participants. Therefore, no person shall be allowed to accompany a participant if he/she is not registered in the event, nor shall any participant be allowed, without the permission of the event management, to receive assistance or refreshment from anyone during the progress of the event. Any person not properly displaying an authorized and issued bib number shall be directed to leave the course.
- A hands-on medical examination during the progress of an event by officially designated medical personnel shall not be considered assistance and will not result in disqualification if participant is deemed medically fit. If a participant becomes ill during or after the Event and/or receives medical attention or treatment either from event medical staff, or any doctor or hospital, they must authorise such persons to provide details (including details of medical treatment) to the Race Director of the Brentwood Half Marathon or others authorised by him.
- PARTICIPANT SAFETY
- The use of wheeled devices by participants or any other person authorized to be on the course shall be strictly limited to authorized course marshals on bicycles. Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, rollerblades, unauthorised bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted.
- In accordance with UK Athletics recommendations, MP3 players, smart phones or other devices plugged into the ear are banned whilst running for reasons of health & safety, both yours and other competitors. When you wear such a device you are unable to hear other competitors, cars, bicycles or marshal’s instructions. Bone conducting headphones that do not cover the ears, are permitted.
- Participants are responsible for their recognition and understanding of event signage, symbols and colour relating to participant maps, facilities and direction.
- Medical personnel authorized by the event to do so may examine any participant who appears in distress. If in the sole opinion of authorized medical personnel, it is in the best interest of the participant's health and welfare, medical personnel may remove the participant from the event.
- Participants must retire at once from race if ordered to do so by a member of the event’s official staff, official medical staff, or any governmental authority, including fire and police officers.
- Participants are responsible and assume liability for any, and all medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participation in the event, including but not limited to ambulance transport, hospital stays, physician and pharmaceutical goods and services.
- Event officials reserve the right to delay, cancel or suspend the race due to inclement weather in accordance with Emergency Protocol on severe emergencies and/or inclement weather. Section 10 covers actions related to the cancellation policy.
- RESULT TIMING
- All participants are assigned a chip timing device - this is embedded into your running number.
- Clock time (gun time) is the official time for establishing race position and awards. The official times shall be recorded from the start of the race by the starting gun to the point where the participant crosses the finish line. Times shall be rounded to the next highest second.
- Individual times for participants will be provided by the electronic timing device (chip or net time) from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
- Participants must wear their assigned timing device continuously from start line to finish line, to receive an accurate finish time.
- Participant chip or net times greater than the event time requirement (3 hrs for half marathon) will not be recognized as official.
- Participants found to be wearing two or more timing devices during the race will be disqualified and their results will not be recorded.
- Participants with missing timing device times at official checkpoints will be reviewed and may be disqualified.
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognized starting time in order to register an official course completion time
- Any individual requesting a waiver of any of these rules from the event shall submit a written request no less than 30 days prior to the event date specifying the nature of and reasons for the request.
- AMENDMENTS / RESERVATIONS / ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Event officials reserve the right, to modify, supplement or waive all or part of the event rules.
- Participants shall be bound by any modification or supplement of the event rules published prior to the event.
- Failure to follow these event rules, as may be amended, will result in immediate disqualification and removal from official results.
- The Brentwood Half Marathon follows, and participants are subject to, the rules specified by UK Athletics.
- POSTPONEMENT OR CANCELLATION BY THE RACE ORGANISER
- The Race Organiser reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to cancel, delay or postpone the Race due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances outside of its reasonable control including, without limitation, adverse weather conditions, war, pandemic, civil or political unrest, terrorism or as a result of instructions from the local or national authorities or emergency services. In such cases the Race Organiser will endeavour to inform participants as soon as reasonably practicable using suitable means of notice including e-mail, text message, event social media, event Website, and radio broadcasts.
- Should the Race have to be cancelled by the Race Organiser, due to circumstances outside our control, entrants may be offered either;
- Transfer of your entry, without charge, to a Virtual Event to be completed within 4 weeks of the original Event date, via a registration platform to be provided by the Race Organiser, including publication of official finishing time and receipt by post of any finisher medal, or
- Transfer of your entry, without charge, to a new rescheduled Event date, or
- Refund of your entry fee, subject to;
- Completion of an on-line refund request form, and
- Deduction of the booking fee charged by our registration provider, and
- In the event of cancellation due to circumstances outside our control for which the Race Organiser is able to obtain insurance, including, without limitation; adverse weather conditions, war, pandemic, civil or political unrest, terrorism or as a result of instructions from the local authority or emergency services, the balance of your entry fee will be refunded, or
- In the event of cancellation due to circumstances outside our control for which the Race Organiser is unable to obtain insurance, such as communicable disease (including Coronavirus), the balance of your entry fee will be refunded less a deduction to cover all incurred and committed costs at the time of cancellation.
- Refunds will be paid by digital transfer to the original payment card used to purchase your entry.
- As an alternative you will be given the option to donate any refund due, to the Brentwood Half Marathon Charity Fund, to be used by local charities within the Brentwood area.
- Where the Race has to be cancelled, delayed or postponed in accordance with clause 10.a) the Race Organiser shall not be liable for any inconvenience, expenses, costs, losses or damages suffered by the participants (including any travel or accommodation costs), and, in any event, the amount of any claim will be limited to the refund of entry fees.
- The Race Organiser will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under these Terms that is caused by circumstances outside of its reasonable control.
- The Race Organiser reserves the right to refuse or cancel applications, to alter the date of the Race, the Route or Race Timetable, or Race arrangements. No refund can be given if the Race has to be changed due to circumstances outside the Race Organiser’s control.
- MERCHANDISING RETURNS POLICY
- If for any reason you are not satisfied with your merchandise you may return it within 15 days for exchange or refund providing the goods are unused and have all original tags. We are unable to accept back any goods that have been worn or laundered unless they are faulty. Postage charged at the time of sale is non-refundable. Any return postage is covered by the customer.
- Please contact us by e-mails on email@example.com to obtain return address information. Please include a short note stating why you are returning the item. If you want a different size, please include your return address.
Entrants should adhere to any relevant Covid-19 safety measures advised by Government, UK Athletics or the Race Organisers, applicable at the time of the event.
I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by the laws and rules of UK Athletics. I declare that I will not compete in the race unless I am medically fit on the day of the race and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers, sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event. I also hereby give my permission to the event organisers to use my name, quotes, video and photographic likeness for marketing and promotional purposes. I also understand that entry fees are non-refundable. I also agree terms and conditions before I will run in the event.
Last Update: 30th April 2023