SMITH VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT #89
School Closure and Delay Procedure
To: All Staff and Families
From: Laili Komenda
Re: School Closures & Delays
Date: September 27, 2019
Declaring a School Closure or Two Hour Late Start:
The Principal/Superintendent or assigned designee, communicates to the County Superintendent of any school closure. The County Superintendent handles the media contacts for all school districts in Flathead County.
When Kalispell Public Schools determines a closure is necessary, typically Smith Valley will also close. However, we do have the option of staying open. Watch the County Superintendent of Schools website to confirm which schools are closed.
Smith Valley School may close when Kalispell does not. Our conditions and location, reasons and criteria are not always going to be the same as Kalispell Public Schools.
- If it’s determined to have a Two Hour Late Start, parents should NOT drop students off until 10:30 am.
- We will send out a call/email/text message with mass communication by voice and email informing our students’ families and staff of school closure or two hour late start no later than 6:00 am, unless an emergency is declared after that time.
- For staff: While staff will get an automated call, we may also implement a phone tree as a backup to ensure notification reaches everyone.
- If at all possible, school phone message will be changed to: “School has been cancelled for today, or School will be operating on a Two Hour Late Start, due to weather related reasons.
- The following Essential Staff report to work sites assuming they can safely travel to work and are not impacted by road closures.
- District Secretary or designee
- Maintenance/Custodial staff
Emergency Road Conditions
- If there are emergency road closures issued by the Montana Department of Transportation then no staff report to work until the closures have been lifted in their area.
- If there are emergency road travel advisories issued by the Montana Department of Transportation then only essential staff report to work unless other arrangements have been made with appropriate supervisor.
- Staff make-up day(s) for employees not indicated as essential staff or able to work will be designated later on the calendar.
Decisions on student make-up days will be discussed by the Board of Trustees at the next regular board meeting.