Gateway Regional High School
HS Concert Band
The High School Band is an elective, one year class, designed to provide a continued growth of the musical skills from their middle school experience. The class is open to all 9th through 12th grade students who wish to participate in an instrumental experience. There are two important objectives. First, the aspects of good playing and musicianship are continued. Second, an emphasis is placed upon active and responsible group participation.
Course Expectations and Assessments
Students will receive a grade on the report card each marking period. The grade is based on:
1. Playing Tests. Students will play excerpts from the music they have studied. Evaluation will be based on accurate notes, rhythms. There will be some testing that is done as a section as well as individual. (Primary Assessment)
2. Performance Requirement. Students are required to participate in three concerts per year - the Winter Concert, the music festival and the Spring Concert. Attendance at the concerts is worth a test grade of 100. Absence from a concert will result in a test grade of 0, unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, which will require a letter from a parent, guardian, or doctor to be excused. If a student misses a concert, they will have the opportunity to make up that grade by writing a paper. (Primary Assessment)
3. Musicianship Activities - Students will complete worksheets in class on various musicianship subjects. (Secondary Assessment)
4. Musicianship Testing - Written tests on elements of musicianship such as rhythm, scales, and notation. (Primary Assessment)
5. Active and positive class performance. This includes attendance at rehearsals, active playing at all times, no disruptive behavior, having your own music, and efforts to play correctly. (Secondary Assessment)
Students will be expected to come to band class prepared and practiced. Band class is for rehearsing purposes. This means that all individual parts are learned elsewhere. This allows for a smooth rehearsal process and effective use of rehearsal time. If home practice is not possible, students may use one of my three lesson periods during the day.
Required and Recommended Materials
I have a designated lesson period during 3rd period and my room is available 5th and 8th period for practice or extra help.
Classroom Behavioral Expectations and Rewards/Consequences