Published using Google Docs
Q&A from PowerPoint
Updated automatically every 5 minutes

 Regulation Q&A, July 20, 2021        

Hosted by: PEI Counselling Association Regulation Committee

What is Regulation?

Regulation is when the provincial government grants certain rights and responsibilities to a profession through legislation, in exchange for the profession regulating its members, through the creation of a regulatory body. Regulation exists for the public interest.

The regulatory body  is called a “College”.

Regulatory “Colleges” are not schools. Professionals register to be part of it.

What is the purpose of a regulatory body, or College?

How do Colleges operate?

Colleges are directed by councils, consisting of professionals, as well as, members of the public who represent the public’s interests as a healthcare consumer. Council members ensure the regulations are being followed.

What is the Regulated Health Professions Act of PEI?

PEI regulates multiple health professionals under this provincial legislative act, including the soon to be College of Counselling Therapy of PEI.

This will provide title protection for counselling therapists.

A draft of our regulations were emailed to PEICA members in June, 2021 by PEICA President

What is title protection?

The pending College of Counselling Therapy of PEI  (CCT-PEI) has asked to legally protect Counselling Therapist and CT.

After proclamation, only professionals registered with the CCT-PEI are allowed to use the term “Counselling Therapist” or “CT”

Who will be on the first council of CCT PEI?

Counselling therapists interested in being on the first council completed an application form in the fall, and four have been confirmed, along with two members of the public.

Why are counselling therapists pursuing regulation?

Regulation is in the public’s interest, for public safety.

Regulation also has benefits for practitioners, such as raising the professions status, increased employment opportunities, and the greater possibility of access to third-party billing.

It should be noted that regulation does not guarantee these benefits.

It’s the role of professional associations (PEICA) to advocate with insurance companies and employers for these benefits.

Colleges and Associations are separate entities. What is the difference?


Focus: The practitioner - advocates for the profession; provides ongoing professional learning opportunities and other events/opportunities for members; provides cost-effective liability insurance; conducts research and development

THE COLLEGE: The College of Counselling Therapy of PEI

Focus: The public -  to protect the public from potential harm.

What is the process to join the College?

The College’s website will host the  electronic registration system. (site under development)

Initially, any practicing CT in PEI with approved designations will be “deemed registrants” (join automatically).  

New registrants can also apply, as of the opening date.

What are the counselling associations and designations being recognized for the transition application route?

Counselling Associations and Designations




1. Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists of Canada




2. Canadian Art Therapy Association


3. Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy


4. Canadian Association for Spiritual Care



5. Canadian Association of Music Therapists


6. Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association


7. Canadian Professional Counselling Association



8. International Expressive Arts Therapy Association


9. North American Drama Therapy Association


10. Professional Association of Christian Counsellors and Psychotherapists


* The registration of a person with one of these associations and designation expires 90 days after the date this section comes into force.

Parts of the College Register

Three parts:

  1. General register
  2. Provisional register
  3. Special register

Deemed registrants will be part of the general register.

Provisional: Accruing hours to meet general registration requirements, must be supervised

Special: Short-term registrants

First Renewal and Second Renewal

We hope the College will be established August 1, 2021.

Three months later (Nov. 1/21), at first renewal, only the criminal record check requirement, and $2 million in liability insurance are due, along with the registration fee.  

Registrants must declare to adhere to regulations, Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.

At second renewal (Nov 1/22) one year later, all requirements must be met, including:

Currency requirements - education or 750 hours in past three years or refresher program

Continuing Education Credits( number of PD hours required, TBD), including successful completion of  jurisprudence exam. This  is a test on the relevant regulatory law in PEI.

Questions Submitted by PEICA Members

These are our best answers to date. This is a work in progress.

What would be considered substantially equivalent to a Master's Degree Program in counselling therapy?

Counselling therapists will need to meet a level of ‘education and training’ that the Council finds acceptable; this wording is to allow for flexibility.

Can you share more about continuing education and currency?

The minimum continuing education credits will be determined by the Council, as a policy. Currency requirements are in the regulations, section 12 and include meeting requirements either through education, 750 hours within three years, or completing refresher program).

What will the application process look like?

The College will operate paper-less, everything submitted through the new website. You will be able to print your registration certification.

If I am a member of CCPA or one of the other associations listed in the regulations, will I automatically qualify?

Yes, you will be a deemed registrant, IF you have the designation listed. Your registration will need to be renewed by Nov 1, 2021 (or three months from the opening).

What if I join one of the identified counselling associations and designations after August 1, can I still apply through the transition route?

No. As stated in the Regulations under Part 4 - General section 16, a person who, immediately before the date this section comes into force, is a member in good standing of an association set out in first column of the table below and holds a designation awarded by the association set out in the second column of the table below, is deemed, on and after the date this section comes into force, to be registered in the general registration part of the register.

What happens after the 90 day? What expires?

After the 90 days, you must complete the online form, show proof of liability insurance, meet requirements for your criminal record check, and pay your fee, otherwise your registration expires.

In section 6 (3) of the Regulations,  what qualifications must a counselling therapist in a supervisory role need to have, other than to be in the general registration?

Supervisors of provisional registrants must be approved by the Council. Additional policy may be created on this.

How does being a PEICA member help me become regulated?

Membership in PEICA is not one of the approved designations. PEICA is the group working with the government to make regulation happen.  By being a member, you stay informed and learn how to join the College. PEICA is not CCT-PEI. Professionals usually belong to both their regulatory body, and their professional association/society.

How will I identify if I’m a member of the College and an association? 

You will list your name with your regulated title first, then your association.

Jay Jones M.A., C.T., C.C.C.

Where do we get our liability insurance?

You can purchase liability insurance from a variety of providers. It must be $2 million.

For example, CCPA offers  discounts on it as benefits to their members.

I’m a school counsellor and I want to join the College, do I need liability insurance?

PEITF employees have five million dollars of liability insurance. For further information, refer to 15:01 of your union agreement.

Am I still meant to stay a member of the national association once I join the CCT of PEI?


It is up to you. There are benefits to memberships in associations:

What are we able to adopt from CCPA?

The CCPA Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.

What fees are associated with regulation?


The college fees have not yet been determined. They will be based on covering our expenses, which include: hiring a registrar, competency testing services, membership systems management, website hosting, document creation, and more.We are working to provide these services as inexpensively as possible, to keep fees as low as possible. There will be a significant difference between PEICA annual fee of $30 and the CCT-PEI fee, approximately $400.

Will school counsellors be required to be regulated?


No, we do not anticipate the Public Schools Branch  will make this a requirement, and the title “School Counsellor” is expected to remain. Private schools determine their own hiring standards.

Will PEI follow NB and NS models to regulate counsellors on PEI?

The regulations will be similar, but CCT-PEI must follow PEI Legislation, the Regulated Health Professions Act. Provinces aim to be similar, to allow for ease of movement of professionals.

Similar entry to practice and other requirements  (CEC, currency hours, liability insurance, etc.)

What does provisional registration mean? Can I still be a counsellor?

Provisional status is granted when you do not meet the full requirement for practical experience directly with clients (450 hours), but are in the process of meeting the requirements. You can still use the title “Counselling Therapist” but must specify that you are part of the provisional register.

Jay Jones, M.Ed., Counselling Therapist - Provisional

Jay Jones, M.Ed., CT - Provisional

How do I join the College if I graduate with my master's in counselling between Aug 1 - Nov 1 and have all my supervision hours?

If you do not have one of the designations recognized through the transitional route, you must apply online starting any date after the College opens, and complete the COMPASS exam. It is offered twice a year, and there is a fee to write the exam.

Is there a designation, CT provisional? CP special?

CT provisional exists, but a registrant on the special register identifies as a counselling therapist.

Do I have to join the College?

If you want to call yourself a “counselling therapist”, you must join the College. This regulation change means there is now a law in place to determine who can use this title. Using the title without being registered is against the law.

What is the Compass exam?

A national exam on the accepted competencies of a counselling therapist.  

How much does it cost to write the Compass exam?

 $545 + HST fees are subject to change.

How do I prepare for the Compass exam? 

Additional information sessions and email updates specific to the Compass exam will be offered through PEICA.

Will there be an event to celebrate the opening of the College?

PEICA plans to host an in-person event in the fall, more to come!

How do I get additional information about regulation?

Check and keep your membership up to date with your associations. Remember that PEICA is not one of the recognized associations, but we are keeping our members informed, along with those associations. Email updates will be sent to PEICA members as the College opens, and to remind you of next steps. You can also email questions to Kylah Hennessey at