BSidesNola Code of Conduct
- Be nice, don’t be mean. Live and let live.
- Disruption of individuals or the event is frowned upon.
- If you become rude, angry, or belligerent, we will eject you from the conference.
- The BSidesNola Organizers can take whatever actions we deem necessary to resolve an incident.
- Rules are subject to arbitrary change, addition, and interpretation without notice of any kind if deemed necessary by BSidesNola Organizers.
The BSidesNola code of conduct supports equitable access to information. To ensure effective and equitable enforcement of this code of conduct, the BSidesNola Organizers will enforce the code of conduct consistently and in a manner that does not reinforce or increase marginalization or oppression of any group based on age, race, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance, income, or body type/size.
Our values are the following.
- Knowledge about information security is helpful to all individuals, organizations, and the world. We support everyone’s ability to access that information at our conference.
- Respect of individuals at the conference.
- Safety of individuals at the conference.
Our code of conduct is designed to accomplish several goals.
- Clearly outline the expectations the Organizers have of attendees.
- Clearly outline the expectations attendees can have of their time at the conference.
- Clearly outline the expectations attendees can have of the Organizers.
- Equitable access to the conference
- Harmony at the conference
Code of Conduct
1 Basic Principle
The basic principle of our Code of Conduct is harmony.
Our code of conduct is based on the reduction or elimination of disruption to presenters, individual attendees, sponsors, support staff, venue, and the operations of the conference.
We’re all here to have a good time and learn something.
2 Attendees Must
- Their job is hard enough: going through the RFP process, creating a presentation, tempting the demo gods, etc. Don’t make it more difficult by interrupting, asking too many questions (approach them after), talking loudly, or any other disruptive act.
- Even if your sworn enemy attends, let it go. Consider this holy ground, Continental grounds, the DMZ, or whatever your pop culture reference of choice is for places where interpersonal clashes are not tolerated.
- The BSidesNola Organizers have gone through a lot of effort, money, and worry to create this event. Please help us build it up, not tear it down.
- Venues talk to each other. Trashing a venue space or otherwise acting like a fool will turn you into ‘that person’ who got BSidesNola relocated to the hotel on the wrong side of the river.
3 Attendees May
- Report any problems they have with another attendee to the BSidesNola Organizers. See “Reporting”, below.
- Expect a harassment-free conference experience, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion.
- Request accommodations to receive an equitable experience at the conference.
4 Attendees Cannot
- Express sexual language or imagery at any conference venue, including talks.
- Disrupt a presenter during their talk.
- Harass conference participants in any form. Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to:
- Gender identity and expression
- Sexual orientation
- Physical appearance
- Body size
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Questioning appropriate use of facilities by queer or non-conforming individuals
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviours
BSidesNola Organizers reserve the right to request any action be taken by any attendee to reduce or eliminate disruption at the event.
Rules are subject to arbitrary change, addition, and interpretation without notice of any kind if deemed necessary by BSidesNola Organizers.
BSidesNola has reporting procedures for handling a violation of this code of conduct.
You can report a problem or seek assistance in one of the following ways.
- Find and engage a BSidesNola Organizer in person. At least one will be on-site from check-in time to the end of the closing remarks.
- Call or text +1 (225) 308-1553. This phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of the event.
- Police/medical emergency: 911
- Police non-emergency: +1 (504) 821-2222
- Medical non-emergency (urgent care): +1 (504) 609-3833 (Ochsner French Quarter)
- 24/7 telephone medical advice from nurses: +1 (504) 842-3155 (Ochsner On Call)
- 24 hour sexual assault counseling hotline: +1 (800) 656-4673 or https://online.rainn.org
- United Cabs (reputable local taxi service): +1 (504) 522-9771 or +1 (504) 524-9606
When taking a report, the Organizers will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other Organizers to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we’ll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won’t be asked to confront anyone, and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you in feeling safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.