Statewide Call, August 14, 2019
- Introductions - start section by 6:05-6:10
- Name, Pronouns, What community they’re calling from?
- Check-In question:
- Local updates (Priority)
- Asking the group 2 questions:
- What local things are you working on?
- What local issues are happening / being experienced in your community?
- Note for facilitator: IF they bring up experiencing retaliation from landlord: Email John, the WLIHA member organizer, to document these: email@example.com
- If they want to get in touch to document other instances, email Kiki at firstname.lastname@example.org
- RAP SUMMIT (Priority)
- RAP Summit dates & location have been chosen!
- Will be in Vancouver on October 11 & 12 (1.5 days)
- October 11 - pre-summit mixer/dinner and gathering (about 3 hours long in the evening)
- October 12 - summit
- RAP summit planning committee & steering committee will plan the agenda for both
- Registration is OFFICIALLY OPEN! You can find the registration form under “UPCOMING Events” on our website residentactionproject.org
- Transportation & lodging support available
- Listening Sessions: those are in the works!
- Link to dates: it’s on the Upcoming Events tab on the RAP website (residentactionproject.org)
- Upcoming Sessions - please RSVP if you plan to attend so we can get a head count and make sure to make enough copies of everything!
Bridgeview Resource Center (505 Omaha Way, Vancouver, WA 98661)
Ren organizing with Vancouver crew
10 am-12 pm
Norm Dicks Government Building (WSU Room) Bremerton, WA
Renee Kimball & Kristina Sawyckyj
*looking at the end of August*
TBD RAP lead
- The events will be added to the RAP calendar (on Upcoming Events tab on the RAP website residentactionproject.org)
- Get in touch w/ Kiki to iron out details for listening sessions (email@example.com )
- Legislative District Lead opportunity
- Want to take your advocacy to the next level in your district? Looking for a new leadership role? Consider becoming a Legislative District Lead with the Housing Alliance!
- What Legislative District Leads do:
- Email, call, and/or meet with state lawmakers to urge action on legislation;
- Build relationships with lawmakers and serve as a trusted source of information;
- Serve as a leader in your district and share advocacy opportunities with your neighbors, families, friends, coworkers, etc.
- Serve as a district lead at Housing and Homelessness Advocacy Day in early 2020, exact date coming soon!
- You will also receive support throughout the year from the Housing Alliance to ensure your success! Here is the Role Description.
- If you are interested and want to learn more details about the role, please fill out a brief Interest Form. (we can post this on our facebook page or you can message us to get the link) and John Stovall, Member Organizer, with the Housing Alliance, will follow up with you! Questions in the meantime? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1406 implementation
- No new update, just that more conversations on this are happening at the listening sessions!
- And you can see the webinar on the WLIHA website (resources > webinars tab); https://wliha.org
- THANK YOU!!!
- Nicholas from Seattle got to be a part of a conference call for direct service providers every month and he thinks it is an under-utilized opportunity (only four people on the call)
- It is called a Policy Advisor Committee and will have an open meeting on the 22nd
- Mr. B and Mindy (I think) have a meeting with Adam Smith on Housing & Homelessness for veterans
- Curtis would like support (even if only in spirit) for a Mt Vernon City Council Ordinance that would lift restrictions that threaten Safe Parking
- Main pushback is the Fire Marshall and his concerns, but Curtis knows he has the facts ready to push back
- In Seattle, Real Change is doing a campaign for Public Toilets. There is a study going on in California on people with convictions getting a job supervising and maintaining these public toilets. It has been going on for the past few years and has been showing tremendous results in San Francisco.
- In King County there is apparently something like 600 public restrooms not accounted for. So they don’t exist? Lisa said she would send some more info
- Lisa said the Centralia session is supposed to happen August 26th it’s just the location that’s TBD. Seems like something worth following up on.
- Legislative District Lead Opportunity
- Shelly in the 46th wants to co-lead with Adam
- Lisa is pushing real hard to get something going in Centralia
- Bellingham is going for the tax
- Skagit County is scheduling a public hearing on this