Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meeting
12.20.18 at 5 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 01.28.19
- Call to Order - 5 pm
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 5:05 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Jon Orris, IHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: No community members present.
- Executive session: CRS 24-6-402(4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of charter contract.
- Recorded on Tamia’s IPhone.
- At 5:05 pm Tamia moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to CRS 24-6-402(4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of charter contract. Motion seconded. Kelli stipulated that all current E/M S BOD members, Jon Orris, IHOS, and Urulu Yazzie, FD be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend. No discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Melissa moved to exit out of Executive Session at 6:02 pm. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Roll Call - 6 pm: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasure; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Jon Orris, IHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD; Patty Likes, Caitlin Munroe, Kristin Croker
Community Members on the Sign-in Sheet: Margaret Schmalz, Haley Randall, Jennifer Munoz, Wilton Jones, Rebecca Milholland, Angie Seeley, Angel Morris, Vee Bauer-Landes
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Stacey moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum
- A mother attended Gallery Night and was excited to learn of her student’s progress academically since transferring to the Kiva.
- A parent thanked the teachers for all they are doing. The Gallery Night was a reminder to her of how important our students and school are.
- Gallery Night was a success with great community representation from RE-1, the Mayor, Crow Canyon staff, a writer from The Journal, and many others.
- Staff Comments
- Caitlin - Gallery night was a great event and demonstrated what our students are truly capable of accomplishing.
- Reports / Discussions:
- BOD President
- Update: Status of Charter Contract
- Reviewed the Notice of Material Breach from RE-1 and an addition letter of concern regarding ESS.
- After December 21, 2018 we will no longer have an ESS Provider. The District requires that we have a solution by January 11, 2019.
- We need to set realistic benchmarks in order to make sure that we can provide our students with the services that they need.
- We emphasize that this breach is the result of a series of several unfortunate events. We are not blaming any one person or situation. We fully respect all staff, parents, and students in their decisions.
- Benchmarks to be met by January 7, 2019 at 5 pm. If any one of these benchmarks are not met, we will be working on closure of our school with the District.
- ESS Services - provide a plan with an ESS Provider commitment.
- Enrollment - minimum of 65 Completed District Open Enrollment Forms for 2019-2020.
- Facility - plan for a secured alternative location for March 1, 2019. The plan will include at least one (1) viable location that meets all legal requirements with reasonable knowledge that it will be available by March 1, 2019.
- Cayce moved to accept the benchmarks as outlined in VII.a.ii. by January 7, 2019 at 5 pm. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Plans moving forward - we need full community support!
- ESS Services - Cayce Hamerschlag
- Reach out to Cayce if you are interested in or have information or skills to support meeting this benchmark - email@example.com.
- Enrollment - Jordan Meyers
- Reach out to Jordan if you are interested in or have information or skills to support meeting this benchmark - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facility - Stacey Weyand
- Reach out to Stacey if you are interested in or have information or skills to support meeting this benchmark - email@example.com.
- Preparation for closure, should it come - Kelli
- Interim Head of School - Jon
- Update on School
- Gallery Night for Upper El and Middle School - it was a great turnout with a lot of community support. The Journal was present and wrote up a nice article about the event.
- Board of Directors
- Discussion of Notice of Material Breach from RE-1
- Previously discussed.
- Financial Committee - Cayce
- Compliance Assurances
- Cayce moved to approve the Compliance Assurances for 2017-2018 Fiscal Year to be sent to CDE. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter or Community
- Kiva Community Update to go out this evening.
- Community Member Forum
- Note: the Board allowed community members to be actively involved throughout the meeting. No additional comments were made.
- New Business
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – BOD President
- Upcoming Events
- Winter Break: December 24, 2018 - January 4, 2019
- Next BOD meeting(s)
- E/M S Regular Board Meeting - 5:30 pm (Work Session), 7 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, January 28, 2019 at Children’s House
- E/M S Special Board Meeting - TBD
- Adjournment: Cayce moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:59 pm.
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary