ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-06-18 17:00 UTC (11:00 AM MDT and 19:00 CEST)

Where

https://zoom.us/j/521773868

Preliminary agenda and minutes

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Shannon, Pier Luigi, Bill, Siri Jodha, Allison, Paul Thomson, Øystein
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2019-05-28
  1. Approved.
  1. Review of action items
  1. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete
  1. Ruth has a presentation with a bit of a summary of the matrix 
  2. Bill also had a presentation at that IARPC meeting; direct link to PDF.
  3. Ruth actually is working on the matrix to move it forward
  1. Peter/Øystein to review results of the previous step and add anything from their work.
  1. Still pending.
  1. Peter to talk to Mark/Peter Fox re students to do this (modelling/visualisation the matrix from 4b) work
  1. Preliminary discussions, but nothing concrete yet.
  2. Still pending, but part of broader discussion and related to a proposal in preparation.
  1. Mark to contact US LTER Info Mgrs about the Polar terms questionnaire
  1. Email requesting input sent to all US LTER Info Mgrs on 2/19.
  2. direct discussion with Info Mgrs from Toolik (LTER ARC) and Beaufort Lagoon
  3. use of WorMS, ITIS for taxonomy, and USA LTER Control Vocab; nothing Arctic specific or strongly cryospheric
  1. Øystein will inform WMO and ask for contributions
  1. Done, but no feedback received so far. Probably due to ongoing time consuming preparations for congress for both WIS and WIGOS.
  1. Ruth/Øystein to look at the vocabulary repositories for ANDS
  1. Ruth has looked at this. Keeping this open.
  1. Pier Luigi will add some text to the introduction to semantics for the TPDF to establish context for participants not into the technical details.
  1. Done
  1. Peter to update the preliminary material describing the training session on semantics during TPDF to identify it as training and guided hackathon.
  1. New task in last meeting.
  1. Øystein to push review of the TPDF semantic training and guided hackathon information material. Should be reviewed by slack announcements and full draft available early June for posting in TPDF website (can be amended later).
  1. New task in last meeting.
  2. The information material was updated.
  3. Keeping task open until the material is agreed.
  1. Pier Luigi to prepare background information for PANGAEA on existing vocabularies and related activities covering the cryosphere that can be used in the context of MOSAIC data management. Øystein will contribute.
  1. New task in last meeting.
  2. Pier Luigi has had a meeting with Frank Oliver Gloeckner from Pangaea and has also emailed Pangaea about an MoU on MOSAIC semantics. He will keep this group informed.
  3. This task is completed.
  1. Pier Luigi to keep this group informed on the discussions with PANGAEA on MOSAIC vocabularies.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Shannon and Paul to check the information material on the training session on semantics for the Third Polar Data Forum.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Shannon to follow up on the Polar Semantic Questionnaire with the Polar Libraries Colloquy.
  1. New task in this meeting.
  1. Third Polar Data Forum (TPDF)
  1. Discussion of one pager on semantics.
  1. An updated and cleaned version of the document was circulated shortly before the meeting. Nobody had had time to look into it in detail.
  1. Following the plan to open for registration and abstract submission by end of June (see below), it is important to complete this document as soon as possible.
  2. Shannon and Paul will look into the document after this meeting and give feedback.
  1. Further discussions on TPDF
  1. Øystein informed from the steering group meeting that the ambition is to open registration and abstract submission by the end of June with a deadline probably mid to end of August and evaluation completed within approximately 3 weeks after the deadline (following the setup for the second forum).
  2. Organisation of workshops/training sessions was discussed and it was agreed that it would be good to avoid timing conflicts between federated search and semantics training.
  3. Concerning the specifics of polar data management it was agreed that it is important to address polar specific issues e.g. in semantics during the workshop. Local efforts must bridge to one another through interoperability technology (semantics is a good first step). Isolated silos should be avoided and polar data systems should be linked with those of other domains.
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire
  1. Results are available in https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  2. No further responses are recorded since the last meeting.
  3. Shannon sent it to Polar Libraries Colloquy but no responses are received from this community so far. Shannon will follow up on this in meetings in the coming week.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Øystein informed on GCW discussion during METEXPO leading up to the WMO congress last week. During the METEXPO discussions with WIGOS and WIS people were undertaken, and in particular status of WIGOS metadata and codes.wmo.int was discussed. Concerning the latter, issues on how to use tools for development of controlled vocabularies was specifically discussed.
  2. Pier Luigi is going to a UNESCO meeting for ODIS in August, as a prelude to soon-to-be initiated tasks for an international working group on data science for the UNESCO Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (the “Decade”). Semantics will be the focus of PLB’s contribution, and the cryosemantics work done here and the Polar Semantics WG itself will be featured in the context of ocean science.
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1700 UTC.
  2. Next meeting will be August 20, at 11 am MDT = 1700 UTC = 19:00 CEST.
  3. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.