Strategy Three: Use The Best Tools & Resources To Advance Learning
Objective 3.1: Personal Technology Devices for Learners
Executive Sponsors: Ron Brown, Director of Instructional Technology; Dave Yancey, Director of Operational Technology; Sarah Hanchey, Director of Curriculum & Instruction
Three-Year Benchmark Objectives, Actions, Barriers and Outcomes
- Expanded 1:1 tablet program with the addition of two classrooms and full implementation at 6th grade at Orchard Middle School.
- Hired Elementary Level Instructional Technology Facilitator to assist 1:1 classrooms and improve classroom technology integration at all elementary schools.
- Expand Instructional support and training for technology:
- Incorporate Library Media Specialists.
- Incorporate Instructional Coaches where possible.
- 21st Century Learning Tours.
- Certified and classified staff technology training.
- Expand 1:1 tablet program to include additional elementary (Mission View and Newbery) and middle school classes (OMS, FMS, PIO)
- Pass technology capital levy to support; upgraded classroom hardware, network infrastructure, 1:1 student and staff devices, additional support staff, additional training staff, specialized technology equipment, and time for staff training.
- Expand 1:1 tablet program to include additional class at Foothills, the entire 6th grade at Pioneer, additional new staff at 6th grade at Orchard, and one teacher at Wenatchee High Schools
- Add iPad Ninja Program at Pioneer
- Upgrade all additional staff hardware and tools
- Expand 1:1 tablet program to entire 6th grade at Foothills
- Reallocate devices at Orchard to create full building 1:1 program (6th-7th iPads, 8th Chromebooks)
- Upgrade oldest iPads in the 1:1 program
- Reconvene Technology Committee to create three year technology plan
What action steps or strategies need to be explored or developed to reach benchmarks?
- Reconvene Technology Committee to create our long term plan and technology levy proposal.
- Continue piloting classroom tools and devices.
- Identify staff for pilots.
- Identify appropriate grade levels for 1:1 device and additional pilots.
- Expand our definition of support to incorporate and collaborate with Learning and Teaching and Operational Technology (Instructional Coaches, Librarians, TSS, TRT, etc).
- Hire Instructional Technology Facilitator for high schools.
- Hire Operational Technology Data Cabling Specialist to assist in cabling additions of all non-levy facility expansion.
- Model and promote our standard blended learning tools/software.
- Provide district time for technology training.
What obstacles or barriers need to be addressed?
- Workload of current staff for support and training.
- Budget constraints without additional levy funding.
- Staff mindset regarding the use of technology in the classroom.
- Dedicated time for training.
Who needs to be involved in the planning discussion and action steps for this objective?
- Technology Planning Committee.
- Instructional Technology.
- Operational Technology.
- Learning and Teaching.
- Career and Technical Education.
- Principals and Leadership Team.