Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meeting
01.08.19 at Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
7 pm - Executive Session and 7:30 pm - Open Meeting
BOD Approved on 01.28.19
- Call to Order - 7 pm
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Jon Orris, IHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: No community members present.
- Executive session: CRS 24-6-402(4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of charter contract.
- Recorded on Tamia’s IPhone.
- At 7:02 pm Tamia moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to CRS 24-6-402(4)(e) to determine positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiation and to instruct negotiators, specifically to have a board-only discussion of charter contract. Motion seconded. Kelli stipulated that all current E/M S BOD members, Jon Orris, IHOS, and Urulu Yazzie, FD be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend. No discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Tamia moved to exit out of Executive Session at 7:38 pm. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Roll Call - 7:30 pm: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasure; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Jon Orris, IHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD; Patty Smith
Community Members: Haley Randall, Ondrea Whited, Angela Adams, Megan Salmuski, Margaret Schmalz, Angie Seeley, Rebecca Milholland, Angel Morris, Joel Cosper, Cassidy Parks, Jesse Jeremiah
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Melissa moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Staff Comments:
- Ms. Patty said that Ms. Caitlin had planned on attending, but was unable to due to illness.
- Community Member Forum:
- Several community members thanked the Board and Jon for all of their efforts.
- Reports / Discussions:
- Update - Benchmarks to be met by January 7, 2019 at 5 pm. If any one of these benchmarks are not met, we will be working on closure of our school with the District.
- Cayce: ESS Services - provide a plan with an ESS Provider commitment.
- Benchmark has been met. Cassy Whitehead and Tegan Lewis will provide the ESS services. An MOU will be created and Tom VanBuskirk with SJBOCES will review and oversee these services.
- Jordan: Enrollment - minimum of 65 Completed District Open Enrollment Forms for 2019-2020.
- Benchmark has been met. We have 67 completed forms and potentially more to come.
- Stacey: Facility - plan for a secured alternative location for March 1, 2019. The plan will include at least one (1) viable location that meets all legal requirements with reasonable knowledge that it will be available by March 1, 2019.
- Several options were presented. Stacey will continue to follow-up with each location.
- It will not be possible to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for the Mildread location by February 12, 2019.
- The banks continue to work closely with the CKBC.
- Next steps based on benchmarks
- All benchmarks were met and therefore we will not move towards closing the school at this time.
- Next benchmarks:
- Jordan: Enrollment
- Continue to collect District Open Enrollment Forms with a goal of 80 FTE by January 26, 2019.
- Note: Kindergarten students will only count at .58.
- Ensure that proper presentation and professionalism is being used when dealing with these forms.
- Stacey: Building
- Walk through potential buildings this week is schedules allow.
- Submit a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for the Sherwood Property by Friday, January 11, 2019.
- $300 fee required.
- Submit a new lease for Mildred to the Board by February 1, 2019.
- BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter or Community
- Kelli: submit an update to Morgan for the Kiva Konnect.
- Community Member Forum
- How can donations be received? There is a “Donate” tab on our website.
- Any media representing the school needs to be approved by Jon.
- How long can we stay at Crow Canyon? We will likely need to move out, or a least move classrooms, prior to spring. Details are still being worked out.
- What is the process of how we communicate with District? Kelli and Jon will meet with the District tomorrow, February 9, 2019, to provide them an update. The District’s next Board meeting is February 12, 2019, all are invited to attend. At this point, our Board has not received any further communication from the District. As the Board receives communication from the District, we will share that with our community.
- Angela Adams is willing to volunteer in a Montessori tutoring role.
- Jon spoke of the academics and testing. Testing will be available on paper.
- Expressed concern with Cassy moving out of the classroom and into the ESS position. Jon spoke to the concern and mentioned that the Finance Committee would discuss further options for the classroom. Ms. Patty said that she is willing to assist in the classroom when available.
- The next Finance Committee meeting will be on Thursday at 5:30 pm at Crow Canyon.
- We welcome Jenny Munoz as our new Administrative Assistant. Jenny may be able to take on additional roles.
- A parent suggested that Jon write a letter to the editor - this is a school worth saving!
- Discussion of private school. Our contract will not allow us to switch over to a private school. The Founding Committee did explore the option of a private school, but felt it more viable to go with a public, charter school.
- Reminder, although we are a non-traditional, school of choice, we are still a public school.
- Playground discussion. We recognize the need and benefits of a playground, but are not able to focus on this at this time.
- New Business
- Melissa: write an article for The Journal by Friday, January 11, 2019.
- Cayce requested a correction on the 10.30.18 Board Minutes concerning The Harry Potter Family Night fundraiser.
- Tamia: prepare amendment to the Board Minutes for 10.30.18.
- The 10.30.18 Board Minutes state: “The Harry Potter Family Night fundraiser was a huge success! The PTO presented the Board with a check for $2200 in funds raised. Estimates were around 300 people and they sold out of almost everything. Lots of community support from non-Kiva families and previous Kiva families.
- The PTO requests that $400 of the funds be used to update the school’s website.”
- Suggested amendment to the 10.30.18 Board Minutes: As documented on the submitted Fundraising Request Form, The Harry Potter Family Night was not a PTO fundraiser, but rather a separate group of volunteers that organized and ran this event for CKMS. The raised funds are for “anything the school needs - a 3 to 1 split with CH.”
- Future Agenda Item: Approval of the amended 10.30.18 Board Minutes.
- All: Submit ideas for the Board Retreat to Tamia or Cayce.
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – BOD President
- Review Benchmarks
- Approval of amended 10.30.18 Board Minutes.
- Upcoming Events
- Lower El Gallery Night - January 10, 2019 from 3:30 to 5:30 pm
- Finance Committee Meeting - Thursday, January 10 at 5:30 pm, Crow Canyon
- Next BOD meeting(s)
- E/M S Regular Board Meeting - 5:30 pm (Work Session), 7 pm (Regular Meeting) on Monday, January 28, 2019 at Children’s House
- E/M S Board Retreat - January 26, 2019
- Adjournment: Stacey moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:48 pm.
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary