Black River Independent School Committee

Date/Time: 03/28/2019 @ 6:30pm

Location: Black River High School Middle School Library

Minutes

I. Call to Order-Called to order by John @ 6:38pm

  1. Roll Call-Joann Wilson, John Bannon, Pat Pullinen, Uli Donohue, Marissa Selleck, Craig Huttvater; Melissa Perrino & Heather Tucker @ 6:41pm
  2. Approval of Agenda: Additions & Deletions-Add 5. To III. Business, A. Updates: Fundraising via UD.  Motion by JW, 2nd by UD; Passed

II. Approval of Minutes

  1. 03/21/2019-Motion by JW, 2nd by UD; Passed

III. Business

  1. Updates

1. Student Outreach via JB-Still transition period, but students are starting to discuss possibilities.  The current 11th and 12th grades will have graduated; 10th graders will be oldest group still here here for official transition (will be seniors by then); will also need to put more outreach to current 9th graders and below; will involve a lot of 1:1 conversations with students and families to encourage engagement/feedback; key dialogue will include discussing opportunities that will encourage the students/families to stay (one main opportunity will include individualizing for the student).

*There is a separate lottery for 6th, 7th, & 8th graders currently.  Due date to submit application is thought to be April 19th; it is also limited school transfer, so only options are Mill River or Green Mountain; also submission for school choice as BR closes as public school will most likely be in February, 2020.

*Engagement will include garnering elementary school sentiments, sports/sub-committee for athletics, & gathering students’ interests at the School Fair on Thursday, May 2nd.

        *Follow Up: Curriculum models to JW to review

2. Ralph Pace Information via MS-Ralph suggested we reach out to Georgia Brehm at the museum for accountant references; however, possible accountant that is a reference from both the lawyer and MP; JB noted there is Vermont community foundation that provides assistance to nonprofits for financials.  HT also noted we are a community in an area labeled “challenged” and applicable for government grants in the VT, NH, ME areas.  

        *Follow up: Quick request to accountant reference to be of service when

        available for BRISC

3. Sub Committee Mid Tier Update via MS-Document drafted in Google Docs; includes “Contact,” “Local Address,” “Mailing Address,” “Phone #,” “Email,” and “Member Associate” (also includes fundraising event hosted & if contact attended); suggestion made to add column for “Additional Info,” will do.

        *Follow Up: Add “Additional Info”

4. Marketing Update via JW-Met with the sign shop contact & shared some of our previous documents with her to review for reference, also explained we’d need some swag (ie: bracelets, stickers, etc).  Contact suggested rackcards, postcards, &/or brochures.  Ballpark figure for a couple hundred is $450, but it all depends on specifics.  Vail is not yet set up with vendors yet so timeline/availability is not determined yet; but contact could still potential work with us; Payment details to follow once specifics are determined.  In the meantime, since we do not have a location secured yet just stick to what we know for swag, ie: name for items such as bracelets, stickers, pens, pencils, etc.  Keep it simple & clear.  Also explained would need at least 2 weeks prior to order.  Finally, contact might also have a PR contact we can reach out to.  Question raised by MP if we could get the digital rights from sign shop contact for files to print ourselves?  

        *Follow Up: JW will reach out to sign shop contact to work out details.

5. Fundraising via UD-Received a check from “Network for Good,” an official nonprofit donation affiliate.  The check was a combination from 2 separate but anonymous donors.  Furthermore, they provide grants we can apply for; UD submitted one, will update when time comes.  In the meantime, we can also reach out to the Okemo Valley Ludlow Women’s Club via Darlene Remy.

        *Follow Up: HT will reach out to Darlene.

Pat also suggested we reach out to the “If you were from Ludlow…” Facebook group-many community members, past & present & alumni.

        B. Discussion

        1. Prep for April Select Board Meeting-HT confirmed with the next Select Board

        Meeting Agenda that they will be discussing the possible fate of the BR building;

        Not sure if it will just be a discussion or if an action will come of it.  Pat also

        noted we need to request the field and back 40 acres.  MS clarified that any

        money from sale/rental will be collected by the TRSU but that the SU then gives

        100% of it to the LMHUUSD; (50% MH & 50% Ludlow). Pat also suggested

        possibility of Town 1% tax increase which would help pay for the building (“share

        the costs”); benefits for Town to acquire building and 40 acres; the sooner it can

        done the better-offer support for decision.

                *Follow Up: Post about Select Board Meeting building discussion for

                their upcoming meeting.

        2. 501(c)3 Legwork-Concern/question regarding “running/operating a school.”  

        Need to follow up with an accountant on this point; for now, UD referring to it as

“facilitating to open a school” rather than just “opening a school.”  Furthermore,

it will need to        be done for Black River Academy’s account; do we wait or upgrade

BRISC and then again for BRA?  BRA donation might also look more conducive,

adds credibility.  The question falls under the “Operations” section in the

application, and the fiscal year does end in June.

        *Follow up with accountant and lawyer

IV. Public Comment-N/A

V. Suggested Items for Next Meeting

Mid-Tier Planning Discussion

School Fair & Curriculum Planning Discussion

Marketing Update via JW

Okemo Valley Women’s Group/Darlene Remy Update via HT

Lawyer/Accountant Update via UD

VI. Adjournment-Adjourned by JB @ 7:50pm