Setting up and assisting for Nasal intubation
- These are usually oro-facial surgeries (Typically OR5) such as mandibular and maxillary osteotomies
- Inquire from anesthesia provider which ET tube sizes they will need prior to the case. May need Nasal RAE tubes.
- Make sure the anesthesia machine is stocked with a working handle, blades, Magill’s forceps, Surgilube, lidocaine jelly, and nasal trumpets.
- Bring a bottle of warm sterile water or saline to the OR to soften up the ET tube prior to the start of the case.
- If “Afrin” spray is not already in the room, bring one from pharmacy to the OR.
- When the patient is brought into the OR, be available at the bedside to assist the anesthesia provider as needed. This may include the placement of monitors, pre-oxygenation, or assisting with equipment as needed during intubation.
- Remove excess supplies and equipment after induction and successful intubation.