Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – April 11, 2018
Keith Loutzenhiser Tom Vanderputten Lee Troyer John Hollister Tom Cripe
Leonard Gustin Court Walker Nick Christofeno Bob Roth Don Fiwek Wayne Andrews
The minutes from the last meeting (March 14, 2018) were approved.
- On March 23 Mike caught 1 brown, On March 30 Mike caught 3 browns on small streamers
- Don’t forget new license and trout stamp. Old license expires March 31st
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report. The total summary for all accounts
was $ 27,904.89
- LECTU received an additional donation from DR. Burns totaling $ 50.
- Mail-Ins to date at 220 tickets returned. $2,220 Total.
- Tickets sold at other events will bring the total near $ 4,000.
- The final reconciliation will be after the May 5th outing.
- The Spring Newsletter has been sent via email to members.
- The newsletter highlights the annual spring outing on May 5th with George Daniel.
- List of work days and the date of the casting class are included in the newsletter.
New County Park
- Mike has spoken with County Attorney regarding the park. The transition of the deed is not proceeding as smoothly as anticipated, but the transition to county property will happen.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
LECTU Fly Tying Dates
- The date of April 21st has been cancelled due to conflict with Tie-A-Thon.
- Keith still needs nymphs to load in boxes.
Down by the River
- This is a recently published (Dave Weiner) children’s book. LECTU (Steve Mack) has purchased two to be donated to both the Goshen and Middlebury libraries. These will include the LECTU decal.
- An autographed copy has been purchased for a prize at the May Outing.
Summer Work Days
- March 31 to cut logs was cancelled (trail not as bad as first thought), June 16 (cut trail)
- The following days for stream restoration: July 14 & 28, August 4 & 18, September 15
- This will be Phase III of the Meadow Project.
- LECTU has invited both the Chicago Chapter and Central Indiana Chapter of TU.
- Steve Mack has prepared a flyer for distribution at the May 5th outing.
- Wilbur Yoder has requested we work on debris under his old bridge.
Annual Spring Outing
- Outing is Saturday May 5th. Set-Up will begin at 6:00am.
- Keith confirmed arrangements for tent, chairs, tables, PA system and stage.
- Tom Enright sent Mike a letter authorizing tent use in the park.
- Keith has arranged the Hampton Inn for George Daniels on Friday May 4th.
- John Hollister will serve as cook with Dion Scott and Rick Weidow assisting.
- Mike will follow-up with Lee when things are finalized for silent auction list.
- Lee will contact Jim Lothery regarding a carving for the auction.
- Keith will provide a tumbler for the Adopt-A-Trout drawing.
- Need everyone to solicit kids prizes from local tackle shops.
- Responsibilities for the other Outing activities were reviewed. In addition to outing activities Court will contact Louie Stout and the Elkhart Truth to publish an announcement.
- Mike will be in contact via email and phone prior to the outing to finalize plans.
- Mike has given check to Chris Miller and LECTU needs to move quickly to have the trailer ready for this years’ work days.
- Keith will arrange title and license
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after LECTU has the trailer
- Keith will meet with Chris Miller to get specs needed to apply for title and license.
- Mike wants to purchase some new equipment (chainsaw, log roller, etc.)
- The committee would like LECTU and Dar Deegan to do a presentation.
- The next meeting is Monday May 7th. Nick and Leonard will attend.
- Advanced and Intermediate fly casting class will be held on June 9th for $ 15 per participant.
- Venue is undetermined until we finalize the class size.
- Leonard will attempt to schedule a meeting with Larry Koza from the state regarding the stocking of brown trout in the Little Elkhart. The meeting will include Mike and Lee.
- Lee has continued to maintain contact with Richard Kesler of Seven Pines Hatchery. We are investigating the possibility of 1,000 brown trout (8” size) for either May or September of 2019. In addition we would request that Seven Pines holdover another 1,000 trout for stocking May 2020. These brown trout would then be in the 12’’ range.
Next Meeting - May 9th, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary