General Body Meeting

9/24/17

9:00PM, Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering  
  2. Administrator Meetings
  1. UA Report
  1. Welcome New Student and Engineering Representatives
  2. Retreat Participation
  3. PSG Steering
  4. Associate Membership Applications
  5. Communications Team
  6. Educational Moment of the Week
  7. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Contingency Request
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Website Bios
  2. UA Headshots
  1. Executive Business
  1. Support for Students Affected by DACA Repeal Resolution
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. University Policy on Test Banks
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  2. Completion Reports
  3. Discussion Papers
  1. Social Justice
  1. Project Updates
  1. Leave of Absence Policy
  1. Completion Reports
  2. Discussion Papers
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  2. Completion Reports
  3. Discussion Papers
  1. External Seats
  1. CAPS Open House
  1. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Meetings:
  1. UA Cabinet will be meeting with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) this upcoming Friday (9/29) to discuss issues pertaining to international students here at Penn.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. UA Steering
  1. History         
  1. UA Steering is a representative forum that includes about 40 student groups aimed at discussing the most pressing and important issues facing students on campus. Administrators are brought in to facilitate the discussion and clarify policy questions that students may have. UA Steering also does have the power to pass resolutions, and put items on the UA agenda. These meetings are held bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 7:30-8:30. This is a off-record, closed-door meeting. However, UA members are special observers and may attend the meetings.
  1. Upcoming Meeting
  1. There will be UA Steering this Tuesday, September 26 from 8:30-9:30 PM in Huntsman F55.  
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. This past Friday, Cabinet met with Karu Kozuma, the Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs, to clarify University policy and intent regarding monitoring events on and off campus. Among the things discussed were the rationale for some of the events being shut down, the costs for event observers and the possibility of reducing costs, the necessity of alcohol monitors, effects of parties on the community, the process of registering parties, and the misconceptions and repercussions of students being cited. He mentioned that they are meeting with leaders of the organizations whose events were shut down to better understand what occurred. In addition, there was a general consensus that the UA could play an important role of communicating information between students and administration.

UA Report

  1. Welcome New Student and Engineering Representatives
  1. Let’s give a warm welcome to our 8 wonderful New Student Representatives: Jude Dartey, Maher Abdel Samad, Mercedes Owens, Sravya Alla, Sahitya Mandalapu, Will Castner, Kevin Zhou, and Ben May. Let’s also welcome Nick Parkes as our newest Engineering Representative.
  1. Retreat Participation
  1. Please fill out the retreat participation form that was emailed on Thursday evening. I will send it again following this meeting. An agenda for retreat will be sent out before Fall Break.
  1. PSG Steering
  1. Michelle and I met with PSG Steering on Sunday, September 17th. PSG Steering is a body made up of the heads of the six PSG branches. It is a closed meeting held roughly every other week that is chaired by the NEC Vice Chair for Education, Carly Ragozzino.
  1. Associate Membership Applications
  1. Applications for Associate Membership were sent out in an all-school email on September 20 as well as personally to the runners-up of the New Student Election. If you have any friends that are interested in Associate Membership, they can apply at tinyurl.com/AssociateMember2017 by September 28th at 11:59pm. Since there aren’t sufficient resources to accommodate them on retreat, we will make a concerted effort to make them feel included in the body.
  1. Communication Team
  1. Applications for the UA Communications Team will open at the conclusion of this GBM and remain open until next Friday, September 29 at 11:59PM. Comm Team is a great way to get more involved in the UA and collaborate with other members on the body. The link to apply will be sent out after the meeting.
  1. Educational Moment of the Week
  1. On the Lobbyist, there are listed the 5 major goals of the UA. What are these charges that broadly define the UA?
  1. Member of the Week.
  1. This week’s member of the week is…

Treasurer’s Report

  1.  Contingency Request
  1. Wednesday September 20th, Exec has an emergency contingency vote on $30 for the event:  Panel on Homelessness, Sex Work, and Incarceration. The $30 went towards funding honorarium. Exec approved it 5-0.

Secretary’s Report

  1. Website Bios
  1. All UA members have a Bio about themselves and goals for the UA. The Freshman must send their bio to secretary@pennua.org by Thursday, September 28th at midnight. I will send out a template following the meeting, of what it entails. The bios are posted at pennua.org It should only take you a few minutes to write.
  1. UA Headshots
  1. As a new initiative, the UA will be getting headshots for all members in the coming weeks. These photos will be posted on the website alongside the Bios. If you know any photographers please let us know.


Executive Business


Support for Students Affected by DACA Repeal Resolution

Authored by: Jay Shah, UA Vice President

CONTEXT

DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, has impacted many students on our campus. Under DACA, undocumented immigrants who arrived to the United States as children are protected against deportation by law. Many Penn students are in this category and were protected by DACA. However, their protection is now uncertain due to the recent announcement by the Trump administration to repeal DACA. Penn student organizations have been working closely with the administration to ensure that the needs of impacted students are met. The administration confirmed setting up a legal clinic to help students with DACA renewal forms and is looking into housing and meals for University breaks.

However, more support could be provided to affected students. Many corporate companies such as Apple and peer institutions such as Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, and Dartmouth have pledged financial assistance to those students affected. Specifically, Harvard has announced the following changes: hiring of a full-time attorney to provide legal services to undocumented members, establishing a 24/7 hotline for those who have questions, providing a list of immigration lawyers willing to consider pro bono cases, and creating a central site established for this specific situation. Princeton has announced that it will fund attorney consultations for DACA students, faculty, and staff with an immigration law firm. Furthermore, they have pledged legal support for students attempting to attain other statuses. Columbia University has arranged for pro bono legal representation with a lawyer on immigration-related issues for undocumented and DACA students at no cost. The Office of Visa and Immigration Service at Dartmouth has provided for discounted rates with a law firm as well.

As such, we believe that Penn can do more to ensure the safety of the affected students. Through this resolution, the Undergraduate Assembly officially stands with the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly (GAPSA) in advocating for the announcement of providing pro bono representation for any student in need of assistance and affected by this situation.

ENACTMENT

 

The Undergraduate Assembly resolves to

 

  1. Affirm and sign the statement written by Graduate and Professional Student Assembly intended to expand the support provided to students affected by the DACA repeal (The statement is attached below).
  2. Commend the senior administration and University at large for their efforts in supporting DACA students thus far.
  3. Commit to continue working with the administration and other student organizations in discussing how the UA can best support students and peers.


Academic Initiatives


Discussion Papers

University Policy on Test Banks

Authored by: Kevin Myers

 

Background:

 

Over the years, many clubs, performing groups, Greek organizations, and student groups have compiled test banks and academic archives. These test banks contain material that ranges from prior exams to cheat sheets. At their best, these test banks provide an incredibly useful way for students to prepare for exams. At their worst, they put those without test-bank access at a serious disadvantage.

 

Penn’s current policy with regard to test banks is nebulous. The two relevant clauses in the Code of Academic Integrity are as follows:

 

Attempting to gain unauthorized advantage over fellow students in an academic exercise [constitutes a punishable offense]. Example: gaining or providing unauthorized access to examination materials…”

 

“Using or attempting to use unauthorized assistance, material, or study aids in examinations or other academic work [constitutes a punishable offense]”

 

From the surface, these policies appear to clean up the issue. However, the definitions of “unauthorized assistance” and “unauthorized advantage” are murky. While it is clear that if a professor states that the use of outside materials or prior exams is prohibited, then this would constitute a violation. However, in situations where the professor does not make such a statement, then it is not clear whether or not the use of test banks would be in violation of the Code of Academic Integrity.

 

During a meeting with the Office of Student Conduct, Abhishek Rao, Co-Chair of the University Honor Council, and I brought this issue up with the Office of Student Conduct. We were told that in the event that a student (who was in a class with an unspecified test bank policy) was charged with a violation related to a test bank, they would receive a punishment as requested by the professor. However, the OSC representative went on to say that if the student appealed the punishment, then they would almost certainly be found not in violation of the Code of Academic Integrity because the policy is unclear.

 

In conjunction with the University Honor Council, we are looking to start the process to make this policy clear and fair to students.

 

Discussion Questions:

 

1.     Should we aim to make a policy that explicitly allows the use of test banks unless otherwise prohibited by professors?

  1. This would essentially be a codification of the current practice. It would have the benefit of allowing students to operate with a greater understanding of the implications of their academic decisions.
  2.  Further, it might force professors to address this issue in their own classrooms if they view it as a problem.

2.     Or, should we aim to make a policy that explicitly disallows the use of test banks unless otherwise provided by professors?

  1. This would work to level the academic playing field for those without access to test banks.
  2.  However, it would be very difficult to enforce, drawing possible concerns about its efficacy as a policy.

Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities



Social Justice


Project Updates

Leave of Absence Policy

Authored By: Jordan Andrews

After hearing personal testimony from a friend who took a leave of absence, I was inspired to look into Student Intervention Services' standard operating procedures, as he cited miscommunication as a key hardship of his process. I also heard similar concerns from constituents at PSG info sessions throughout NSO and from the Penn Wellness Rep at UA Steering. I will be meeting with Rob Nelson, the Executive Director for Education and Academic Planning, and Karu Kozuma, the Associate Vice Provost of University Life next week to talk about how each school determines and manages leaves of absence. I will also be meeting with Takahide Wantanabe, a Case Manager for Student Intervention Services to go over SIS's role in the leave of absence process to determine how the UA can best support transparency.


Student Life



External Seats


CAPS Open House  

Authored By: Jay Shah

This past Monday, CAPS and Penn Wellness hosted a CAPS’ Open House for Student Leaders and Administrators. During this time, there was a presentation by Bill Alexander, the Director of CAPS, and Meeta Kumar, the Director of Outreach and Prevention. The presentation gave an overview of CAPS including the progress and changes made over the last several years.

The follow trends were shown during the presentation:

-Change in CAPS staff over the years

-Percentage of the student body treated per year

-Individual Counseling per year

-Number of Psychiatric Treatments

-Students Referred Out

The following changes were reiterated:

-PROTOcall Service

-There is staff situated at the graduate schools

-Extended weekday hours and weekend hours

-Creation of CAPS Facebook page

-Creation of Virtual Tour of CAPS

-Depression Screening: October 5

In addition, I had the chance to talk to Kathryn Dewitt, the chair of Penn Wellness, and CAPS staff who talked about the possibility of holding another Mental Health Town Hall.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  1. Max: This week is welcome week for the newly elected members to know each other. We have events throughout the week so we can bond together. Get cheesesteaks with Kyle Kevin and Brian.
  2. Max: Can you explain process on club recruitment process?
  3. Michelle: I sat on SAC which controlled club recruitment. We’ve been working with SAC to create some guidelines to reduce exclusivity. Trying to attach it to the activities fair. We will pilot during activities fair. We’ve worked with Ed. Guidelines have not been implemented yet, because some may not be fair for certain clubs
  4. Kevin: Are there any other punishment methods?
  5. Michelle: We are not looking into tying funding but focusing on activities fair.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Meetings
  1. Michelle; We will be meeting with AIS for international students
  2. George: Where would this space be?
  3. Michelle: They are still looking as of yet, but there are no ideas so far.
  4. Santosh: Is one of the things the international house
  5. Michelle: They are looking for a central location
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering  
  1. Jay: One of my responsibilities is to run UA forum. At this meeting we represent many hard hitting issues to address. Steering has the power to pass resolutions. All of you are able to attend from 7:30-8:30 in F55 Huntsman. We are looking into stressors of Penn.
  2. Kyle: Have been more collaborative
  3. Jay: We will break up into groups
  4. Ben: Can we look at groups in Steering
  5. Michael: yes at the lobbyist
  6. Simon: Are recent social policies discussed at the meeting,.
  7. Jay: I can bring it up
  8. Ben; Can we participate
  9. Jay: Yes, but can’t vote
  10. George: There is a SCUE table talk at the same time
  11. Julianne: You should go to the one at noon
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. Jay: Cabinet met with Karu to get an idea for the new social policies. We discussed event observers, cost on community, registering parties. We got clarification on that information. He also mentioned that they will meet with students regarding shut down parties
  2. Maria: What are the followups?
  3. Jay: Karu is meeting with administrators
  4. Maria: What is response to stories?
  5. Michelle: They took ownership. I am meeting with Val, Maureen Rush, and Dr. Winklestein
  6. Arjun: Do we know if the university has been changing some of its policies
  7. Brian: DPS and event observers didn’t walk around
  8. Elena: Has there been any talk of reinstating the task force?
  9. Jay: The UA is not the task force, but we will get a better idea after the meetings
  10. Elena: What consequences do people who throw parties face and it is shut down?
  11. Michelle: We are not an expert
  12. Natasha: If it is shut down, they will ask for Penn ID not for getting in trouble but to have a point person. If it is a citation you will be passed to honor council.
  13. Elena: Does there seem to be any insight into if university will make policy less strict
  14. Jay: I do not foresee them being changed.
  15. Max: I think one of the things that came out of this meeting, we are the people can spread the honest word to the student body. If something tragic happens, greek life will be shut down
  16. Samara: Did he address where this change come from?
  17. Brian: The student deaths
  18. Samara: Would it make it less safe?
  19. Max: He acknowledged it, but he did not provide much response to it
  20. Kyle: This whole reaction is more so about the other events of other colleges.
  21. Maria: When this first came up, I am curious if it affecting freshmen
  22. Will: My only thought, is that many deaths are a result of hazing. Is that anything that has been enacted by Penn?
  23. Julianne: We have restorative justice coming in January.
  24. Natasha: Administrators will be taught
  25. Jude: What gives university right to monitor events off campus
  26. Jay: At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if it happens on or off campus.
  27. Samara: The university owns most property
  28. Michelle: I am not sure if that is correct. I think it is more that you follow student conduct
  29. Kyle: Penn wants to adopt legal authority on itself rather than the students. You don’t want students liable for a death
  30. Maher: I think there is a lot of misinformation about these policies so many people are going further.
  31. Sravya: I think communication is important, because as freshmen we don’t have anything to compare this to
  32. Jordan: In terms of what the UA can do. We are considering a town hall so that we can understand the new policies better. We want administration to talk with all the students directly. We need something live can be beneficial
  33. Elena: There has been much misinformation even with upperclassmen. Hearing these perspectives has changed my mind a lot. It is ensuring safety for the students. I think that a town hall would be very beneficial
  34. Jay: How can we get this same information to the student body?
  35. Elena: I think that the DP article was well received because people learned a lot about it.  I think a DP article about purpose behind these policies
  36. Natasha: I did not love the DP article, but it did not provide any context. I do not think written words will be enough. I think something directly from voice of administrators. In a publication words can be misconstrued.
  37. Ben: People would cite facts from DP. A town hall meeting would be effective along with a summary
  38. Sean: If you plan on holding a town hall, do it at a reasonable time. If you go the DP route make it a letter from the UA
  39. Maria: Can we do a town hall?
  40. Jay: It is feasible, but last time it was not that great
  41. Michelle: Last year the town hall was held at 6:00 PM. Last year it was co-hosted by task force, UA and DP
  42. Maria: Even if it is just happening, it would be comforting
  43. Julianne: Collecting stories and sending a school wide email would be effective. Every student would read it
  44. Kyle: I think the town hall was useless last year because it was highly stressful. I think rationale sent to DP would be effective
  45. Elena: I did not imply that the article was positive. I think that a video could be a good idea. Nexos productions put together a good anti-hazing video. After a town-hall, it ends
  46. Ben: I think a video would be good. I think as freshmen this is a difficult topic, and it should be spread to freshmen as much as possible
  47. Max: I do not think town hall is best route. The message in palestra was unreasonable. If we could get meeting with IFC, karu and others
  48. Will: I don’t think a town hall would be that effective. Social media would be very effective and sharing a video
  49. Jordan: I am completely opposed to an email. An email would just say what the policies were and ask for more questions. Many students have individual instances that cannot be addressed by administrators. Video can be more widely spread and viewed. I think writing up letter to DP can be effective.
  50. Kevin: I would encourage you to push on that policy of student deaths. They should address hazing because it is a bit disingenuous
  51. Samara: I feel like it would be effective for them talking with those affected by the policy. I agree that many emails go unnoticed, but it can be skewed. I am disappointed that they have not responded to the off-campus response to these groups. I am nervous that something bad can happen off campus to students. As freshmen it can harm students
  52. Natasha: The deaths are for the bartenders
  53. Kevin: The students die because of hazing in universities
  54. Samara: I think by having bartenders this can push it to be dangerous.
  55. Sahitya: One mandatory freshmen session discussed the policy but it was not effective
  56. Kyle: I think students will be more willing to work with them if they know it is coming from a legitimate reason
  57. Maria: It wasn’t a response to OZ, but we need transparency
  58. Kyle: I think they are willing to work on that in the future
  59. Jason: I do not like the video idea, because it take very long time. This very much affects the freshmen, definitely use the RA network.
  60. Jay: I hope that was a little more helpful. Encourage you to talk to peers and figure out what is going on.
  1. UA Report
  1. Welcome New Student and Engineering Representatives
  1. Michael: Welcome Freshmen!
  2. Arjun: Justin resigned.
  3. Michael: We will approach person next up line, which in this case is Kevin.
  1. Retreat Participation
  1. Michael: I will send an email to ensure your participation in the retreat. Education section is mandatory
  2. Jason: Will there be separate section for budget training
  3. Michael: I like that and will consider it
  1. PSG Steering
  1. Michael: We meet every other week, to discuss what is going on during these events. We talked about updates. SCUE education week
  2. Michelle: We talked about DP communication, make sure you let Jordan know if you are contacted
  1. Associate Membership Applications
  1. Michael: We sent out the AMs applications, but if you have any friends let them know. You attend a mandatory committee meeting. A requirement of 1 GBM a semester.
  1. Communications Team
  1. Jordan: I have a team, to communicate with the DP and handle communication. Great way to get involved with the UA. Strongly encourage new members to apply to communication team. I will send out application to everyone
  2. Maher: Is comm team another part of the UA?
  3. Jordan: You will be in a committee and the communication team. It is very low time commitment.
  1. Educational Moment of the Week
  1. Michael: Five major goals of UA.
  2. Santosh: We lobby through administration
  3. George: We provide services
  4. Max: We allocate $2.4 million to student groups on campus
  5. Kev: We represent the voice of students to admins
  6. Natasha; We bring students together
  7. Michael: Take advantage that the UA is a diverse group of people
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Elena
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Contingency Request
  1. Sam: Exec had a vote on contingency request. The UA has 15,000 to 16,000 for funding. They come to the UA and ask for money.
  2. George:
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Website Bios
  1. All the UA members have website bios. So for the new members we need this. I will send out an email about this. The deadline is Thursday at midnight.
  1. UA Headshots
  1. This is something that I am trying to implement this year. This might be helpful for applications. It will occur within the next couple of weeks and Jason will take pics.
  1. Nile- What kind of camera?
  1. Jason- A good camera
  1. Sith- This will be indoors?
  1. Yes I think so. I think before the GBM is the most reasonable time.
  1. Maher- will is be next sunday?
  1. No
  1. Executive Business
  1. Support for Students Affected by DACA Repeal Resolution
  1. Jay: Quick background, DACA was a program instituted under the Obama administration to protect undocumented immigrants. Many Penn students are hoping that the needs of these students are met. Last Friday there was a legal clinic held. There are other things we could be doing, as compared to other universities. Harvard has hired a pro bono legal representation. With this statement it would show to we approve the values of the statements
  2. Nick: We are concerned for our students, the university has been positive in the policy.
  3. Akbar: University has been providing legal counseling but the counseling is only for the application form. Outside of that, if a DACA statement is arrested, there is no legal fund to help pay for their legal needs.
  4. Nick: The university has access to networks of access that are willing to represent students, and this commitment would provide need for them to reach out to these people
  5. Elena: Do you anticipate any push back on this policy
  6. Miles: The university keeps on reiterating that they provide legal services, but we have not discussed at Vice Provost level
  7. Sam: Has President Gutmann seen this already? Will this be the same letter?
  8. Nick: There are other organizations that have discussed this as a potential source of need.
  9. Jordan: Have you heard anything that tomorrow’s deadline will produce a result
  10. Miles: We have not
  11. Natasha: Are you asking for Penn to provide legal service, and where have other universities gotten the money?
  12. Akbar: We want the university to create a fund or for other structures
  13. Samara: Penn offered full support for travel ban, but given new policies released, will this apply to them
  14. Miles: We are not sure, we are all trying to figure out what is going on
  15. Nick: This looks like a policy that is being enacted
  16. Santosh: What is the distinction between the legal clinics and legal consultation?
  17. Akbar: Students under DACA protection have filed application, but deadline for renewal fee for application. The university will be for 450 fee. If students need legal help, we are not helping them go to court. We are asking for pot of money in case we need it.
  18. Nick: If policy is rescinded we need to address
  19. Maria: How many students are affected by this?
  20. Akbar: We do not have official numbers but probably around 60-70 members.
  21. Shaun: Caleb said, University to provide housing and food. Provide training for undocumented students; Careers services for students. Provide legal fund in case they come in contact with legal issues. It appears that Caleb agrees with this statement
  22. Jordan: Are you looking at any long term pro-bono project.
  23. Akbar: The transnational legal clinic is a class. Students take the course and represent asylum seekers. This clinic has been relied on by university. The university has three other clinics, but they do not have capacity to represent court.
  24. Sam: Who crafted letter, and who was consulted in crafting the letter?
  25. Nick: A group of students interested in the topic. Our goal is to assist the other organizations for this policy changes.
  26. Akbar: A group of students that realized we need more done
  27. Ben: Would we send a message to President Gutmann tonight?
  28. Michael: We would send a message tonight
  29. Ben: If she doesn’t respond by tomorrow, what would you do.
  30. Miles: If we don’t get a response within a week, we usually send a follow-up
  31. Jay: Based on precedent we have a good relationship with the university
  32. Nick: The university has been saying a lot of good things. We want to show that student body stands behind
  33. George: What happens if a student receives a deportation order and does not get pro-bono representation, what happens?
  34. Akbar: They do not get a public offender or they need a pro-bono lawyer.
  35. Nick: This is different from article 3 process
  36. Jude: Can you look at student’s financial status to understand how much the university will be funding
  37. Akbar: We are trying to get university to say they support a fund. We cannot necessarily know what it will entail until we are at the table.
  38. Elena: I think it is important to note that this isn’t infeasible because many peer institutions have vested support
  39. Natasha: I am very much in favor of this, but I think this final push by the students will encourage support
  40. Jordan: I agree with that, I think hearing from law students, this will make the university put their money where their mouth is.
  41. Maher: I think we should vote Pro for the resolution, because it benefits students from DACA and university.
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. University Policy on Test Banks
  1. Kevin: Test banks provide students an upper-hand. The university does not currently have a policy on this. This issue is not directly addressed by university. Office of student conduct would not entirely punish them. I want to work with UA and honor council. We can either allow them or not allow them. The honor council wants to codify default policy.
  2. Samara: It seems that all students have access to these test banks, so it should not be an issue. It encourages collaboration for students to be more prepared
  3. Kevin: In the econ department, they put out many exams, but somewhat go through cycles
  4. Kyle: This prevents students from learning, because people learn through practice without the solutions. There should be some approach
  5. Nile: I think it would be incredibly difficult to make students not sue test banks. Professors must change their exams.
  6. Max: I think that we should stick with the current policy and see what the departments think about using these policies.
  7. Kevin: Many of our issues could be solved if we could meet with professors, but we feel that wider policy could reach more people.
  8. Sean: There are many students not involved with groups. There is an issue that exists
  9. Maher: I think that disallowing test banks is impossible. I think that test banks provide advantage to other students. We could fill that gap that test banks assist.
  10. Kevin: One of the goals is to have department’s release reports
  11. George: Have people in AI discussed stories.
  12. Julianne: Some past exams during classes. There have been many instance of this happening
  13. Jason: Can we ask professors to make new exams. I feel like potential of tests being used can be brought up
  14. Julianne: As a TA, questions are reused to make sure they are fair.
  15. Kyle: I have been to many classes where the questions are like that
  16. Noah: There is no way to enforce these test bank policies
  17. Nile: How do you define a test bank?
  18. George: We all have penn emails, can’t Penn just look at it
  19. Delaney: Many groups have Penn emails
  20. Natasha: Who is responsible for these test banks is tough to determine
  21. Jordan: I think we should go with codifying and be more specific. You cannot talk to every professor. If certain professors are aware that they are using questions that can just have same answer, the professors should address it
  22. Kevin: These definitions are important, because the professor must say that it is an issue
  23. Jordan: The onus should be on the professor to say that, even if it is just a line on the agenda
  24. Ben: Do we have any examples of other universities?
  25. Kevin: We do not currently, because it is usually underground
  26. Sravya: Professor views on the topic?
  27. Kevin: That is the next step, and I will email the policy people and then it will be an outreach movement.
  28. Nick: Even if you don’t know have it you probably know someone who does. Responsibility is on the teachers.
  29. Sean: With econ 001 not all students have access to these exams and it must be addressed
  30. Julianne: Thank you Kevin, this is an important issue to discuss. The ultimate solution is to have a universal test bank for students
  31. Max: Creating universal test bank is good for students. As UA we can push resolutions to the administration. I think we should reach out to professors from every department. Many students learn by practicing with practice exams.
  32. George: Just because you know somebody does not mean they would give you access to the test bank
  33. Natasha: I think there should be an all school email. Students can report the test bank
  34. Sahitya: I do not think group should be punished
  35. Kevin: Do we think people would give up test banks
  36. Samara: Most likely people will ask friends for resources.
  37. Jason: No way in inhibiting task force
  38. Sean: You would only get a few test banks by having people release anonymously.
  39. Kevin: If there were half as many test banks that would be a good thing
  40. Max: Even if someone would report it, many people would store a local copy.
  41. Ben: I feel that if we do get 50% of test banks eliminated, we would get rid of less malicious groups. We would still have groups that are being harmful
  42. Kevin: We should not assume the worst groups of people.
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  2. Completion Reports
  3. Discussion Papers
  1. Social Justice
  1. Project Updates
  1. Leave of Absence Policy
  1. Jordan: I have a friend who took a leave of absence and was always in communication with him. I have heard much information about this from other groups. I am talking to departments if it is based on schools.
  2. Jason: Difference based on leave
  3. Jordan: yes there are many reasons people are on leave. It can be mental health or physical reasons. The university’s general policy is one year.
  4. Kathryn: I took leave of absence in Fall. I have done a lot of work on leave of absence. There are many reasons students take leaves of absence. It is same process for internships
  5. Jason: Financial aid?
  6. Kathryn: I am on my fourth year, and financial aid still covers. If you are on student health insurance, that is a consideration. Questbridge does not let you take a leave of absence. Active Minds and Penn Wellness  did have orientation for leave of absence students. SIS has both positive and negative applications. We’ve partnered with UA last year for survey
  7. Nick: I have friend who took leave of absence and he can’t get research position
  8. Kyle: UA created Penn Wellness years ago
  9. Max: I think this is an amazing thing to bring up. My friend who was on leave of absence would like to participate in transfer NSO. I set on FSAB and would love to sit and discuss this issue further.
  10. Noah: In the survey that Kathryn is talking about many students said they were uncomfortable with current policy
  11. Samara: When students are denied leave of absence is there some backup? They can take years for leave of absence
  12. Kathryn: When you take leave, many students take a year, and sometimes students do not come back within six months
  13. Sam: With financial aid you are eligible for eight semesters. Questbridge is not funded through Penn. Work study is for most students not
  14. Jason: I am in Duke 2020 groups and I’d recommend you looking at other colleges
  15. Noah: There are cases of students who have not been on leave.
  16. Max: Kathryn thank you for coming to the UA
  1. Completion Reports
  2. Discussion Papers
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  2. Completion Reports
  3. Discussion Papers
  1. External Seats
  1. CAPS Open House
  1. Jay: CAPS and Penn Wellness held open house about mental health. I am contacting Dr. Alexander to come to the UA Steering. Some changes will be call process in which you will be transferred to real staff member at CAPS. There is now a CAPS satellite center at the graduate schools. They have extended weekday and weekend hours and created a CAPS page on social media. They created a virtual tour of CAPS. They will hold a depression screening. We are thinking of holding a mental health town hall.
  2. Kathryn: At Penn Wellness, we had students who want to speak directly with administrators, and some want to hold a town hall. Would it be productive?
  3. Kyle: At the last town hall, it was not very well constructed because it was highly emotional.
  4. Brian: Town hall could be good. Send out screening
  5. Maria: I think town hall could be good, or something on Locust where more students are could be useful. This would increase accessibility for students.
  6. Kathryn: There is a wellness check up and app in creation
  7. Noah: People are talking and feel uncomfortable. Town hall may not be ideal setting for a discussion
  1. Communications